Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can I sell a car if the title is not under my name?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can I sell a car if the title is not under my name?

The person I bought it from signed the title over to me but I have yet to go get it registered under my name.

Can I sell the car and let the buyer register the title under his name? (It's a clean title)

teamepler@verizon.net
Rating
Not legally.
While some do this if the area that says who the car was transferred is blank, it is not legal.
In many cases this is not caught.
There is nothing that says that you have to put plates on a car to have the title placed in your name (in every state that I have lived in). But you do have to pay taxes and transfer fees.
So I just get the titles transferred for mine and pay the taxes and fees. It saves me from getting into legal trouble.

Marc
Rating
You need to provide an ownership trail by making out a bill of sale to take to the title transfer office along with the signed title and the bill of sale you got when you bought it. It would be beneficial for you to go with the new buyer to explain if there are any questions.

Just Me
Simply answered, no. Taxes must be paid and a title received in your name, before it is actually YOURS to sell. If in question if your state is different than most, check with your local DMV. Good luck.

T
Depends on the area you live in. Call the DMV for your area and ask them.

Jess
NO the car has to be totally in your name before YOU can sell it.

bigdaddy9965
i think you can if you have a bill of sale , i did this one time myself

oklatom
No. Get a new title in your name if you plan to sell. Why should the next buyer have to pay your penalty for not getting it done in a timely manner? And then pay the taxes that are your responsibility?

JF_14
I do believe you have to get it registered under your name first, before you can sell it. Is their tax you have to pay when you register it? Check before you do.

Big Deal Maker
If you purchased the car and have the title in hand along with the bill of sale you are the legal owner of the car. You have every right to sell your car. Be sure to file the bill of sale with the DMV along with the release form to the DMV. It shows you have sole the car and this way no tickets etc. will come back to haunt you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

In what area in the uk would i be able to buy a car that the registration starts with a D?

At the end of the allstate commercial the ad man says thats allstate stan...who is stan & what's the reason???
The allstate commercial runs on cable & reg. tv mostly everyday....

Is Comprehensive and Collision Insurance worth it for a used vehicle?
I own a 96 Ford Tauras GL with auto everything. It's in good shape. I have regular maintenance and keep everthing in top working order but have over 200,000 miles. I was wondering if it is ...

Can an insurance company report to the dmv that you cancelled your insurance?
geico basically told on me and now, well, I have to obide by the rules and get insurance if I don't want my license suspended, but what role does geico and insurance company play that warrants ...

Im taking my drive test to get my license tomorrow (Oregon)?
Im really really nervous and I was wondering what to expect. what does the person grade you on. what are things you missed on your drive......

Which is correct: drivers license, driver's license, driver license, or driving license?
can i say:
you have a driving license
you have a drivers license
you have a driver's license
you have a driver license

I've tried looking it up already, i don&...

Can someone own a car yet have it insured in someone elses name?

What is a parent's liability for a minor of 16 who was in a car accident and excluded from the policy.?
She ad her driving permit only had no behind the wheel training yet and basically stole my car and was involved in an accident. My insurance wont cover since she was an excluded driver. Now I ...

Where can i insure 2 cars on 1 policy?

I have a full automatic driving licence, can I use a Road Legal Automatic Quad Bike on the road ?

What happens when you stop paying your car payment?

I just got in an accident with an uninsured car I was about to sell...?
Since I rarely drive the vehicle , I let the insurance lapse. Now I'm faced with paying for an accident out of my pocket.
The only injuries was my pride and pockets. How long does it ...

How do i get a handicap tag?
do anyone have a handicap hangtag to sell?...

If you teen gets a driving permit are they automaticly covered under your (parent) auto insurance?

Attitude at the DMV?
is it just me or do the people at the DMV have a major attitude?...

If you have got a car and you am disabled dos it put your insurance up on that car?
if you have a car and you end up being disabled dos it put the insurance up on the car when it is a disabled ...

Which car insurer you belive is the cheapest one in the UK? Help Please?
Hi all,
could you please provide me some cheapes Car Insurance companies in the UK?
Many ...

How does it work if i bumped into another car and it was raining and car skidded on the road.?

If someone sue your insurance after an accident will this cause your insurance to increase?
my son's girlfriend hit a fire hydrant (fell asleep). he dont want to sue be cause her insurance my go up. she got a ticket. wont that cause the premium to increase ...

How many years no claims bonus does it take for your car insurance quote to be at its minimum?
For example, If I were to insure an Audi RS4 which costs around £48,000 - which group would this be in?? etc......

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links