Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can I get in trouble if someone is caught driving my vehicle without a license?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I get in trouble if someone is caught driving my vehicle without a license?

I live in Arizona
Additional Details
Thank you for all of your responses, conflicting as they may be. I' am bedridden and do not have many options but it is nice to be informed.

sensible_man
Yes. Being unlicensed also means being uninsured. You would be responsible for any damages this person caused, and most likely, your insurance would refuse to pay. You can lose everything you own in this case. The minimum you can expect is paying the impound charges since he will not be able to drive the car if stopped.

LacilovesBuddy
Yes you can.

Brad F
Rating
?Yea you would be breaking the law

Amityy
Rating
It always depends on the situation. My aunt-in-law loaned her car out, he did have ins. but he got in a wreck and the people that were hit are suing her for loaning the car out. On the other hand, my husband got in a wreck that totaled my Dad's car and he didn't have his license yet(years ago!) and the cop checked his permit(permit only allowed him to drive w/ a 21+ year) and told him to be careful going home. Did you already let them borrow it, or are you just debating it?? If you haven't yet, then I wouldn't. Better safe then sorry.

Scott H
Rating
Only if you granted them permission to drive it.

wikkidsyns
You will either have to report it stolen and risk having this person charged with a serious crime or you will have to own up to allowing them to drive it.
I let someone without a license drive my car and I was charged alongside him. It actually didn't even matter that my mother owned the car. I was the primary driver and the one who let him.
He had an ID that looked exactly like a license but with slightly different words and so I tried to go to court and pretend I saw this ID and thought it was a license. I was still found guilty.

Basically, yes, you will have to share the blame, unless you would rather this person have a serious scar on their record for stealing a car.

fangtaiyang
Yes you can be held liable for any damages they do,lose your insurance coverage, and perhaps even lose your license.

nerd1
alot of it

Beckums
No. the ticket would go to the person driving without their license.

calipink22
Rating
Yes and No. If that person drives your vehicle and causes an accident your insurance will not cover them. So you, being the legal owner of the vehicle, can get sued due to your friends negligent actions. Since your friend isn't the legal owner of the car, if he gets caught they will not impound the vehicle. They'll call you to come pick it up. It's not a wise idea though to let your friend cruise around in your ride without a license.

Bellow
My friend lent his car out once and had to pay for the damage himself...the person he lent it to had no license or insurance.
Dont do it!!!

manny
Only if you know it,and you do, also your insurance is no good while you are letting him drive so how do you feel now? any state will be the same you are not above the law If you live in Arizona

Driving Instructor (BRAKE!)
Your car may be impounded - an unlicensed driver may NOT operate a motor vehicle. The unlicensed driver would be cited.
Is it worth the risk and the expense?

regerugged
No. The person driving without a license is guilty.

Nina
Rating
I am not sure about you getting in trouble but I know the driver will for sure be in trouble!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Auto Accident im at fault.?
i got in accident, i hit a parked pick up truck coz i was getting something from my glovebox and the damage was way over $10,000 (no injury, deaths or anything) and my insurance will only pay $10,000 ...

DRUNK DRIVER!...should I SUE her?
my work van was it by a drunk driver....she drovve on the sidewalk, hit my van took out 3 lawns and a mailbox.....casued abiout 4000.00 in damage, plus lost work for repairs!...OH YEAH...and lucky me....

What is the minimum possible number of driving lessons before you can go for a driving test?

Can an uninsured person claim off an insured persons insurance, through the insurance company?

Invalid Car Insurance?
Hi, I was involved in a accident recently and I am worried about what to do regarding the claim? I have withheld information from my insurer, which I know, if checked will invalidate the third party ...

Hit and run - ok in CA?
I was inside my client's house when my car got hit by his neighbour. She left the scene almost immediately, but I saw her car and there was a guy outside who knows her and told me what happend. ...

I found a current Tax disc & holder in the road, who should I hand it into?
While walking my dog last night I found a Tax disc that does not run out until 08 this year. Looks like it has fallen off a motor bike or something similar.
Not sure where I should take it or if ...

What year is my car? it is a K reg?

Do you loose No-claims bonus after an accident that wast your fault?
This year I had a car accient that wasn't my fault, but now my renewal has come through and I have zero no-claims bonus. Is The other party is paying compensation etc so does it still count as a ...

Have you ever hit someone by accident and the person died?

Do you know cheapest car insurance? My friend is 21, male.?

How many points do you need to be disqualifed from driving in the first 2 years.?

If a Christian is raptured while driving, and their car hits me, will my insurance cover that?

My father in law has been driving in the UK for 16 years with no license.?
My father in law has been driving with no UK license for the past 16 years although he has held a a full license from his country since he was 17 years old. He has been caught by a speeding camera ...

If my car was damaged in an accident, and the others insurance wont pay, what do I do?

I got liability insurance for my car, my brother said I am stupid for not getting full coverage, is he right?

Can i drive cars other than my own with third party, fire and theft insurance cover?

Can I start Driving trucks after a second DUI ?

Can a driving school help you with driver's license?
Hello...just wondering if you go to driving school if they can or will help you get your license from the DMV....thanx......

Do i need to mention my road conviction when i applying for a job?
Went to buy a car last summer and did a test drive .unfortunately I crashed it with another car and paid huge amount of money. Because I didnít had any insurance before the police produced me to the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links