Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can an auto insurance company deny a claim?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can an auto insurance company deny a claim?

I had an accident last week for which I was not at fault. The police department clearly agreed with me and they gave the traffic ticket to the other driver for reckless driving. I filed a claim with the other driver's insurance company and they say they are investigating the accident. I asked how long it would take for them to fix my car and they said that if they thought they were responsible they would pay for it, otherwise they would not cover the costs of repairing my car; which are pretty elevated. Can they do this? I have a police report which clearly states that the accident was not my fault. What should I do if they deny my claim?

Robert F
They are not finished the process so don't work yourself up just yet. Allow them reasonable time to do their investigating. Check with your insurance agent and they will be able to tell you what a reasonable time table is. Your insurance agent is your reference for this type of stuff - they deal with this regularly and will be able to answer your question regardless to the fact that the claim is on the other person's insurance company. They should be able to answer general questions for you not specific since you are not filing it with yours.

If they deny the claim after everything has been done. I would then consult my agent and look over the police report with them. After that I would locate a lawyer that focuses on accident situations. Generally, in most cities there is at least two that are well known that will get things done quickly if you have the evidence to show the other vehicle / person is at fault and you were not in particular if there was injury. Realize that the lawyer will obtain a certain percentage (approx 20 or 25...I think).

car253
First of all, they are NOT denying your claim yet. And, what they said does not mean they are going to either. They still are investigating which may mean they still need to talk to their customer about the accident and/or they are waiting to get the police report from the police department.

Insurance companies do not just go by what police but in those police reports. The insurance company looks at how the accident happened and where the damage is to the cars in figuring out whose fault it is.

It can take a couple of weeks or more. So, just hang on and let them finish their work and you will probly get paid.

Why didn't you let your insurance company handle your damages? Did you have collision coverage? That would have been easier if you did have collision coverage.

eric
Police reports don't always determine fault for an accident in the eyes of the insurance company. Tickets don't either. You can be patient and wait or if you need your car fixed, go ahead and claim under your own insurance company if you have collision coverage. Your own insurance company will go after their insurance company and if they collect, you'll get your deductible back. Your only option if they deny the claim or take forever with the claim is to sue the driver in small claims court.

mbrcatz
Yes, an auto insurance company can deny a claim.

Police do not determine fault. The ticket would be highly suggestive of fault, but is not binding.

The other person's insurance company has NO duty of good faith towards you. That means, they NEVER have to pay you, until a judge says so.

So. They aren't denying your claim - they don't have to. They don't have to act on it, they don't have to do ANYTHING, because YOU are not their insured.

If you have collision insurance on your car, you file the claim under your policy. If not, you sue the other driver, and the owner of the car, in small claims court. Keep in mind, this reckless driver might not be COVERED by that policy. Also keep in mind, that fault, is decided by legal "standards of fault", and you'll have to argue their being at fault based on them - not on any ticket that was issued, or a police opinion. You'll have to quote the standard that MAKES them at fault.

CwboyBill
The insurance company has the right to investigate the claim and IF they determine that their insured is not at fault (for what ever reason) they can deny the claim. A police report is just that -- a report. It's not an eye-witness account of the loss. There are lots of factors involved in a collision and claims are denied thousands of times daily. Let them finish their investigation before you flip-out.

www.Cheapest-Auto-Insurance.biz
Rating
ask an attorney

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I am turning 16 this December and want to know if i would get my g1 license when i am 16 or when i am 18?
and would i get the g2 license after 8 ...

Can i show my ID card at the DMV if i dont have my social?
Im in California. I went a while ago to take my permit test. (im 20) They said i needed my social with me but i cant find it. so i couldnt take it. I misplaced it. but i didnt let them know i had my I...

Auto Insurance Increase?
My family lives in New Mexico and my son is planing on moving to Arizona I want to keep him on my insurance but when he changes his drivers license to the state of Arizona will my insurance go up?...

Weird Yellow Pickup Truck?
What is the name and company that manufactures those weird cars that look like a pod in the front and have a long bed behind it? They look like a weird pickup truck.... I have only seen them in ...

Why did my insurance go up when I filed a claim for stolen vehicle?
I had my vehicle stolen and they paid it out already. Now my insurance went up? It wasn't my fault i thought it would go under comprehensive?...

How much will my insurance be?
I am getting a 2004 Dodge Stratus. I am 21. Ive had minor tickets like not wearing a seat belt but that was like 2 years ago. Since then, I haven't had any major tickets (like speeding). I do ...

In Alberta GDL Driver's Class 5 questions...?
1. To remove it i have to take a 1 hour??? driving test?

2. If i fail baaaad on that (im sure i won't, but i do have some habits) can they revoke my license?

Answer ...

Will I be abled to retake my picture for my drivers licence?
I got my drivers permit when I was 16 and I had my picture taken, do they keep that picture for your actually licence. I figure that I would take a picture since I was a minor then....

Can I place a lien on a car I have co sign'd for the person quit paying, I have paid the last five payments?
The car is titled in both names. ------ and ------ LYONS
My X daughter inlaw not my ...

Does progressive auto insurance has a walk in store?

Can I register a car in Alaska on my parent's Kansas insurance policy?
I'm only 19, so I really don't want to get insurance in my name, ESPECIALLY up here (the rates are insane). If I bought a car in Alaska, would I have to put Kansas plates on it to be on my ...

England learner driver related question?
im learning how to drive and am from england and am learning in my mums car which im a named driver on and im wondering if she is the only person wh can take me out driving (as she is the only one ...

I wanna apply for parent tought driving my friend said if you go to a website you can do it but i dont know?
do you know what website to go to i live in ...

New Jersey Permit???
If I am 16 and have a permit for New Jersey, am I allowed to drive in other states like Pennsylvania and New York?...

How old do you have to be to get your drivers license in Maryland?
How old do you have to be to get your drivers license in Maryland?...

I got pulled over, I just got a warning for my expired sticker but a citation for no insurance.?
I don't currently have insurance. I am scheduled to appear in court within 10 days with proof of insurance. So if I get insurance between now and then and take it to the court, will my citation ...

I need instructions on suing someone for totaling my car. I'm in California and don't even know where to start?
In June of 2008 I was in a car accident. I won’t get into details regarding the accident, but I will say there were no injuries and that an officer was present when it happened and he states that the ...

Isn't the proposed car scrappage scheme yet another chance for the Motor Trade to rip customers off?
It wd be so easy for dealers to grab the £2k payment then jack the price of the new car up; anyway why shd taxpayers help car industry when the world is glutted with cars and many cars 9 yrs old have ...

Auto Insurance company stole my car?Paid off the bank,and I get nothing.Don't even keep my car. the law in NC?
The other person did not have insurance. My car to get repaired is more than its worth. So the car insurance paid what I owe and keep the car and I'm walking. They tell me its the law in the ...

Do you need a license to drive a moped in Washington state?
I'm 16 and looking into getting a Honda Ruckus to get around town. What sort of (if any) licensing do I need to legally drive one in Washington? Regardless of necessity, I'd take a safety ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, September 3, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links