Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Are drivers always at fault for hitting people from behind?
Find answers to your legal question.

Are drivers always at fault for hitting people from behind?

A guy hit me after I stopped once I entered his lane. There was heavy traffic, and everyone was moving around 1mile/hr...He took off, I got his liscense plate, and went to his insurance through mine, however they are refusing responsibilty saying I made an unsafe lane change....at 1 mile/hr, is this possible? I signaled and everything. His insurance refuses to look at pictures of damage, I don't know what to do, they also wanted witnesses, which I couldn't get since I was too busy trying to get his liscense information...my insurance seems like they could care less one way or another. What options do i have, and does he really have a case??
Additional Details
So I didn't cut him off, I was completely in lane and stopped when he hit me, he took off by that I mean in bumper to bumper traffic he moved over a lane and refused to give me his insurance info. i filed a police report, however most minor hit and runs cops will not chase from what I was told. Also its not a scratch, I do need a new bumper. I guess I am wondering why the insurance company won't look at pictures, also won't consider looking at traffic cameras where accident occured which i suggested..if I have to take this to small claims, do i take the guy or Farmers insurance?

mel
call police and report a hit and run IF there was damage to your car. I mean, if he just touched your bumper, get over it.

Kismitt
Rating
He left the scene--so it becomes his problem, he rear ended you, you have the case, not him.
if you had heavy damage, go after him.
of couse his insurance company doesn't want to pay.
no insurance company ever wants to pay.
ask the insurance company where are their witnesses that you made an unsafe lane change?
get a lawyer...

Gray
Rating
In most cases a rear-ending is the fault of the car in the rear, however, it is possible for the other driver to be at fault if they fail to properly signal a turn or lane change, or if that change is in an unauthorized location. While it is probable that they were at fault, if he did a hit and run, regardless of the damage or who caused it, he should be to blame. The only other possibility would be for both parties to accept a no-fault statement.

Ant
yes, someone that rear ends you is always at fualt for failure to control thier vehicle, even tho you might have done an unsafe lane change. As soon as you got his plate you should have got the police involved to obtain a report. Then when his insurance doesn't want to pay you can sue thier a$$es, then i would dump the $hithole company you got, and maybe even sue them.....

aaaspademan
the law requires u to stay a safe distance from the vehicle in fron t

Lisa
well with him taking off he basically admitted fault......c'mon....your insurance company should know this already....btw.....how could he take off if it were bumper to bumper traffic?

no
Rating
yes unless you are reversing and hit behind you

crashguy351
No not always. If you do something to cause the accident you are at fault, even if you are hit from behind. Since you called the police, get a copy of their report, it should show who was at fault. As far as his insurance is concerned, they are looking out for their best interest. If you decide to take him to court, be sure and get a copy of the tape from the traffic cameras, of course you might want to watch them first......

Yogi Master
Rating
sounds like you cut him off, you might have to bite the bullet on this one man. maybe switch insurance companies and get full coverage, but if you swear you are in the right, then you can sue him in the civil courts. the person that rear ends somebody is not always at fault, just depends on the situation, I rear ended somebody because the guy in front made an unsafe stop at high speeds, did'nt have to pay a dime.

bostonianinmo
At 1 MPH, there would not have been any damage. Making such a claim hurts your case.

If he did in fact leave the scene, file a hit-and-run complaint with the police.

At any rate, you should NOT be dealing with his insurance company. You should ALWAYS deal with your own insurance company. They have a legal obligation to defend you and act on your behalf. They will work out fault with the other driver's insurance company

cm f
Rating
Check with your insurance company. Put a claim on your policy. Have them fix your car and let them go after the other guy. That is why you pay the big bucks for insurance. I have several questions to ask of you. Did you signal your lane change, how far was he behind you when you started your change. The lane that you changed into was it divided by a solid line? In several states when there is a hit and run driver the burden of fault is placed on him. Did he realize that he hit your car to cause any damage?

moya
Rating
Usually when someone hits you from behind its because they didn't use the correct following distance, which makes it almost impossible for them to react to dangerous situations on time, making them the guilty party. Do you have insurance? Call them and ask them what to do. In South Africa you would claim from your own insurance, giving them the other party's details and their legal department sorts it out.

zaitsev_v1
The reason your insurance doesn't seem to care is because your deductible covers your own damage. So ther eis no reason to file a claim for something so minor as "they don't want to listen to me". Now if you were is a big accident.... different reaction/story

Chris
No, you are not always at fault when you hit someone from behind. There are situations just like what you described where the traffic is heavy, there is not enough space between vehicles and a car moves over into your lane and with those conditions this car has now shortened the distance from almost none to none at all, you have to try to stop, you can't, and you hit it.

It's not enough to get into the lane. You have a duty as well to other motorists to move into the lane giving enough clearance for vehicles to react. So I can understand how you were found at least partially negligent in this situation. By your own admission you moved over and stopped your car.

Warren D
Most generally insurance companies will hold the driver who strikes another from behind as chargeable in the accident.

One possible exception might be when a driver cuts in front of another.

Dr Dee
Rating
It was your fault in this case. You might end up paying for his damages if you push it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I bought a car from a private seller, Can I use my old plates ?
I bought a car from a private seller, i need to know if i can use my plates from my other car which has experied tags but is registered in my name until i get to the DMV on Monday....

My car struck by a hit and run driver while parked, why should I have to pay a deductible?
Here's the deal! My car was hit and by looking at the way the car is damaged, the police confirmed it was truely a hit and run and that I wasnt committing fraud! Now I have a $1000 collision ...

My licence experied 2 months ago?
okay so what do i do will i get in trouble when i go to the dmv with a expired license?...

If you get a dui, facing a suspended drivers licence can you still get a motorcycle's license?
Or any other transportation license?...

Whats the cheapest way to get car insurance for a 17 year old male?
im a 17 year old boy learning to drive whats teh best car for me to get and cheapest way to insure it
cheapest companies
best cars for my age to insure

My accident was considered a hit and run. Insurance wont cover damages to my car. What are my options?
My parked vehicle was hit by a motorcyclist who was cut off by another motorist who fled the scene. The motorcyclist had insurance, but the police report said it was a hit and run, so the ...

Do you know if State Farm is a good place to be insured?
My insurance on my Jeep liberty is very high. My son who is 21 yrs old is on the policy. Can State Farm tell if I have been shopping around for other insurance by checking my credit rating? I have ...

Somebody pulled out of a side road into my son's car. She had a give way sign against her Now she blames him
~At the time she said she had not seen him and she was sorry. Later that night her husband rang to say it was my son's fault for going too fast along the main road and that they were not at ...

I hit a deer with my car, will they make me pay a deductible when I turn it in to the insurance company?
My brother-in-law has hit a few animals and he said that the insurance company considers them an act of God so he never had to pay deductibles, is this true?...

Cop pulls me over. Asks to see license but not auto reg or Insurance card?
gives me a no seaat belt ticket. Can I use the fact that I wasn't asked for Auto Reg or Insurance card to have it thrown out in court?
Additional Details
Thanks for all your input. I...

I'll be 18 in September. I'm in Driver's Ed right now. Is it cheaper to skip D.E. and just get my license?
I have Test Anxiety so i find my Online Driver's Education course very difficult. I've been working on it for over a year now. I've had my permit for a year and a half (yes i renewed ...

Aren't the gas prices awesome?
Does anyone else love it when gas prices keep going up?!?!?! I don't have to pay it because I live in New York and I can just take the subway and buses everywhere and I don't even drive my ...

Should i still be paying my car insurance after its been stolen? even though the insurance has paid me out?
hi i had my car stolen about 2 months ago, the police still hav'nt found it but my insurance paid me out, the problem i have is that they still want monthly payments and im finding it hard to ...

My friend was stopped by police whilst driving my car.?(banned driver)?
before giving him the car i asked to see his insurance policy , which he did. i didn't see his licence though. i've been given a £200 fine plus points. Can i contest this since i was not ...

If a tree branch falls on my car, who is responsible for repairing it?
the car was parked in front of my house and the branch is near the sidewalk.
Additional Details
I thought maybe the city is responsible, I have asked them before to fix my sidewalk ...

Car Insurance due for renewal any recommendations? (uk)?

Additional Details
Confuse.com is working out double my own quote of 600....

Can an uninsured driver use another persons car if that person has fully comp. insurance?
My partner is convinced he can drive my sons car. My partner has not owned a car for 6 years and therefore has no insurance of his own. He is convinced he himself would not need insurance as long ...

Do I need insurance?
I'm from New York, but I as of recently live year round in Massachusetts. If I buy a car and register it in the Greater Boston Area, is it required by law that I have Auto Insurance, or is that ...

I was hit by a drunk driver. How much compensation should I ask for? Don't want to start to low. Whats average
The insurance company wants me to start the negotations with a figure. However I don't want to start to low. I sustained a sprained ankle and sore neck. My car is totaled. What is the average ...

How many points can you recieve on your driving lience in thefirst 2 years of driving?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links