Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can my mother rent a car without a license but I can use mine at the age of 20?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my mother rent a car without a license but I can use mine at the age of 20?

Sue
Rental car agencies have minimum ages that correspond to insurance age ranges. For example, your insurance premium goes down at 25 because it is 'assumed' that you have reached a level of responsibility (and won't do something stupid).

The rental agency feels the same way -- that at 20, you are not a mature enough driver to protect their investment (the vehicle). Their statistics say that young people are more likely to drive impared, speed, take chances, or simply not be skilled enough to stay out of accidents.

So, they won't rent to her, because she is not a licensed driver, or to you because you don't meet their minimum criteria. Even if Mom has a licence, they would not add you on as an additional driver. You 'could' get another adult to rent the vehicle -- but if ANYTHING happens to it, be prepared to pay top-dollar for any repairs, PLUS the rental fee for as many days as it is off the road.

mouse_726
Different car rental places have different policies. Some won't rent to anyone under 25 though. Or they charge more if you are under 25. However.....any renter needs to have a valid driver's license. That is something consistent across the board.

Carl_the_Truth
Rating
You can't rent a car without proof that you can legally drive.

Just Me
Rating
No

miyazaki75
No. She has to have a license. At most places, you have to be at least 25 to rent a car. Sorry, you are both SOL.

☆skyblue
No, they will not rent a car to anyone without a license and auto insurance. Some place rent cars to 18 and over, some 21 and over. You'll have to call around.

?
Rating
now you know thats not possible and who would rent someone are sell someone a car knowing they would be liable if something happen duh

jackson
Rating
It won't happen. If you did manage to rent a car and your mother drove it if she was in an accident you would be liable for the damages. Plus both you and your mother could face criminal charges.

Ms. Kitty-Cat Lady
Nope....bummer!!!!

casey w
To be able to rent a car you must be 23 years old as well as have a valid drivers license

Frosty
No!, it has to be the person who rents the car with a license. They can put your name on it also as a driver, but the person who rents the car in their name MUST have a license. You will also need a credit card so they can guarantee payment. but you can pay cash for it after you turn it in. They will just take the charge off the credit card.

thornfieldaffens
No the driver has to have a valid license.

Tinman12
Rating
The renter must have a license.

sirmrmagic
Make some calls to car rental places and see what their requirements are,but you do need a license and be 21 or over..............

bonstermonster20
No. You must be a licensed adult to operate a motor vehicle. Period. Even if you were old enough to rent the car, if she got in an accident, you would be liable for the damages and insurance wouldn't cover it because she was not the authorized driver of the vehicle. Use public transportation.

mbrcatz
No, they won't rent a car to someone without a license, and most national chains ALSO won't rent to someone who's under 21.

devilishu
if u live in mexico

Alex
it's not going to work and careful you guys could be sued for fraud

starr
Rating
you will probably be able to rent the car in your name and she could "cosign" for you. usually if you are not 25, someone else has to sign. and you usually can't rent without a license

foodcritic
Generally I think that she cannot rent the car. You can rent, but are going to pay a premium for being under 21.

kelvincarter67
is it illegal to rent a car to a person who has no drivers license well pay less car rental did that's against the law right

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If youve misedplace your drivers liscence can you get a replacement via online or do you have to go to the dmv

I got 6 points driving a car without insurance and now i want to insure my motor bike, do i have to tell the?
i got 6 points driving a car without insurance and now i want to insure my motor bike, do i have to tell the insurance company that i got 6 points driving. which will increase the policy. or r they ...

I was rear-ended - what now?
Yesterday my 2003 Kia Rio hatchback was rear-ended by a Verizon phone-company truck. No injuries, thank God, but our car is almost certainly totalled - the tailgate was *twisted* and it looks like ...

Is it illgeal to drive a friends car with there permission?
i was at the airport dropping a friend off and drove her car back to her house. I didnt come to a full stop at a stop sign but i didnt even see the stop sign. Then i got pulled over and got a ticket, ...

People i need asnwers!?
if i already took drivers ed and passed the driving portion of drivers ed, whan takind the license test will i have to do the driving portion?...

I lost my dirver's license (it expires in 2013). Do they take another photo or not?

How do i get a car i just bought to my house?
ifi buy car today thats like an hour away from my house, how do i get it to my house? it doesnt have plates and such yet..
Additional Details
im buying it from the owner, not a ...

Insurance Claim?
Parked my car last night outside friends house between two parked cars. Was a tight space but was a good bit of parking. I nudged the car behind at 0.001 mph, literally a light nudge. Neighbhour ...

I have been sent a tax disc for the people that used to live in my flat - Can I cash it?
I have no way of contacting them, they have left no forward address. The car tax looks like its from a lease company.

My question is 'legally' can I cash it in?
Additional ...

How long do you need to have a full driving license before you can teach driving?

Ive got 8 points on a provisional uk what does this mean ?

I got a letter from the police!!?
I got a letter from the police about my car being involed in an incident and have been asked to provide the usual details. Thing is i have somehow missplaced my insurance cover note - when i rang ...

My car was broken into last night, my mother's insurance claims to cover her driving any car...?
If she puts a claim in regarding my car stating she was using the car that day (she is not specifically insured for my car, her policy just says "any car") will it be successful? A door ...

Can I drive my car after buying tax on line while waiting for the disc to arrive?

Does your auto INSURANSE go up if you get a speeding ticket?

My girld friends husband was in a car accident he lost control of the car and killed himself and his g/f.?
My question is if he was at fault can the family still sue the insurance co.
Additional Details
Guess what all you nay sayers we are going to try to get paid....

MOT & number plates?
My car just failed MOT cause the number plate didnt have the postcode of the issuer on it. Does anyone know more about this?, as no one I know has heard of that....

Can you find out someones address from their car reg?

Do i need insurance to drive my sister's car with a provisional licence?
I have a provisional licence and just passed my theory test. My sister was going to take me out to practice driving before going with an instructor but do i still need insurance?...

How long do you have to change your address on your drivers licence when you move?
I moved a few months ago and still haven't changed my address on my license. Neither has my husband. My husband got stopped for speeding last week, and the cop told him that if he saw him on ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 27, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links