Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

Why do people attack children born in the USA to immigrant parents?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do people attack children born in the USA to immigrant parents?

Why do people attack the children of immigrants even when the children are born in the United States and have the same citizenship as anyone else born here?

Don't they know about the 14th Amendment and that it says "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."
Additional Details
Maybe racism is the only thing that can rationalize attacks on children who are clearly citizens.

bj_osterhout
Rating
I'm with you I'm SICK of hearing the word "anchor babies"
I'm sure half the population was born to immigrant parents..
I can see why some people are against illegal immigration but against immigrant's children?? That is just sad, they are innocent children.

A very very VERY small percentage of immigrants, if any, actually come here illegally thinking in their heads "oh yeah once I have babies and when my kid's turn 18 in about hmmm 20 years they can make me legal!" That's not to say it's NEVER been done.

3 problems with the "anchor baby" term:
Number 1 - The majority of immigrants, especially women, are very ill-informed about U.S. immigration laws and don't even know that their kid's COULD make them legal
Number 2 - Those who entered without a visa (aka illegally) are no longer elgible for family-based legalization making the whole concept of anchor babies naught.
Number 3 - It would take at LEAST 19 years for this to occur and the majority of immigrants never intend to stay that long, although many of them do end up staying that long, they always dream of going back home and many still believe in their hearts that they will.

Naturescent
Rating
First of all, people are not attacking children. And your reference is to immigrants. I don't believe I have heard of anyone complaining about immigrants.

Now, if you're talking about illegals - then you are talking about people who came to the USA without permission - instantly making them criminals. Then they cross the border just to have the "anchor baby" and costing taxpayers billions of dollars.

The problem with this whole thing is that they are all illegal. The 14th Amendment was written to legal citizens of the USA and was for establishing citizenship to the slaves - already in the USA by a legal citizen. I'm NOT condoning slavery - just that it was a part of our history and the reason that the 14th Amendment was addressing these issues.

The US Constitution was written to We the People, By the People and For the People of the United States of America. No where does it mention that the illegals would be able to enter our country illegally and have legal citizen babies. That is just a really messed up interpretation of our Constitution.
http://idexer.com/2006/05/28/gop-delegates-declare-14th-amendment-does-not-grant-automatic-citizenship.html

GOP delegates declare 14th amendment does not grant automatic citizenship
Republican delegates to the state convention stayed united for the most part Saturday by adopting a platform in support of the war on terrorism, including government monitoring of the "communications of terrorists and their allies." But in one of the few changes to the platform, delegates approved language to deny automatic citizenship to so-called "anchor babies," the children of illegal immigrants born in the United States. "The 14th amendment is not intended for the babies of illegal aliens," said Laura Carter, a delegate from Spokane County. The 14th amendment states that "all persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof are citizens of the United States." Meeting at the Yakima Convention Center, 745 delegates from around the state spent half the day listening to candidates and the other discussing the platform those candidates will take to voters. Attendance totaled more than 1,000 when guests of delegates were counted.

http://www.vdare.com/asp/printPage.asp?url=http://www.vdare.com/sutherland/weigh_anchor.htm
http://www.theamericanresistance.com/issues/anchor_babies.html
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,246798,00.html
http://www.mothersagainstillegalaliens.org/?page_id=90
http://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citizenship/original_intent.html
Anchor babies, ILLEGAL aliens and the 14th amendment

The 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads in part:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and the State wherein they reside."

In 1866, Senator Jacob Howard clearly spelled out the intent of the 14th Amendment by writing:

"Every person born within the limits of the United States, and subject to their jurisdiction, is by virtue of natural law and national law a citizen of the United States. This will NOT, of course, include persons born in the United States who are FOREIGNERS, ALIENS, who belong to the families of ambassadors or foreign ministers accredited to the Government of the United States, but will include every other class of persons. It settles the great question of citizenship and removes all doubt as to what persons are or are not citizens of the United States. This has long been a great desideratum in the jurisprudence and legislation of this country."

Babies born to illegal alien mothers within U.S. borders are called anchor babies because under the 1965 immigration Act, they act as an anchor that pulls the illegal alien mother and eventually a host of other relatives into permanent U.S. residency.
http://uspolitics.tribe.net/thread/78d88e51-3b9e-45f0-be1c-6ccb135f2c96
http://www.archives.gov/national-archives-experience/charters/constitution_amendments_11-27.html#14

$6 Billion Dollars a year...
http://www.aim.org/special_report/5511_0_8_0_C/

The accurate description of a foreign national illegally residing in America is illegal alien. An illegal alien is a criminal subject to as mush as six months in jail for first offense and subject to federal felony charges for subsequent entries after deportation.

justgetitright
Rating
An anchor baby, is the product of illegal immigration, that
is a crime, how can you create something that is legal
by committing a crime and then get the object of your
crime as a reward (citizenship)

This would be like robbing a bank, turning yourself in for
the reward and then getting to keep all of the money that
you robbed without any punishment.

I know what the 14th Amendment says, but it is left to
interpretation as it was meant to give the slaves
children legal status. Yes you can say that the slaves
were illegal immigrants except that they were not the
ones committing the crime, they were the victims. It
would be different if we were dragging citizens across
the border to work the fields, but these criminals are
sneaking across.

I'll tell you what, I don't want them here, so you folks
that do can pay their welfare, health care and everything
else they steal from us. Those of us that don't want
them here will just keep our money in our pockets.

taxIneedHELP
Rating
I know I am going to get a lot of flax for this answer, but that's ok because I have to say what I feel.
First, let me say that I hate racism. My children are 21, 22, 25 & 26 and I have always taught them that beneath the skin we all are the same. When you wound us we all bleed red. I also, have taught them to never get into anyone else's business unless it concerns the mistreatment of children, the elderly, or animals.
But, I consider ( and this does not apply to all immigrants, legal or ilegal) having a child for the sol purpose of being able to stay in this country, a gross mistreatment of that child; believe me I do know a few of people who fall into this categrory.
But mistreating a child for something the parents did (whether for the right or wrong reasons), in my book, is totally unacceptable!! and anyone seeing this should protect that child.

SoftTSoul
Rating
No it's you and others who do not know the 14Th and 15Th amendments go together. Read them and get a clue.

NONAME
Rating
The 14th Amendment was about Slaves and NOT about Anchor Babies enabling their parents and 64 of their "relatives" a free ride into the US and onto our Social Services System.

Congress must clarify the 14th Amendment and end the Anchor Baby Loophole.

cj_sez
Rating
It's not the children which are being attacked. It is the law which is under criticism.
The term anchor baby refers to an alien's child's role in facilitating "chain migration" under the provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Services Act of 1965. A US-born child cannot in fact sponsor his/her parents for legal immigration to the United States until he/she becomes an adult, and illegal immigrant parents do not gain any additional legal rights based solely on the fact that they have had a child born in the US. However, illegal immigrant parents of US-born children often avoid deportation by immigration judges because they are the biological parents of minors.
It is the inducement to enter the US illegally and have a baby to avoid deportation and establish a foothold here that is wrong. The baby is not at fault. The baby as the law is now is a citizen. Many of us supprt repealing baby anchor laws as they encourage illegal aliens to come here.
Many nations have repealed birthright citizenship to children born of illegal foreign nationals and in some cases, to children born of legally-present foreign nationals.
I support repealing the laws, that unless the parents are here legally and are seeking to become citizens, the child should be the same nationality as the parents. I would not support making that law retroactive. Temporary guest workers and tourists are not on the path to citizenship and if give birth here, their children should not automatically receive citizenship, either.
The intent of the 14th Amendment was to assure citizenship to the former slaves and their children. The Supreme Court has never ruled emphatically that the children of illegal aliens should be granted birthright citizenship. The cases that went before the SC involved parents who were here legally.

serenely, soMEone
Rating
We're really against the recent misinterpretation of the 14th amendment by the Supreme Court in 1982, Plyler v. Doe.

Fact: The 14th Amendment was hotly debated for over a year on the Senate floor, much of it concerning the slim possibility that the Court might interpret the immigration clause as applying to "aliens" (Congressional Globe, 39th).

A 3/5ths vote should have been easy, considering southern states had no choice. Readmission to the Union was contingent on a "yes" vote.

But enough of the northern states refused to ratify it. Why? They respected the wishes of their constituents, many of whom had, themselves, gone through the rigors of immigration into the U.S. The people of the U.S. believed in following the law and that the law respect them.

Before Plyler vs. Doe, the court had never completely been able to ignore the intent (again, well-recorded) of that Amendment. In 1982, 4 of 9 still argued in favor of law and respecting reason.

Five, though came up with a scheme to "legally" disregard it. Though the intent of the Senate was perfectly clear to them (both the majority and minority cited it on numerous occasions in their opinions) the 5 argued that, according to Common Law, it is not proper to regard any language outside the amendment, itself. (A brand-new argument...never been used before, by the way)

That obscene decision by 5 Americans, standing against the remaining 250,000,000, basically destroyed the immigration laws that had served us so well till then. In addition, the court added roughly $150,000,000,000/year to our tax burden. Not counting the expense to us from criminal activity (70% of Latinos drop out of high-school [If it's free, it must not be all that important], 80% by some estimates join gangs...not surprising, crime got them free medical and housing, schools, roads, water treatment... on and on. Crime must pay.)

qwerty

Smug Monkey
Rating
i hadn't heard of "attacks", and i don't condone violence toward anyone.
That said, I strongly feel the "anchor baby" program is a major problem in the illegal immigrant fight.
When people like Bill Richardson ADMIT their parents lied to get into the United States just to have children here, it's obvious the rule is being abused. He now can run for the Presidency, despite the fact that his parents should not have been allowed in for that purpose.
The anchor baby program has slowly whittled away social services and will continue to until it is repealed or changed.
If living in the United States is your goal, get in line. Don't cheat and plant an anchor in the hopes they can drag you across the border at a later date.
I have TOO MANY friends who have done the legal route and continue to wait in line for them to be leapfrogged by Illegals scheming in anyway they can.
I am not anti immigrant, I am anti ILLEGAL immigrant.
Anchor babies should be considered the same.

wes s
I do not believe that this amendment was intended by our forefathers to include people who sneak across our border illegally and have children here just to make them citizens. Think about it. It was intended for people of legal status not criminals here illegally. Do you really think they would include a loophole in our constitution that would include such nonsense???

Yahoo is Stupid
Rating
You said: "my ancestors have been here since the 17th Century and fought on both sides in the American Revolution."

So, even your ancestors couldn't decide where their loyalties should lie? So, your excuse is that stupidity runs through your veins.

Go ahead, report me. That's what everyone does when they realize how witty and RIGHT I am.

Juan I
Rating
Ryan, the 14th amendment says in part;

".. AND* subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the USA...." * Meaning born and subject.

The illegal alien parents were not then or not now "Subject to the jurisdiction.." So as usual the 14th amend was circumvented by the illegal lobby and has not yet been to the supreme court. It may soon as Texas is bringing a case on the fast track to test this.

brenda r
Rating
Racism smacism! If they are born to illegals they are illegal and anchor babies policy needs to be voted out like Canada! Damn how simple is that!

Julia B
Rating
We aren't attacking the kids. We are mad as hell at the parents for using these kids as their lottery tickets to stay in the US. There is such a thing as birth control and personal responsibility. I am sick of people using their kids to get benefits and to try to stay here. If you don't come here legally, don't have any kids and take yourself right back home. I don't care who you are or where you are from!

Flash
Rating
Because the world's full of damned racists, that's why. When you think about it, it's as depressingly simple as it is moronic...

rockerbowler18
Racism is one...that's obvious.

A second reason: the same reason a child may be attacked because his brother or other sibling isn't liked. Families are often viewed as one, and the bloodline as distorted, so if your mother is a criminal (or father, uncle, etc.) you are thought of as "that kid who could go crazy at any moment."

daydreamer2
Are these kids "immigrants?" or are they "illegals?" Either way, I think you got it backward. You expect people in America to not be offended by a bunch of little snot nosed absconders of their own country to come here and act all entitled when they are NOT! This bunch of kids are really learning to LOVE America, and it would have to come from learning it from their own parents, who are even more ungrateful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7YrkpKNB7M and p.s. I don't condone "attacking" any children, but you didn't give any reference as to how children were/are being attacked.

kijafha
Rating
This law was originally designed so that an American born in America to American parents did not have to apply for citizenship but was granted citizenship automatically with their birth certificate, unlike countries American's ancestors previously lived in where citizenship was granted only to a certain demographic. For example the rich or landlords.

This law was never meant to be a loophole for Mexicans to create what is known as an "anchor-baby" and use this innocent child as a pawn to circumvent U.S. immigration law.
This is just another example of abuses of the American system by Mexico's citizens.

It's no coincidence that there's 300,000 anchor babies born to illegal aliens each year in the U.S. Read more here:
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/6-29-2005-72313.asp

Most countries who have similar laws require that at least one parent be a full citizen. Most countries don't even have this law.

Close this loophole, call your local representatives!

judy "ORIGINAL"
Rating
You are just right with this comment, and yes people tend to forget about the 14th amendment, and mistreat and misjudge them, I am an inmigrant myself and my son is 22 years old, and trust me he got blond hair, and green eyes, but defnitely you can tell that he's parents are hispanics, so I DO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT (who feels it knows it)'quoting for a buju banton song (jamaican artist).

Reyna
One word...RACISM...what else could it be?

jackie
Rating
It's racism.....they only attack children of Mexicans. They call them anchor babies, whatever that means. But I got news for them.....they are AMERICANS, whether the racists like it or not.

Obama=Establishment Demagogue
I find it appalling....

shortdude42004
Rating
I don't know why. I just learned that they are even able to run for president.

BTW My dad is a immigrant and also employs four people.

RAY N
Just because you were born here doesn't give you the right to 'bad mouth 'American and we are to just listen to YOU ! No you attack we can and well fight back and when you suffer defeat it's not manly to cry!

♥♥Cheelicious♥♥♥
Rating
Because its easy to sit behind a computer and attack anyone and children are an easy target. Anyone who defends people against those being attacked is accused of being "related" "married to" or "sleeping with" an illegal immigrant, it makes it easier for them to justify their hatred.

ricmon87
That is sad that they refuse to called these children American (and they are), and use the term "anchor babies.

And to answer your question, it is plain un-American to think that way, to attack a child for being born, for becoming a citizen, because their parents might not have been legal. So what?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If USA deports all illegal aliens at once, What would happen to our economy?
Most illegal aliens come to USA to work on jobs that we don't want or jobs with such low salaries that won’t allow us to make a living and sustain our families.
Let's say the ...

How frequently do you hear a conversation in your community not spoken in English?
How frequently do you hear a conversation in your community not spoken in English?...

What's wrong with...?
Calling yourself Mexican-American if you are Mexican, yet have American citizenship?

I consider myself Mexican-American. I am Mexican, I was born in America. I love it here and I would ...

Aren't Americans kinda elitist when it comes to speaking other languages?
The news has been bashing Obama about how we should teach our kids English and how its embarrassing to be abroad and can't speak the local language. I felt he was right. Whether you like it or ...

85% Of the Worlds Countries have a National language Why Not America?
I saw tonight that 85% of the Worlds countries have a regonized national Language. Why then do people Complain when it's suggested America make English our National Language? I also saw tonight ...

As a Romanian isn't it ridiculous to think that the UK can keep us out from working?
all i need to do is set up my own crap ...

How can you tell someone is legal or not?

Additional Details
Can you tell someone is an illegal immigrant just by looking at them?...

Why are Americans so sensitive about Hispanics speaking Spanish in the US ?
Isn't supposed that the US is a free country? What's the problem if people prefere Spanish than English? Remember that a big precentage of the US population has Hispanic origins, and most ...

What do you think of illegal immigrants that didn't crossed the border illegally?
Many illegal immigrants are visa overstayers....

What do you think about illegal inmigrants?

What's the politically correct to call racists?

Do you think it is wrong to put a mother in jail if she is an illegal immigrant?
There was an early morning raid in a Houston company where 160 illegal immigrants were arrested. 60 of them were women that were pregnant or underage. Do you think it is right to arrest a pregnant ...

Are you banning mexican food?
My absolute favorite food place is Uncle Julio's. I cant seem to stomach now. I cant stand everything in spanish and english now. Anyone feel the same?...

Immigrants?
I feel like a second class citizen in my own country due to all the immigration does anyone else feel the same way . I was not old enough to understand the rivers of blood speech by enoch powell in ...

How many of you will boycott employers of illegals?
You complain so much about illegals, how many of us will actually go this far? My beer, and my underwear are the only things I own that are made in the USA....

Britain will need to build 200 homes a day to house expected immigrants?
How on earth can we cope with this
Additional Details
Elvis I didnt think of that, but I bet Gordon did!...

Why do we as a nation do nothing about immigration.?
our tiny island is over crowded,and we are all suffering, not enough jobs because immigrants are cheaper, not enough housing because immigrants are living in them all our resources are being used up ...

Why do Illegal Mexicans like flying the flag of Mexico in the US ?
Are they not smart enough to know that It is insulting to Americans to see that filthy rag in our country. Why don't the Illegal mexicans that are so proud of that mexican flag, go back home......

Is the UK now a country with no BACKBONE,im embarrased by it all,IMMIGRATION and CRIME are the issues that?
most concern us today,yet no one will stand up and be counted,for fear of losing their jobs,what a ridiculous situation we are in now,spineless politicians leading us all into oblivion,do you agree....

Why are people against mexican immigration?
there is no valid reason to be against it.......

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links