Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Am i allowed to have a drivers license in more than one state?
Find answers to your legal question.

Am i allowed to have a drivers license in more than one state?

I just wanted to know, if I have a drivers license from Maryland, do I have to get rid of it in order to get a drivers license in Florida.

Fred C
Rating
Florida is a special case. If you move to Florida, you turn in Your Maryland licence. However, if you were a temporary resident, like a snow bird, that spends the winter there and the summer in Maryland, you would get a Florida visitor driver licence, that is only good in Florida and you keep your Maryland licence because that is your principal residence.

gumby
your maryland drivers license will no longer be valid once you get a license in florida. Legally, you are required to change your license if you have moved to another state and you are also legally requried to notify the dmv if you change addresses within the same state.

Scott H
No, only one license in one state.

sensible_man
Rating
Florida will ask for your current license to obtain theirs. They will aslo check the DMV records for past violations. Nice thing about Florida is their 6 year safe drivers license. I think you have to wait until the second time you renew your license though. They also have classes you can take to remove points from your license if you get a ticket.

LegendMan
Rating
Nope, you have to get rid of the maryland one (but only after you get your Florida one).

SMStJ
One driver, one valid license.

walchung
Most states require you to turn in your license from the previous state at the time you get the new license. For commercial driver's, it is a crime to have more than one CDL.

Country girl
Within a certain time period (varies from state to state) you have to go to the local license bureau and get a license for the current state of residence. They will require that you relinquish your current license and sell you one for the state you are living in.

SSP227
As far as I know, you can hold a license in more that one state at the same time as long as you have a residence to list on it. They didn't make me surrender my Michigan license when I moved to Hawaii for 6 months as a travelling nurse and got a license there.

crazyem
Rating
yes. you must surrender your old license

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How soon do I need to insure a new car.?
We are going to purchase a car next Sunday from a private party. How soon do I need to get coverage on it? I already have coverage on my other cars. I'm just worried if it gets stolen/damaged ...

I got caught speeding my car,i sent formback saying i was driving,thats the last iheard.have they 4got??
its been 2-3 months ...

At what age will my car insurance go down?
im 19 now with a clean record....

Should i get a bike?
i have a car and do like it, but since my work is only 5' drive away, i'm thinking about getting a bike. My problem is i can't have both cause all the insurance fees and mataince fees ...

Dodgy driving licence?
I was looking at the site www.euautodocs.com the other day and they promise to get you a driving licence from Spain and a couple of other countries just by sending off you hard earned.I don't ...

What can happen to you when you go to court for having an accident and not having insurance?

Do you think 2 cars for a 15 year old is too much ?

I need help with paying traffic fines,im a single lowincom mom,no car no job needa license and a car .?
i get no child support,i do get help from the state.However i need a job but need my license ,but cant get that back till i pay fines.i cant pay fines cuz i have no job.im very stuck!my sons dad is ...

Is it worth it to buy the extra insurance for a UHaul rental truck?
That is, even though my car insurance covers rentals, I have a 500 dollar deductible. Does getting the rental truck insurance make it so there is no deductible in case of an accident?...

Penalty fine????? please help?
hi

months ago i got a penaltlies for my car being on a pavement (when i didnt actually park on it) it broke down, and some guys moved it out of the middle of road.

i phoned ...

Vehicle insurance question?
does anyone know if car insurance would cover a lightning strike to a vehicle?...

Driving test with a different car..?
I have failed my driving test twice now and i have been practising in a Vauxhall Corsa for the past year and a half. My parents might want to change to a different car company (I had BSM who charge ...

Can my daughter drive my car?
My daughter is 17 and lives with us in our CA home. She has her license and has been bugging me to let her drive my car. She says she does not need to be on our insurance because she is an occasional ...

Why is my insurance company deducting the excess from my payout?
I'm asking this on here because they're about as much use a chocolate fireguard if all you want is a straight, sensible answer.

My Pan Euro was hit while parked in Edinburgh and ...

My drivers license expired because of my birthday?
what happens if I'm pulled over?...

Wow, car insurance is like 3-4 times more expensive than car payments.?
I was looking to lease a new lexus is 250 which would cost me 369 a month but i went to get a quote from geico, it said that the insurance would cost about 1600 a month. I think that is pretty insane ...

If i have someones name how can i find there license plate number?

Wen caught commiting car offence, do points go on licence from date of offence or court date conviction?
was caught speeding during ist 2 years of passing test, was convicted an took over 6 points allowed, date of conviction was 2 months after 2 year thresh hold, was sent letter from DVLA stating i ...

Insurance For Small 3 Door car?
Hi, I was wondering if someone would be able to guide me to a good company to insure a Nissan Micra, 3 door. I currently have a South African drivers licence, but will change it soon to a UK drivers. ...

N reg Corsa stolen last night, it was found burnt out this morning. Is it worth claiming?
The excess on the insurance is £350 and so is it worth claiming or shall we just leave it? We've already rang the insurance company and they have moved it using a recovery vehicle. Can we all ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, April 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links