Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Can you drive a car at the age of 16 legally?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you drive a car at the age of 16 legally?

wambo
Sure!

helphesaidineedaprofilename
Rating
The only time you can is if you are registered disabled and have the car as a mobilty vehicle or if you live on one of the isles (I think it is the isle of man)

scragette2000
Rating
Not in the UK on the roads, but you can on private land.

horse.trader@btinternet.com
Rating
Yes you can. There is some sort of restriction however, i beleive the vehicle must not be equipped with a reverse gear. There was a car called a Bond Mini Equippe it was a three wheeler the front wheel turned 180 degrees and although the car was in forward gear it obviously moved backwards. It was a two seater and could be driven legally on public roads on a provisional licence without a qualified driver being present. It was i am sure regarded as the same class as a motor bike. Try researching Bond Cars or the laws appertaining to three wheelers.Hope this is of some assistance to you. P.S. I used to have one although not the most comfortable, a little awkard, a bit of inventive contortionism, a lot of cooperation, a few gin & oranges, you could still get a very enjoyable shag in it.

Virgo
Yes, you can drive a car. But you need signature from your guardian.

sam
Rating
I think you can only drive at 16 if you are on private land. At 17 you can apply for a provisional and start taking lessons but before that age no.

Ruth B
Rating
In the US you can get your driver's license at 16. So if you are a licensed driver, then yes you can drive legally at 16 in the US.

paravou
I think it all depends on where you are
In Fl. you have to have a licensed driver over 21 in the passenger seat and no minors in the car, Plus you have to have a restricted license.

David M
It depends on the state you live in, but yes you can drive a car at 16 in most of the USA but you need to complete drivers ed at school to do so. Its call a graduated license. if your in agriculture you can get a valid drivers license at the age of 14 to drive a truck during the picking season. Good Luck

jeff k
I know that you used to be able to drive at 16 in the Isle of man, but on main land Britain.

sashs.geo
Rating
Actually in the UK you can drive at age 16 but only if you are recieving the higher rate mobility comonent of DLA. For everyone else it's 16

glen
In California USA, you have to be 18 years old to drive legally on public roads. You can apply for a driving license at 15.5 years old with limitations on driving times.

cinn*a*bunn
depending on the law where you live i could i had my drivers permit at sixteen and the summer of that year i got my license its a curfew when you have to have someone 18 and older with you in the car and you could on have one other passenger in the car with you if theyre under 18

Bandit600
Yes, you can in the UK, but it is only for a certain class of disabled drivers. It isn't commonly know but try www.dvla.gov.uk

Paul D
In the UK, the surprising answer is yes, HOWEVER you are not allowed to drive on any public highway. You are allowed to drive any vehicle on private land with the vehicle owner AND the land owners permission.

Michael H
No, not in the UK on a public road.

However, you can drive a tractor on a public road within the boundary of your holding number !

150 BPH, 5foot diameter wheels, park on ANYTHING....

go get one.

Timothy C
Rating
Depends where you are, in Ohio you can get your permit at 15.5 and have to hold it for 6 months before you take the test so yes you can.

norb4423
Rating
it depends on what state you live in. different states have different laws when it comes to the legal driving age.

stargurl_5887
yea i have been driving for a year in a couple months. legally. Today i just turned 17 its my birthday!

danny s
depends in which state your in

caroline1409f1
Rating
Not in the UK - you need to be 17 for your provisional license that will allow you to drive on the roads with an instructor or another driver. You then have to pass your theory and practical driving tests before you can go out on your own.

Helen C
Rating
Not in UK

Norm
No

Sir Sidney Snot
Rating
Not on the road

spiko
Yes as with a provisional licence and an instructor.

Robert Abuse
Rating
No, not in the UK. Some other countries are not as sensible as ours, so maybe abroad you can drive at 16. Quite ridiculous of course.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How long do points stay on your driving licence?

Does anyone know of cheap car insurances for new drivers i am 17 years old.?

Help! Can I still drive a vehicle?
I just lost my license recently to a speeding ticket that was 24 mphs over and I'm under 21. This is the second time that it has been suspended, but not for the same reason, the first time was ...

Im taking my driving test today to get my license..anything I should be very careful about ?
I've been driving for over a 1yr 1/2 but Im extremely nervous to take the drive test today. Anything I should know about beforeI do this test, to make sure that I pass?...

Should boys wait til 18 to get license?
Statistics show that newly licensed teenage boys cause a higher number of serious automobile accidents than any other group. It is evident that many young men are too reckless and impulsive to be ...

When a uninsured unlicensed illegal alien totals your car, what is your recourse?

Is it illegal?
to display a tax disc in your car windscreen, BEFORE the previous one has expired? i'd obviously take the old one out first, and not display the 2 at once....

What is the best car insurance?
What is the cheapest and best car insurance out there.
im 18.
Additional Details
about how much would it cost? per 6 months/ per ...

I am a teenager and i was wondering when iget a license will it make my parents insurance go up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is a good personalized license plate idea for a jetta?
I wanted "gotajet" or "jetout" but of course those are taken... any other good ones?
Additional Details
I like plates Also I had some on my last car that was about me ...

Lent My Car?
Hi.. If I lend my car to someone, who has a valid drivers licence, but no Insurance.. if the person does have an accident.. will I be liable for it?...

Where can I take my 14 year old driving?
I need to know a place where we would not get caught or in trouble.
Thanks....

Where do you find a VIN number on your car?
I'm trying to get a copy of my title and the form asks for the VIN # . Please help me....

Hit and Run Accident; I ran?
I feel absolutely horrible about this: I recently got involved in a hit and run accident where I was the one that ran.

I stopped to exit out of a grocery store when somebody behind me was ...

If my tax disc runs out today am istill legal till the post office opens?

How can i avoid paying for car insurance?
any restrictions if I register car abroad?Leasing?...

How do i avoid disqualification of my uk driving license.
I currently have 12 points on my license (still legal) and was stopped the other day for doing 91mph in a 70mph limit. this will result in 3 more points and a diqualification of my license. I am ...

Why is automatic car insurance more than a manual car insurance?

Does having points on your liscence affect your insurance?
i am currently 20 years old, and have fully comp insurance costing around a grand... i am turning 21 soon but in the next few days am expecting to have 6 points on my liscense,, any opinions of how ...

Experienced Driver Out there Please Help!!!!?
Hi there,
I recently insured my car and it's my first month of driving my car but I have no idea at all where we can park and where we can't as we never really learned this in driving ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links