Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

Why should I have to know how to speak spanish to get a job in America? Shouldnt it be the other way around?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why should I have to know how to speak spanish to get a job in America? Shouldnt it be the other way around?

I think it is absurd to tell a United States citizen in order to get a job at Auto zone you must be able to speak spanish fluently. My nephew just graduated high school, he went to apply for a job at Auto Zone, and was told he had to be bilingual in English and Spanish, this is in Quinlin Texas, who gave them the right to demand that in America? If they cannot speak English then they are here not here legally. The law states you have to speak, read and wright English to live and work here in the USA. They demand it of other foreigners, yet they are telling us that we must speak Spanish. Hog wash.

Sidwell
you obviously are a very discriminatory american.

I bet for every job that you get denied for, you will file a lawsuit against that company just because they discriminated against you.

So if the ad says - must speak spanish - then WHY do you apply?? that makes you a stupid nitwit.

PS you can always MOVE AWAY from texas - say move north to Maine or Minnesota or Montana - they speak english in all those states.

wait a minute - Maine, NH and vermont might have some french speakers because they are all next door to a french speaking province!!

oops you cannot go to new england at all. try minnesota or montana.

minnesota is out - there are lot of scandinavians there - you have to speak norwegian or swedish -

last stop - montana - thats out too - BC next door has a lot of chinese and Alberta has a lot of ukrainians - you dont speak those languages either

mm - so where can you move to?

tonalc2
Rating
It's not nationwide, it's a job requirement specific to that store and that area, which obviously deals with a lot of Hispanic customers, and they obviously want someone who can communicate with their customers so they can *make money.*

Many people are here legally who cannot speak English well.

left the forum
Rating
Because, if you apply for a job that requires a person to know Spanish or another language, then you should know that language, simple as that.

Business are business, the people that hire can ask anything they want, that is the reality in the business world.

Besides, how do you know they are illegal just because they speak Spanish? Many American citizens and legal citizens know English and Spanish, and they are the ones that are going to get those jobs.

And I think Auto Zone, is not hiring illegals. They are hiring American citizens and legal residents that meet their requirements.

And in the business world, customers and money is the one that really matter. In ANY business. So when people apply for a job, employers are not there to cater the employees. Employees need to work to help the company to make money. You comply with the requirements, then you get the job. That's the way it is.

Crazy Dave
Rating
If you live in the U.S. learn to f@cking speak English! Unfortunately there are a bunch of idiots that do not feel the same way. If I immigrated to another country "legally of course" I would learn their language out of respect for that country and its citizens!

modoodoo76
Rating
What law says you have to speak, read and "wright" (it's "write," by the way...how ironic) English to live and work in the US? Answer: there is no such law.

Secondly, my guess is that Auto Zone requires it because many of their customers speak Spanish (as you live in Texas) and they see it as a good business practice. I can only imagine how much business they would lose if their customers came in and were faced by some hateful salesperson like yourself. Honestly, how you live in Texas, of all places, and don't know any Spanish is really beyond me.

Seth D
Rating
Sidwell: I could simply not go by without responding to your comment about my state of Minnesota. Although we do not have as large of a latino population as some other states (particularly those in the southwest) we do have a visible latino presence here. In fact we have a Mexican consulate in the capital city of St. Paul. Is Spanish useful in a job? Yes, you will see job postings here that require you to be English-Spanish bilingual to be able to serve speakers of both languages. Currently I am a Bilingual Consumer Contact Center Assistant at a company here and was able to get the job because I studied the Spanish language in high school, college, and in Mexico.

Minnesota is in fact a quite well-educated and prosperous state despite the image that Hollywood has given us in films like "Fargo".

As far as the language issue goes of course I agree that those who live in the United States should learn English rather than DEMAND that the United States accomodate them. However, when companies hire bilingual personnel they do so not because they are FORCED to but rather because they voluntarily choose to speak the language of their customers and thus become a more profitable business. For example, when you go to Mexico you will meet many people in the travel and tourism industry who speak english. This is not because American tourists can force them to do so but rather because Mexicans know that they will get their business if they speak their language. U.S. companies are doing somewhat the same thing with the immigrant population. However, for whatever it is worth bear in mind that despite the massive Spanish-speaking population coming into our borders it is nearly impossible in most of the country to get a university education and a professional job without gaining fluency in the English language. I mean, can you even graduate from a good university in a state like California or Texas if you do not know English? English is and will continue to be for the foreseeable future the language of upward mobility and opportunity in the United States.

Sdfg D
Rating
I totally agree with u! im only a sophmore but i might not pass this year because they r making us take spanish! we have to take it 2 years to go to a 4 year college and 1 year to even be someone or get a job. i dont know if they are doing this everywhere but its the most messed up thing.

MD2be
Rating
Effects of mass migration.

Ya heard me
Rating
I agree it is ridiculous. It is all for the mighty dollar and it is hurting U.S. tax paying citizens. Write/email/call your state reps on a regular basis to complain.

Joel W
Yes. The illegal aliens are voting in our elections at this point, and with the permission of the most powerful woman in this country. Nancy Pelosi needs those votes to maintain her position, and it could be we all will have to learn Spanish.. or perish.

I.C.E. Man
I Agree 100000000%

Speak ENGLISH or GET OUT!

And Joel, ILLEGAL CAN'T VOTE

JohnF
Rating
I also live in Texas..the situation is totally out of hand..Illegal entry into this country is a felony.,why aren't these rules enforced..they have ruined our schools, over populated jails, and hospitals..our older citizens are suffering because of this "BS".. try sneaking into Mexico .. don't think we will ever hear from you again..should be taken down at the border any way possible.

HANDBANANA10
Are these people who are posting not from Texas? It is a little absurd to think that because I was born and raised in America, have a college degree and qualifications, am unable to get a job based on inability fluently speaking a language that I shouldn't HAVE to learn. Nearly every single job either requires that you speak spanish or, at least, prefers it. It is discriminatory. If you disagree it is either because you do not live in Texas or you speak Spanish, I am sure. In most countries a citizen is required to learn their countries language, not the other way around....

frank
they should speak english regardless of the economy.thats a hate crime againts americans who dont know the language,just because that race feels powerfull in there language will never be in constitution,and just because therer of that race doesnt make them better and physcologically its in the mentall ability to conquer.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If I have dual citizenship (Canadian & American) can I come home (Canada) for health care?
I want to possibly go to the States when I'm older to work, but I despise the health care system - is it legal to go home to Canada for health care? Getting stuck in the crazy American pay-as-...

I'm just wondering does anyone notice all the illeagle mexicans??? Im not being rasist. Im just wondering.....?

If mexico was a state would you still complain?
i was thinking about this. You dont see many people complaining about people who live in one state, and work in another. Example is here in portland oregon, we have a lot of people who live in ...

If you apply for job in your country,do you normally have an interview?What happens?
If you apply for a job in your country ,do you normally have an interview?What happens?...

Have someone got good graphes of immigration from 1830 till now?
Maybe someone got a good internetside or somthing like that. T...

Who would you contact to move to Germany by yourself and you need a personnal live-in tutor for German?
I'm moving to Germany in a year's time (hopefully, if everything goes well). I have no idea who to contact for the following:
1.) VISA (this may be the biggest problem b/c I'm ...

Should i include my social security number on a job application if they ask for it?
I'm only 17, but i've always been told to not give that away, at least untill AFTER i get the job. But i don't want to hurt my chances at the job because i leave it blank, should i ...

Cost of immigration compared to cost to keep them out?
so i just read an answer where someone sited that the cost of illegal immigrants is 90 billion dollars. So if that is the total cost of all illegal immigrants , then why are we upset. Couldn't ...

Canadian student visa?
Hi there i have finished my medicals for the Canadian visa from India will i get my visa?...

Am I entitled to canadian and/or Australian citizenship?
I was born in England, My parents are both Irish. I was told that because of the commonwealth I can get passports for both these countries.All I actually want to do is work for a summer in either but ...

I want to open orkut but it is not open there is written tha access has been denied how can i open it ?

Does anyone know the requirements needed for a US citizen to marry a Swiss citizen in Switzerland? Thank you?
I want to marry my Swiss fiance in Switzerland, but I don't know if I have to do the application from here or if we could do it there in Switzerland. Every time he calls the registry office in Z...

Can someone use an Emergency Visa to gain Permanent residence into a country?
If someone gets a reason to come to a country using an Emergency Visa, once they land are they obligated to go back or can they apply for permanent residence or even refugee status thereafter. W...

Visit Visa While I-130 is under Process?
I had applied under i-130, i had been advised that i can apply for visit visa mean while my i-130 is under process. What thing should i do that chances of getting visit visa increase ? and Also some ...

My bro-n-law worked w a fake ssn for 4yrs. He is now legal, married w a legal ssn. How should he file taxes?
Basically my brother in law made up a ssn 4 yrs ago and used that number to work. He entered the country legally but was not supposed to work. He has filed taxes every year he has worked using that ...

My father is an immigrant detainee. need help!!?
okay my father is currently in an immigration detention center. today he was given a choice to either sign to go back to his country or hire a lawyer to appeal for a hearing. the thing is that my ...

I'm a EU citizen about to marry a US citizen...will my partner become automatically EU citizen?

Help! Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrested my brother!?
Help! Where can I locate my brother? ICE detained him two days ago when he went to renew his green card. My brother is a refugee and does not have any felony conviction against him. We have been ...

I received my US passport today?
i am a new citizen and apply for passport today i received my passport but when i apply the passport post office took my naturalization certificate and today i only received my passport
where ...

Why do so many people say there is no such thing as "Irish illegal" immigrants living in the U.S.?
The prime minister of Ireland today is appearing before a joint session of Congress to make a plea on behalf of illegal Irish immigrants after disclosing that he has spent the past several months ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links