Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

Why do so many cities in California have Hispanic names?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why do so many cities in California have Hispanic names?

San Diego, San Juan, San Francisco, Los Angeles - all hispanic names! When did this happen? Isn't this just pandering to the immigrants? Why don't we change the names back to American names?

StephenWeinstein
Rating
Q. Why do so many cities in California have Hispanic names?
A. Because California used to be part of Mexico.

Q. When did this happen?
A. When the cities were founded. On average, I would say the late 1700's.

Q. Isn't this just pandering to the immigrants?
A. No, because the "immigrants" were the English-speaking persons who came from the rest of the United States during the gold rush. Mexicans were in California first.

Q. Why don't we change the names back to American names?
A. Unless you mean whatever the Chumash, Pechanga, etc., called the cities before whites arrived, they had no prior names to which they could change "back".

TyranusXX
Rating
I really hope you are being sarcastic!!

wingshooter08
Rating
Because this state was part of Mexico at one time and the towns were there under those names, California didn't become a state of the US uuntil 1856! You don't do history?

David in Madison
Rating
You are kidding, right? What planet were you raised on? Those are the original names.

Mr. Pickles
It was part of Mexico before it was California. It was known as Alta California and colonized by the Spanish Empire in 1769. It remained part of Mexico until 1846 and then became The California Republic. In 1850, California was admitted to the union.

The names you speak of were around long before California was a state.

I Bent My Wookie
Rating
Duh, it was part of Mexico.

Jamerican
It once belong to Mexico.

Jackie
Are you serious?? They're hispanic names cuz they were all part of mexico at some point.. You should read hsitory more often

Angelita
They were named by the Spanish colonists, this used to be the "New Spain", and then it was Mexico, and now it's part of the United States, and no we will NEVER CHANGE the names in California, if you don't like it maybe you should move to New England or something. I was born in SAN FRANCISCO and I'm gonna die in SAN FRANCISCO.

Benny M
Rating
Someone needs to take history class again. Hell it's actually part of American history.

E_ddie56
Rating
I'm curious to know what you think the names were to begin with.

gordishhhh....89
umm because that used to be Mexico... and Polk stole it...they never have had American names in the 1st place...
it seems to me like some one missed out on American history in school...

LeighAnn D
Rating
Are you serious?

elaine
Rating
you can't change something back to american names if it was never an american name in the first place, and just a thought to ponder on why does everyone keep calling the everyone born in the u.s. americans and people not born here non american the truth is that anyone born in north america, south american, and central american, are americans as well. considering they have american in the names think about that

Charrokanroll
Because the Spaniards conquered Aztlan before the USA expanded to the west.
The U.S southwest was part of New Spain and Mexico

Gretl
Rating
Because CA used to be a part of Baja. Mexicans who had lived here when CA was a part of Mexico named what is now our counties and cities. They settled all of CA. This was before CA became a state of the US. The names are fine with me. I live here.

DAR
Rating
They are American names.

DJLOU714
Rating
Because it was once mexico and it still is, or soon will be

viva la raza!

chcgoguy82
Rating
Because during the Civil war with the US and Spain, Spain tried to gain control of California, Florida, Arizona and Lousina, that's why some of these cities have "spanish names" by in reality they are named after the latin languange

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Middle-East Racism?
There's so much Middle East racism in the USA. What do you think when you see people of Middle Eastern nature. Do you automatically assume terrorist, or do you pass without second thought?

Are you sick of the Brits coming to the US?
I live here in Florida and they are coming here in droves because of the exchange rate, that and their country has more Pakistinians than Pakistan itself, then they get over here and tell us what is ...

Should we build a bridge from Florida to Cuba so people don't drown when they try to come over to the US?

When did you last visit Mexico?
In Mexico, education is provided to those who want it. Schooling is free. Kids have to maintain their grades to be entitled to free schooling and an education.

Doesn't seem ...

Is it now racist for British people to have rights?
I read in the paper that a minister has finally said what people are thinking "House Britons first", basically she said people who have lived here longest should get priority over newcomers ...

Do you think a person that has been in U.S for 22 years is eligible for citizenship?
The person has worked in the U.S,has had children in the U.S and has not committed a ...

Are there any 'jobs that americans won't do'...?
Or just a job that 'the government' won't do?
Additional Details
That's right scoop, american citizens ARE the government of the United States! Well, on paper anyway.....

Can you see it?
The happy and beautiful children face when they are handed a new pair of shoes.
The satisfaction of eating a full meal.
The satisfaction of not going to bed hungry.
The shine in their ...

Seriously though, what do you think the odds are that the border states will be returned to Mexico?
Lots of pro-illegal fanatics (and the illegals themselves) think it's just a matter of time before the US returns the Southwest to Mexico. After we beat Mexico in a war (two in texas) and payed ...

What do you really think of immigration?
I am an immigrant and I am very confused of what I really think of me and my fellow immigrants. Sometimes I feel like we shouldnt be here but in other times I feel like we have a right just like ...

Yet Another Shooting At A Mall Do You Think It Was An Illegal?
Yet another violent shooting in another small town in the U.S.A. In Omaha I think. I wonder if an illegal who did the shooting?

Maybe he confused Omaha with Oklahoma?

http://...

Am i considered a legal immigrant or illegal immigrant?
when i came to United States 7 years ago i was 10 and i came with my passport and everything, my parents did all the crap needed to get inside of US legally. After 7 years we still here and still ...

What America would be without immigrants?
what America would be without immigrants?...

Do you feel that your state is doing a good job of dealing with illegal immigration?

How are mexican immigrant a benefit to american society?

Why are mexicans the first thing people think about when they talk about the illegal immigration issue?
It is not just Mexicans, you know...actually, southamericans, cubans and people from central america jump the border to Mexico to either stay there or immigrate here, then lie and say that they are M...

Why does the U.K govt not put a restriction/block on immigration?

Is America going downhill?

Sorry but im just really angry?
Will justice finally be served against the LA cops against thier blantant illegal force at the immigration Rally?
Doesnt the FBI stepping in show they went against thier duties?
Also for ...

I had to go through legal immigration channels. What makes you think you're better than me?
Let's all panic some more about "terrorist threats to national security" while our borders are wide open in the southwest. LOL... Slap a sambrero on an Al Quaida Member and I bet you ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links