Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can I drive my car after buying tax on line while waiting for the disc to arrive?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I drive my car after buying tax on line while waiting for the disc to arrive?

Duke75
Rating
No. It clearly states when you purchase your tax online that you CANNOT drive the car on the road without a tax disc being shown. You must DISPLAY the disc in your car when you are driving it. Failure to do so is an offence.

luludoodie
Rating
YES. Print off the online receipt and carry it with you just in case .

Rating
Regardless of whether you have paid your tax or not, you would commit the offence of failing to display a valid vehicle excise licence (tax disk)

ashkirkian
The offence is not DISPLAYING a current tax disc even if you have paid for one so make up your own mind.

ihaveknowledge
Rating
Yes

mark g
no its illegal

nosdda
No. The law states that all road vehicles liable to pay a Road fund licence must Display a current Road fund licence disc in the left hand corner of the windscreen. Failure to do so can make you liable to a fine and points.

rookethorne
The police are quite aware of current legislation regarding the displaying of a current road fund licence.

Modern technology has overtaken the current legislation and gives the police the ability to check a vehicle for ALL current requirements - Tax, Insurance and ,if required, MOT, without even stopping the vehicle.

The police will not prosecute for failing to show a current disc if the vehicle is shown to be in date on their computer.

I never leave my tax disk on my motorcycle as I have had too many stolen.

L*D
Yes! When you do it online as i do it says you can drive straight away, if you get stopped they can easily check on the database that you're covered! I needed to check this for myself at one point. I am 110% correct on this i promise you!

bunnykins
Yes. It will show on their systems when they run a check.

But also keep the receipt printout in the glove box to show any over enthusiastic 'special', 'community warden' or public 'do gooder'. This will prove that you have tax to people that don't have instant access to the police system.
;-)

The Shadow
No, you must have it on display in your windscreen otherwise its illegal. Even if you have paid for it, even if you have one but leave it at home instead of in the car then it is not legal and you'll face 3 points on your licence, a fine and possibly even having your car crushed.

mafiaboss_nz
Rating
No

There is a offence of keeping/using a vehicle on the road and failing to display a excise duty (tax disc) contray to sectoion 33 of the vehicle excise and registration act 1994.

However:
(i) More often than not this offence is prosecuted by the Department of Transport (DVLA ). The police officer submits form CLE 2/6 (or CLE 2/8) direct to the department.

But you should note the below:

(ii) If other offences are involved then the police may prosecute on their behalf, but this is now quite rare, as DVLA can demand an instant penalty.
(iii) However also be aware that from 1/6/03 this offence may be dealt with by way of fixed penalty procedure by the police then and there

Which means that even if you bought the tax disc from the DVLA as long as the officer submits a CLE 2/6 or CLE 2/8 to the DVLA then the DVLA are un-likely to prosecute knowing you have bought it already but its no guarantee.

However it does not stop the police officer from giving you a fixed penatly notice themself which has to be paid regardless if you have bought the tax disc as the offence is simply not displaying it in your vehicle at the time its on the road.

cheerfulscouser1
Rating
yes because if the police check the database they will see that the tax has been paid for.

gerard
yes

The One
Yes if your a bit worried print out the receipt and keep with you

Rick Mills
You will probably be OK; the DVLA computer will have been updated to say that you have paid your tax; however do bear in mind that it is an offence to drive without displaying a valid tax disc - so it would depend on how nice the police officer was if you were stopped...

DIANE C
Yes.

Well, said Alberto
Rating
Yes: after all, you have paid for it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can a cop check your license plates and know if you have insurance on your vehicle or not?

Additional Details
I live in louisiana and I have insurance. I was just wondering because my friend and I got into an argument about it....

Within the U.K. Can you recommend any car insurance companies?

Should you be able to drive on your first driving lesson?

My parked car got hit by another car. I got his license plate number but thats it. ?
I saw my car get hit by a person trying to back up. He got out of his car and said he didnt see my car. Never offered me his information. And didnt really apologize. I was by myself and didnt know ...

My 18 year old son was in an accident?
He was driving my car which has full coverage but I stated no other drivers in my household . He received a ticket for improper lane change will it be covered? Worried what will happen, I know I'...

I've lost my driving license, what do I need to do.?
I'm English by the way.
Additional Details
I'm not banned from driving by the way, I've just mislaid the license....

I got rear ended by an illegal alien w/o auto insurance today. Can I report him to INS if he doesn't pay up?
Can I get him deported if he doesn't pay up or throw him in jail? I'd rather not do this, but it's a dog eat dog world. I don't have time for this b/s....

Have we taken the fun out of driving?
As motorsport and cars in general continually advance in terms of assisted driving (YAW control, diff and gearbox settings, traction control). Have we lost the essence of motorsport and performance ...

If you have points on your driving licence does if affect you car insurance?

Where can I get the number plate "PEN1S" ?

I forgot to tell my insurance company about my 3 points- can i do it now and not get in trouble?
Hi,

I had 3 points for speeding about 15 months ago but completely forgot to tell my insurance company about this.

I have just changed addresses and when the new licence came ...

Cheapest car to insure for a 18 year old?

FRAUD? Uninsurable bad driver (friend) wants added to my perfect record insurance policy?
The worlds worst driver is no longer insurable by anyone and is demanding to be added to my 40 year accident free insurance policy. I say that is outright insurance fraud.
She says that it'...

I'm having my first ever driving lesson tomorrow...?
What can I expect, i'm really nervous i don't know anything about gears or anything else about driving in fact....

I have just bought a secondhand car, when should i tell the licensing authority of thr change of ownership?

Non-disabled drivers who use disabled badges...Cunning stunts or Stunning c*nts?
It really p*sses me off when non-disabled drivers use the blue badge..Ive just been watching a report on tv... What do you think of them?...

What do you think of this driving licence?
is it legal?

ive failed my driving test 3 times on petty little things, so was thinking of getting one of these,

is it legal or just a rip off scam?

http://www....

If a car has no mot is it ok to drive, got insurance and tax?

Additional Details
sorry i meant drive to the mot centre... been off ...

How old does a car have to be to classes as a classic?

My insurance said if I take my car to the garage where I want it to go they will only pay so much and I will?
have to pay the rest, I already have to pay £200 excess and can't afford to pay anymore so it's got to go to a garage of their choice, is this wright? When the engineer from the insurance ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links