Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

A drunk driver crashed his car into my house....?
Find answers to your legal question.

A drunk driver crashed his car into my house....?

I was under the impression that because he was arrested, and the accident was obviously not my house's fault, that his car insurance would have to pay for the damages to my house. However, my mother thinks that I will have to ultilmately claim this on my home owners insurance. Has anyone else ever had to deal with this?
Additional Details
I got a copy of the police report yesterday, and already started the claim paperwork. They are supposed to send an auditor out to our house by Wednesday.


Luis R
I just had that same situation 2 years ago. My wife crashed our car into the neighbors townhouse and our insurance assumed all the expense to repair their house. Did you get his insurance information? Call them everyday, ten times a day until they fix you up!

Unfortunately you might have to claim some of the damage on your homeowner’s policy if his limits of property damage are not enough to cover the repairs, hopefully it will be. Wait and see what his insurance says (but don't wait to long), you might want to go ahead and speak with your agent to let him/her know what’s going on.

I wish you the best of luck on this and I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Take care.

File the claim with your homeowner's insurance carrier. They'll go after the driver and his insurance company for compensation. Assuming that the driver had coverage, you should get your deductible back on your homeowner's policy.

Papa John
I'm almost positive that his auto insurance will pay for damages. A person's insurance almost always pays for their damage to other's property. Just as your homeowners will pay for your neighbors house if your child should do damage to it.

Above are good. Also, contact your Agent that handle your house insurance and tell him/her what going on, they may help push this or give you better advise than you get here.

If he has insurance, then they will cover, even if he only has a basic liability policy. Make sure that you are getting estimates in the meantime so you know what it's going to cost to repair. Include amounts such as any furniture in the house (if it was that bad) and your time spent having to get the estimates. Include time you have to take off of work. Your time is payable. Just make sure you have all your figures in line before you talk money with them!!!!

First thing you need to do, is get ahold of the parties insurance, but do not accept any kind of settlement, then call your homeowners insurance, and see what to do, at the same time I would call a good laywer for some free advice.. or consultation, depending on the damaged value of the property.

My former supervisor recently went through a very similar scenario, with one difference being that the guy who plowed into her yard and took out her tree and some landscaping did not have auto insurance. She did file a claim with her insurance company and they in turn went after the guy who caused the accident. This is what they could very well do with you.

And I've always been told that whenever/whatever, you should always contact your insurance company (which may be a good idea regardless to keep the other party on the up and up).

all he has to do is get a lawyer and deny everything, that it was a fault of his vehicle or something... it could drag out for years... sure you want to have your house wrecked for that long?

better off going through your home insurance.

The wonderful thing about insurance is that they can take their sweet time paying for your damage. If the driver of the car has insurance then you need to find out how much property damage they are covered for. If you have home owners insurance then you should contact them so they will pay for the repairs right away and then sue his insurance company to get their money back otherwise you have to have a broke house until his company decides to pay you. I just had a drunk driver crash into two of my cars and my neighbors car and he was only insured for $15,000 for property damage and there was over $20,000 in actual damage so we now have to take him to court to sue him personally for the rest of the money we are owed. You are probably not going to get what you deserve in this situation and for that I am sorry but it is best to let your insurance pay up front for damage and they stand a better chance of getting money from his insurance than you do! Good luck!

Yes. Because auto insurance companies don't do home appraisals and don't know how to evaluate losses to homes, you should use your homeowners. Add to that issues with coverage or liability under that person's auto policy and the potential that his property damage liability limit may not be enough to cover your damages, I'm sure you have your answer. Good luck!


 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Do I need to have valid insurance when buying a new car?
I am living in campus, and I will buy a car soon. I don't have auto insurance right now. Do I need to buy insurance before I buy a car?...

 Son was hit by a car on his bike, whos insurance pays?
he was riding his bike, and the lady that hit him was driving her parents car cause hers was getting new tires, who's insurance should pay for his medical expenses? she is in jail for DUI and ...

 What do you do when you get in an accident which is not your fault where the other driver admit responsibily?
got in an accedent where other driver acknowlege resposiblity then change his mind and produce a witness weekes after to say otherwise .what do i do....

 Learn to drive in my Brothers car ? Can I?
My brother has a full UK driving license, he has been driving for 3 years now, any chance he can give me driving lessons ? and if so how would it work would i need some insurance or something ?

 What age can you start your driving test in the uk ? ?

 Is it possible to sue a car alarm company if car is broken in and alarm didn't sound?

 Can i get compensation for someone stealing my car and trashing it?
My car was stolen and the theif crashed it up a gutter and into a pole.. can i get compensation? Im only in year 12 and cant afford to fix my car without some kind of miracle.. and since the damage ...

 My mum was caught with no insurance but was unaware it was cancelled as she didn't get the letter?
Her partner is the main driver on the insurance can he get done as well as my mum? she has a disabled child, never had any criminal convictions and always had insurance cover, she generally didn'...

 Is it possible to insure a car if not the legal owner?
Or how to know it has been changed?...

 Why in the uk are our licence plates different colours on the front and back of cars?
When many countries on the continent adopt the same colour for the front and back plates....

 Help... i get my driving licence back on thurs!?
looking forward to being back on the road after a 18 month ban but nervous as hell. any tips?
Additional Details
was over the limit. didnt realise but is an automatic ...

 Who's at fault for this car crash?
I was in my garage parked, behind my garage is a fire lane, no one is supposed to park there but people do because it gets crowded around here where I live.

So anyhow my garage is on a ...

 Landlord asks me to take his car to the shop, he tells me he has insurance but lied and i had an accident?
I proceeded through a yellow light and was turning left, when a semi tried to beat the light also. the semi was going straight so i was ticketed for failure to give right of way. I am shaken up but ...

 Need help in dispute over repairing damages to neighbours car?
three weeks ago on reversing out of drive i clipped neighbours daughters wing mirror being a decent chap i knocked to inform them and saidi would pay to repair it ,3 days on she knocked with an ...

 Is the extra insurance on car rentals really necessary?
I never opt for it (because I have full coverage on my own car), but then get nervous and regret it (even though nothing has ever happened). They seem to try to scare you into it. Does anyone REALLY ...

 Insurance for a 3 series BMW Convertable?
Does anybody know a good/cheap insurance company for a BMW 3 Series Convertable. I don't have any no claims as i have always driven a company car! Please please help!!!!...

 My car was hit two nights ago. i got the cars license plate number nowever they drove off. what are my opts?

 What do i need to take to tax my car?
what do i need to take to the post office to tax my car i have lost my insurance document but i have a letter from my insurarse about my payment plan will that do?...

 I was rearended and the person who hit me has insurance but the ins. company is putting me off by saying that
they are still investagating and that there is a question about who was driving the car. I really didn't think that should be a problem. I thought the insurance followed the car. Why should I ...

 Wife hurt in car accident, who gets sued?
Wife was a passenger in sisters car and accident occured, sister was determined at fault. My wife spent 5 days in hospital from trauma department.
Our health insurance paid for the stay but ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, February 13, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links