Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can You Drive Alone With A Permit?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can You Drive Alone With A Permit?

I currently live in california and im 18 and just got my drivers permit. i know some people say its kinda late but i didnt want to pay for drivers ed and such. Im starting college soon and i was wondering if im allowed to drive alone JUST to and back from school. ive read the other posts but nothings about 18 year olds, and i saw something on the DMV website saying you need a note or something from the dean,principal or something from school.
Additional Details
Thanks a lot for everyone who replied, some peopel actually helpd and others gave a wrong answer. just a little info for everyone - if youre 18 with a permit, you could drive with another 18 year old with a license (in California) and doesnt have to be 21+ or w.e.

Cool
no you cant you need someone with you who is over 22 i think

James H
Rating
Cant drive alone without a license.

Legally. lol.

la21unica
Rating
even if you were 50 years old...a permit is just that...it gives you 'permission' to drive, as long as you have a licensed driver with you in the car...

don't take that chance...you don't want your license to be taken away before you get it...or have points taken off...or even worst, get into an accident and harm yourself or someone else...

why don't you go on craigslist and post an advert. find out if there are any students who do have a valid license who has the same schedule as you and is willing to ride with you to and from? maybe you can get half your gas money that way as well...

but no sweets, if you cheat that way knowing that its illegal...karma will come to you in a negative way...

poohluvs8_9_20_29
Rating
No...You have to have a licensed driver with you when you are driving with a permit...and that stands in ALL states.

Melissa
Rating
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Can we say TICKET!!!

Michael
NO. You are not allowed to drive alone until you have your license. It should say so on your permit.

Good luck in school.

all facts
Rating
No you are not allowed to do that and if you get caught driving without a licesensed driver at least 25 yrs old they can prevent you from getting your license until you turn 21.

Its called a "learner's permit" you are permitted to drive if you are learning from a licensed driver.

And yer, you have to attend a drivers school and show proof to the DMV that you got a certain amount of hours ( i think you need at least 6) behind the wheel.

MakeAWish*
Rating
as far as i know as long as you have your permit, you have to drive with someone who is licenced. So, no you cant drive alone with a permit.

pearl_hoff
no

ehrlich
If you want to drive back and forth to school you cant do it on a permit alone, but you can go apply for a school permit which would allow you to do so. Usually its a form and you go to the dean or principal, they fill it out and approve it and then you take it to the DMV

Covergirl
Rating
nope . yu could get in biggggggg trouble for driving without yur license and without an adult who HAS their license . soo i wouldnt risk being caught . :)

gomanyes562
Rating
No, you can't.

What you saw on the DMV website probably referred to the probationary license. If you're under 18, then when you get your LICENSE you can't drive minors for the first year without an adult present. However, you can get around that rule with a note from the dean or principal.

Since you're over 18, that doesn't affect you. You can drive whoever you want the day you get your license.

mojo52
Why don't you just call the DMV and ask them? I would think you would have to have a legally licensed driver with you. Call and ask. It only takes a minute and you'll know for sure.

Gambit
nop. someone with a license has to be in the car with you., otherwise you'll get a ticket.

Bearly Sailing
NO! Look at the paperwork you received with the permit.

Butterfly
no. you need to have someone who has had their licence for atleast 4 years in the car..

Pebbles
Rating
law states that anyone driving with a permit must be accompanied by a driver who is at least 21 years old. Just go get your license...it'll make things easier

Mab
Rating
No, you can use your permit with a licenced driver 21 or over. You can also go ahead and just do it if you want, but if you get caught you have to wait another four years to get your licence. Just play it safe and drive with someone else or take the bus for a couple more months.

badbill1941
Rating
No. You must have a licensed driver in the car with you.

Jamiebabyy
...wait once you're over 18 you should be able ot just get your license, and not a permit. when i took drivers ed there was a 17 year old in there adn the man said to just wait until he's 18 to get his license because that'd be faster. check again with your dmv. and no, you cant drive alone with a permit

jaZmin
no

feee
SURE and if u get caught trouble will ride with u.Get smart,u sound like u are and have a good future in front. later

Jack
Rating
no
no
no
no
no

and you still have to take drivers ed

RIOT!
No. You have to be with a Parent/Gaurdian during any daylight hour.

boxnndatol22
Rating
Yeah in Mexico

phillip_brumer
depends on permitt if a normal permit then no but if a school permit thenn yes

latin_runner963
heck u can drive without anything as long as u dont get caught and u should be super cautious if u dont have ur license u should even if u do just follow all the rules/laws and there isnt any reason for u to have any trouble with the law make sure u have insurance i drive my dads insured car so i dont have any problems

Shoxz
Rating
me and my friends used to steal our parents cars and go joy riding around the block back when we were 14....hahahhaa

this is some BAD advice... but if it were me i'd just drive by myself with complete disregard for that adult companion, 6 months, only between 7am-3pm whatever nonsense it is. i say don't, but if you do (which i personally would) just be an extremely good and obedient driver :D

joe
actually i think as of Colorado and California i think if you have permission from parents o you have a drivers permit i think as long as it has to do wit school or work and have permission from your employer or parents or school district you can but just to drive around and pick up friends and hang out the answer is no.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

At what age does car insurance usually go down?

Lowest possible car insurance?
I am going on a trip out of the country for 4 months, and my car will be parked in my parent's driveway with a cover over it the entire time. How can I find the LOWEST possible car insurance ...

Why does it cost so much to go in an ambulance?

Additional Details
If someone has been injured and they call an Ambulance, Then why does it cost so much?...

I got in a car crash without a license and with out insurance how much will the ticket come out too?

Additional Details
i left this out only cause i didnt think it made a difference but the person i ended up crashing into was my uncle out of all people so getting sued isnt gonna happen ...

My boyfriend was caught by the speed camera, he has already 9 points, so he asked me if i can take this ticket
I have driving licence, but the insurance is only for him. In that case, with speed camera, they can check that?...

How old do you have to be to drive a car in united states?

A car in front of me slammed its brakes to avoid a bird, i went into the back of it. Who pays the insurance?

If my name is on my car's insurance, but my friend drove, and I was in the passenger's seat. Is that illegal?
my parents seem to think that this is illegal, but I'm pretty sure it's ok. ESPECIALLY if I'm still in the car....

If i have a car in my parents name and on their insurance and I cause an accident can they get sued?
I live in M...

Car Crash, Whos liable?
I was driving on a small roundabout today wanting to take my 3rd exit, i was in the correct lane and was indicating right, my way was clear and i set off, a guy pulled out on the second exit and i ...

Can I change my mind and return a new car?
Another dealership offered a better deal!Can I return the car and go for the one with the better deal?...

I got in car accident and i finally got a check from the insurance to fix my car...but what do i do now?..?
can i take my car anywhere to get fix....and if dont like the work on my car can i get a different shop???...

My totalled car is in my parent's name, who should get the insurance money to replace it?
my car was totalled, by fault of the other driver. i had made all the payments on the car but becuz i have bad credit my dad put the loan in his name, n my mom was paying the insurance for me, but ...

Would changing my address clear the points off my license?
instead of paying to get my points taken off my license if i changed my address would they still be on my license when i get it ...

Do I have to insure my 19 year old son, if he doesn't drive my wife's vehicle or my own?

Smoking at the wheel,gov ROBBING THE MOTORIST AGAIN?
what will be nxt. NO radio. NO children unless GAGGED,just another way to hit us in the pocket with fines.
and the law abiding motorist
will bend over and take it again and again just to ...

What will happen If you are under the age of 18 and accumulate six points on your license within twelve months

Do particular colours of car tend to have more accidents?
and if so, is this taken into consideration by the insurers ? I have heard that red cars may have more crashes but my friend says its silver. Wouldbn't this be affected by the fact that there ...

Do you think all vehicles that use the road should be Road registered and insured?
All vehicles including, Bicycles and mobility scooters.
Should all have a registration number and insurance. (Except tax as they are self propelled or electric)

Bicycles do cause ...

If someone is driving a car, does the car have to be insured or the driver?
and what would happen if the person got pulled over and showed both the registration and insurance under a different name?
Additional Details
to add more detail:
If the car is ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links