Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

What is the difference between a us national and a us permanent resident (green card)?
Find answers to your legal question.

What is the difference between a us national and a us permanent resident (green card)?

I am filing for unemployment online and one of the questions is "Are you a US Citizen or National?" I know I am not a citizen (I am a permanent resident/resident alien with a green card), but I don't know what a National is. Anyone? There doesn't seem to be anything conclusive online.

Adel
Rating
A permenant residency gives you all the right an US citizen except the right to vote and work in certian classified jobs that requires high security clearence. As a permenant resident you are also not required to protect the US land if under attack which an US citizen is obliged to do. On the other hand having an US passport allows you to visit pretty much anywhere in the world without having to worry aobut visas.

growing inside
A US national is someone from the US terrotries like Puerto Rico. You are not a national.

MikeGolf
A US National is somebody who has the right to permanently reside in the US but is not a US citizen.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

K-1 Visa Questions...?
hey, I have a couple questions about the K-1 fiancee visa
My fiance is America and I'm a Canadian citizen and we plan on getting married. However I have some questions about the visa.

Do people who have seasonal jobs get unemployment during the few months they are off work?
If they have 2 jobs and one is seasonal, but the other one isn't, do they still get unemployment from the seasonal job for the few months they are off?
Additional Details
I was just ...

Hey people. I am a U.S green card holder. In December, I am getting married to permanent resident from Canada.?
I am 24, have a bachelor's degree and have work experience of 3 years.
How long do you guys think it will take for me to have my work permit and permanent resident card In canada, if we get ...

Local immigration office in Huntington Beach, CA?
can anyone please tell me where this office is at, even if there are more than one in this city.
thanks I really need to know....

My fiancee wants to stay in canada for 1 year - we cant apply common law (1 year living together) any suggest?
she is an austrian citizen 25yrs old - we have been in a relationship for 2 years but i dont believe we can apply for conjugal or common law sponsorships. are there any tourist / temporary visas we ...

How much are passports for Nigerian citizens to america?

Will the left accept that at some point?
Britain will have to impose draconian immigration laws simply due to strain on housing, education, transport and ultimately even living space
Additional Details
Yuri: So the urban ...

I want to move to another country?
currently live in usa, im thinking about london barcelona rio de janeiro, what places would you reccomend, also is there any job opportunities for foreigners etc. i speak english, and spanish
A...

What is the best place in USA to see soup kitchens?
I`m an argentine journalist and my boss at the newspaper ask me to take some photos showing the dare poverty in USA.What is the best place to visit, is it Detroit?
Waiting for your answer I ...

Hispanics are hella cool. How can we can more of them to come to the U.S.?

Additional Details
I'm not being sarcastic. I like L...

Dual citizen application application for india?
born in india and accuried canadian citizen just two years ago
i am filling application for dual
there is qyestion which method i used to acuisition present nationality
by birth

Can I get a refund and/or exchange?
If I get a mail-order bride, and she will not work, or if she breaks, can I send her back for a refund or exchange?
I plan on paying for everything with my Visa (of course!) card; does their ...

Green Card and Immigrant in US?
My sister has green card already, does anyone know what procedure that I have to do if I want to get a green card too?

THANKS!...

How can i got a govt.job?

Do U think Churches should lose their lose their tax exempt status once they become involved in immigration?
Skip this if you have a attention reading condition requring you to read
A line of about 140 religious marchers — led by a Christian carrying a large cross and ending with a Buddhist monk ...

Do you think illegal immigration stand up to Gods law?

New Immigration amendment?
How many would like to see a new Immigration amendment that states all immigrants are asked what they are and if they reply with anything other than American , they are put into a reduction camp ...

Will get banned if i complete my 3yrs visa contract in uae?
i am under an ordinary labor in a private company. i visa peroid is 3yrs. if i complete my visa term without voilating UAE labour law, will i get labor or any ban. Or i can get into another job just ...

Should I move to Canada, England, or France?
I recently watched Michael Moore's "Sicko" and I'm appalled. My dad has diabetes, my mom needs knee surgery, and none of us have health insurance. My dad is paying too much for ...

Do i need to take ielts after staying for 2 years in aus with student visa ?
suppose that i got my student visa,and studied for 2 years in australia,then for PR or work visa do i need to take my ielts again ? i took my ielts now and i got 7 bands.Is ielts valid only for 2 ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links