Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

Should The Local Police Be Allowed To Enforce Immigration Laws?
Find answers to your legal question.

Should The Local Police Be Allowed To Enforce Immigration Laws?

Daisy
Rating
Yes, resoundingly YES! Not that I think it should be like a "witch hunt," but when they pull people over for any kind of traffic infractions, I think they should ALWAYS ask for proof of citizenship or legal residency, legal drivers' license, and proper insurance. If, in the course of their duties, they find illegal immigrants, they should hold them and call INS for deportation. This should be STANDARD procedure for ALL police in the USA.

lonewolf1
I think that in the course of their duties, they discover a person being an illegal alien, that person should be detained and turned over to immigration. I don't think that "local" police should go out and make it an illegal alien hunt, but in the course of their duties, turn over any illegal alien to the proper authorities. I know there has been a very big debate along border towns, and I do agree that any level of officer(local, county, tribal, state and of course gov't), should turn over illegal aliens.

schweetums
Rating
Yes.

Eric
I would say with out question YES !!!! No one else is enforcing it which is really sad.

Bert from Oz
Yes - as an immediate and short term measure, though.

That is, police, trained in immigration laws presumably, should have the power to detain and apprehend those breaking them - but they shouldn't be required to continue the custodial process but hold the offender until they can be handed to immigration authorities.

Front line law enforcement are often better placed to detect and apprehend such people in their own communities - but the entire process of detainment, charging, deportation, etc, should be handled by immigration as to not increase police workload.

I believe all police & law agencies should work together - if a crime is committed, it's committed - and it shouldn't be just one agencies job to apprehend the offenders.

That said though, once the offender is caught - different areas are appropriate to deal with different facets of law.

?
Rating
Yes, police should be allowed to enforce EVERY law. They are too tied up with everything else, however, so the government developed the I.N.S. to enforce them instead.

spyderman131
Rating
If Local police enforce federal drug laws than they should enforce federal immigration laws too

K-ren
I think they should.

DAR
Not just allowed but required. It is collusion in crime to create a policy not to ask about a crime. Try thinking it through with counterfeiting. What if a city passed a resolution to be a 'sanctuary city' to not ask if people were counterfeiters. Would you think that was ok?

princess_29_71
Yes, obviously the federal government needs all the help that they can get since they aren't willing to do anything.

TRUTHSEEKER
YES, they should be able to. after they arrest them, they call ins and have them deported. I'm off work tomorrow. I'm calling the mayors office. and I'm going to get the ball rolling on this side. I'm not going to sit by and let my country go to the dogs.

JD
Rating
Deleted Answer:

Should The Local Police
Be Allowed To Enforce (Immigration) Laws?

Good Question ....

Should The Local Police Be Allowed To Enforce (ANY) Laws?

Ignore SOME Laws And Enforce Others ?

Who Decides Which Laws To Enforce ?

We Cannot SELECTIVELY Enforce Our Laws

We Are A Nation Of Laws

Without Law Enforcement
We Are No Better Than Mexico, Iraq, Or Afghanistan

In Response To Carol R And Pamela V (Above)
((Below) Before This Answer Was DELETED)

Whats To KNOW ??

Gotta Greencard ??

Are You A Citizen ??

NO To Either Question
You Get Processed For Immediate Deportation

Its Not Racism
Its Not Rocket Science
Its LAW ENFORCEMENT

Reason of Violation:Chatting & Personal Communications

Rare Indigo
Rating
They should be able to arrest and detain for INS but I think they've got enough on their plate with all the other crap that goes on.

Debra R
yes somebody has to do it

Pamela
Most local police don't even KNOW immigration laws. How could they possibly enforce them?

gokart121
Rating
I believe so. If we're going to have immigration laws, then they need to be enforced. Either enforce the law, or abolish it. Laws with no enforcement carry no weight, and will not be respected. Hence the multi-billion dollar illegal immigration 'industry'. Human trafficking, drug trafficking, god knows what else goes on, it has as its' common denominator 'immigration'...it needs to be handled a lot better, and I think the Democrats will do a good job of addressing it. If they don't, for some reason, there's always recall elections...

ams
Its a law isn't it?

Ethan
if the individual has committed a crime, but no. Its not going to happen, simply because theres too much crap going on.

Carol R
Rating
Absolutely not with the racist issues we already have with police they deserve no more power. They don't know an illegal immigrant from a citizen just by looking at them or pulling them over.

dosmachetes
Rating
Only after a person has committed a felony should the police get involved or in matters of national Security.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why not have mexican workers go home and help their country become a place where people might want to live?
Mexico has natural riches, lots of history, there is no reason it could not be turned into a place that could support its own welfare , indegent people instead of shipping them out...why doesnt ...

All illegal alien sympathizers, please read this...?
President Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes ...

Those Minutemen Border Patrol guys scare me?
do u think some of them are racists and just wanna shoot someone?
Additional Details
i know a lot of u are saying, 'if ur not illegal u have nothing to worry about' and '...

Do u thunk illigel immigrants should be allowed to become citizens?

How come people don't listen to the needs of migrants?
US Legislators don't listen to the needs of Mexican migrants. If they knew how oppressive the Mexican government is towards its people and if they realized how miserable Mexico is they would ...

If illegals are just having babies for free & abusing our healthcare system....?
why do I keep seeing these "clinicas" & "clinicas de mama" pop up on every corner? For those of you with no understanding of Spanish that means doctors & gynecologists - ...

What do you think of 2,350 illegal Mexican women plopping out babies each month in just two County hospitals?
Just at Parrkland and JPS in Fort Worth alone we are overloaded with illegals having babies, they all get OB for free and then they are put on Medicaid. The numbers are three times that for the ...

Should we make Spanish the official language in California or it's better to have two languages?

You can't ride the bus because you speak English too well...?
Now I like legal immigrants, but what the hell? Kids who are learning English get to have a separate bus route from kids who already speak English? Wouldn't it be a better for them to ride ...

What does chigger mean a white called me that when i hit on his girl?

Do you think latinos should also be kicked out of Yahoo answers?

Additional Details
Im chilean and im worried theyll ban me from here ...

How come so many people oppose having a wall to secure our border with Mexico?
Isn't the threat of drug smugglers a threat to our nation along with all the violence that comes from drug smugglers and human smugglers ? America has been adding more and more border agents, ...

What are your thoughts on illegal immigration?

Should Immigrants go or stay? and why?

Are you obsessed with legal immigrants?
Do you wish legal immigrants had stayed home?
Would you like to see them go back home?

What are your toughts on this?...

How do you feel about Americans working and getting pay under the table?
About eight of every ten Americans receiving any kind of goverment help work and receive payment under the table and when they get cought they prefer to quit their job than lose their cheese. and you ...

I'm tired of hearing anti-illegal people?
Look if you have a problem with illegals, then make it just an illegal problem. You guys always whine, but they take jobs, they don't pay taxes, they are on welfare, they commit crimes, they ...

Illegal = criminal?
Recently the local office of the Leaqgue of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) held a protest. I ended up in a "discussion" with a protestor in a nearby store. Her sign stated that she ...

Why do racists think other races are bad when their ignorance just reflects their stupidity?

Against or for immigration?
I have a debate in my history class and I cant decide if I should be against or for immigration in Canada. I'm an immigrant myself, Im thinking about going against immigration. I dont have ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links