Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Car Accident: Who is really at fault?
Find answers to your legal question.

Car Accident: Who is really at fault?

I had a car accident recently where I lost control of the car because it was raining, and my breaks didn't hold. This happened in a two lane curve. I was on the right lane, lost control, car went straight into the left lane and I hit the railing on the side. Another car was coming on the left lane and slightly hit me on the side of the back bumper. It's abvious the accident was my fault initially, but can the other person claim me/my insurance for the damage to his car if he is the one that hit me? Is there any chance for me to win in this situation so that I am not found ALL at fault for this accident?
Any help would be appreciated :-) Thank you!!!
Additional Details
The other person was actually not coming from the other direction. We were both driving in the same direction (I was on the right lane, he was on the left lane). And I was going about 30-35 miles per hour, this was in a curve and so I was not going fast at all, but my breaks didn't hold because the road was wet...I hope the additional details help. Thank you everyone for your answers!

Kizzy
Rating
Unfortunately your at fault for failure to maintain control of your vehicle. You were probably traveling at an unsafe speed for weather conditions. The other driver is a victim as you enter his right of way. Doesn't matter who struck who......

mbrcatz
Yes, he can claim against you. You are NOT going to be found "not at fault" for this accident, because you lost control of your vehicle, and it crossed into the other traffic lane.

Brandon B
You are still at fault, even though they hit you....its just like if you turn left in front of someone, and they hit you...you are at fault, it doesnt matter who actually hit the other person, you were on the wrong side of the road!

curious_hoosier
It's very possible that you could be cleared of his damage. You can claim that he did not allow enough room to slow down and therefore it was his fault. It really all depends on what the cop who wrote the report claims happened. Most likely it will be found completely all your fault, but it is always worth a shot to fight it.

Jancie
Yes the other person can file a claim against your insurance co for any personal injuries/damages because You crossed the center line. The law looks at a case like this just as if you were making a left turn and failed to se the other vehicle coming down that lane. It is "failure to yeild the right of way". You could also be cited for driving to fast for conditions, since you hit a slick spot on the road and crossed into oncoming traffic, finally you could be cited for failure to maintain your vehicle if inspectors were to examine your car (not likely) and found a fault with your brakes-your own admission that "your brakes did not hold". Your only recourse is to try and sue the highway department for not keeping the road surface clear of standing water-ie not keeping drains unclogged from trash that gets washed into them, thereby creating a dangerous situation when the water had no where to go. But the state will counter sue claiming driving to fast for conditions.

the pump guy
Rating
Sorry you lost control and should not have been there for him to hit.

sydkan
Yes, you are at fault.

It doesn't matter who hit who. All that matter is what the proximate cause was. goes back to the but not for rule. But not for you losing control the loss would have never happened.

As far as the other posters, it is NOT true that the person that does the hitting is at fault. Nor is it true that if there is a 20 car pile up and you are the last person then you are at fault.

Nor is it true that the police decide who's at fault. The police offer an opinion as to what they feel is at fault. The insurance company ultimately decides who's at fault.

Buzz Killington
I got into a similair accident about 3 weeks ago, except I was the person at the back who hit the person in front. I was legally at fault. The officer at the scene of the accident should have notified you as to who was at fault. From my knowledge, the last person to hit something is at fualt. If there is a 20 car pile up on the freeway, the 20th car is at fault.

justmyself
I was about to turn left and realized a car moving quickly towards me (had to of been speeding but will be hard to prove) so I stopped my vehicle. The oncoming driver did not stop instead she hit the gas trying to drive around me to avoid collision. Which ended with her misjudging a hitting the front right of my truck with the back right of hers. She had a bumper protector and had not damage. The front right of my car has been smashed and needs repaired. Anyone know what should be done? Who would be at fault. No police were called.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If you get a learners permit will your parents insurance go up?
my mom wont let me get my learners permit cause she says her insrance rates will go up is it true?
I live in california and they got Farmers ...

Is mice attack an insurable claim?
A big fat mouse vandalized 5 of my cars by chewing up all the plastic containers (washer fluid, coolant, etc) and wires and such.... probably did about $500 in damages. Are these usually covered by ...

Accident/ insurance repair question????
Had a deer run into side of car.Insurance sent us to repair shop of their choice to have estimate done and adjuster see car.Estimate involves using crash generic parts and replacement generic parts.W...

Do i have to pay for the car i hit?
If I am backing out of my driveway and I hit another car parked in my driveway am I required to pay for the damage dont to the car I hit?...

What is the progressive insurance web address?

My young daughter was in car and by mistake she put the car in gear and hit the tree?
I started the engine of car and stepped outside. My younger sister was in car and by mistake she put the car in gear. The car hit the neighbours tree and deck and stopped. Slight damage was done both ...

Do u have to be the registered owner of a car to put insurance on it?
or can u be a family member....

I co-signed a loan on my son's car; so my name is on the title with him; if wrecked am I Liable?
The problem is that my son, who got married 5 years ago, is now seperated from his wife and in the process of filing for divorse in California... She is driving the car and my name is still on the ...

Buying my first car in PA ?
Could someone(s) please explain to me... what to do ?
I am gonna have my permit next week, and my license in 2 weeks.

I'll have enough money to buy a used car by then, but... how ...

Is it normal to have a car insurance paymant almost the same as your car payment?
I am paying 365 for my car and 375 for my insurance is that normal?...

Do I need to make a claim for my car insurance even if I don't have damage?
I got into a minor fender bender with another car and they are choosing to pursue insurance means to fix their rear bumper. However, my car has no needed damage repair, so do I still need to make a ...

I got pulled over for no front license plates, then he also ticketed me for my tinted windows !!!!!!! wha?

Additional Details
Yup I live in the good old state of Virginia.
I have to pay the ticket for no front license plate, then I have to go to court for the tinted windows. So ...

Car got stolen and it was not insured. Do I still need to pay my installment?
I had a car that was financed. It got stolen and it was not insured. Now, I still owe almost $8000 to bank. Do I still need to pay the whole amount or the bank people could settle on something....

Who is responsible for car damage when car is borrowed?
My son drives a car that I own. He is 17 and has a provisional license. He allowed an 18 year old, licensed driver to borrow the car to run an errand. The car was subsequently damaged when it ...

Someone rear ended my car and i dont have insurance and she does. is there something i can do? the car is bad.
MY KIDS WERE IN THE CAR AND I HURT MY NECK PRETTY BAD. MY CAR IS DAMAGED, BUT, AS I SAID, THERE IS NO INSURANCE. HELP!! THANKS....

I hit a dear in my car - will my insurance company pay for damage if i tell them?

Additional Details
yes i am fully ...

UK only - Is there any way one can appeal against penalty points on a driving licence?
Penalty points were accrued for driving with no insurance due to ex-partner cancelling the policy without knowledge of the driver.
Additional Details
Just additional details. It wasn...

Why are the DMV workers so rude and pushy!?

Can I drive my friends car without insurance?
I don't own a car. I don't have auto insurance. If I borrow a friends car, am I covered under his insurance?

is there a special type of insurance for people like me?...

Driving help..please answer?
whilst driving how do i pull over properly, do i need to press on clutch whilst ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links