Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Car Registration Document Is Not Proof Of Ownership?? What is? Finance Documents?
Find answers to your legal question.

Car Registration Document Is Not Proof Of Ownership?? What is? Finance Documents?

Additional Details
Oracle, im not sure why anyone has to lie about who the registered keeper is in order to get cheaper insurance!. In my experience, i have stated honestly when a car is in my name or even my mums and put my husband as a named driver(he hasnt been driving as long or had insurance before)and its been fine. I wasnt aware the registered keeper made it cheaper, i believe its the lead person insured that matters!! BUT thats my own opinion!

psychoticgenius
Rating
A receipt saying the car is paid for in full. The registration document is proof of KEEPER not owner.

firecat_mage
The Registration shows the registered Keeper.

A receipt or bill of sale for the sale of the vehicle to you is the proof of ownership.

Oracle
Rating
The registration document is only to show who the registered keeper is. That is the person required by law to tax and insure the car and keep it mechanically sound etc.

Ownership is a separate issue unless it becomes fraudulent.

Where a Young driver owns a car and the parents register it as theirs in order to get cheaper insurance it is a criminal offence and it has recently been announced that the insurance companies will be taking action in that regard.

That means the parents get charged with fraud. The insurance is invalid so the driver gets charged with driving without insurance etc.

?
The title!

washerl
Rating
if you buy a leasing car you never are the owner you can do
whatever you want but at the end the car have to return to
the same company you cannot sell it to a third party.

Bardic
Rating
The finance documents will show that the vehicle is owned by the finance company - which it is until paid for.

PS Willow, I guess you're in the UK - if so the American references to the "title" are erroneous, there's no such thing here.

ga.peach67
The actual title. Everyone needs registration whether you are still paying on the car or not.

georgeygirl
I am sure that it is proof of ownership, I can't think of any other document. Perhaps a receipt as proof of purchase, but then that could be forged.

ellie_hernandez86
Registraition should be enough proof of ownership, unless you are paying off a loan on the car. If you are not, try the title, if the title is not in your name you should probably transfer it to your name.

vgordon_90
There are two documents: The first is the Title for the vehicle. it will show you and the finance company as the owners until the vehicle is paid for completely. Then you would have to go to the local DMV to get the title changed to your name only once you pay for the car. That' s usually a small charge by the DMV (about $7-$10) to do.
The second is the agreement you have with the finance company in writing that shows how much and when you are to pay for the vehicle. That is a legally binding document. It is actually a contract between you and the finance company and when you pay off the car, the contract is finished; but it is up to you to ensure that the Title ('pink slip') is chnaged to your name only once you pay off the vehicle.
Good luck.

vicsabat1
do I need any other proof of vehicle ownership other than the title as proof of ownership when other co-owner dies,the vehicle isnt paid off yet.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Husband forgered my signature on car registration!?
I moved out of the house over 1 year ago. He still won't sign the divorce papers. I told him he could have the house and the car. The car is in a loan in both our names, however the title is ...

I have an unethical question- buying insurance after accident?
I got into a minor accident in a gorcery store parking lot with a guy who was parked illegally in a parking spot. I went home and bought car insurance. It was on my to-do list, mine just expired. So I...

If a vehicle is submerged in the water for about an hour, is the vehicle salvage able, or tottal?

My cars crushed but how do i prove it?
About a year ago my car broke down, been a skint student i just left it parked up a short work from my house. A week or two later i received a parking ticket in the post so went round to find my car ...

Private number plate?
how much for a number plate with the initials PJB?...

Why do auto insurance company ask for social security number when asking for a quote?
must i give my social security number if i were to purchase a auto policy?...

My car insurance company is screwing me over?
I was just recently in a car accident. my front end recieved some harsh damage. The hood was folded towards the windshield, transmitiion was busted, the front lights were busted and the front frame ...

Does car insurance cover expenses results of a car accident while you drive alone with instruction permit?
if fault is yours for accident and you hit a car then does your insurance company pay for the damages ?
Additional Details
I know it was silly to drive alone but I had an exam and nobody ...

What is the best car insurance company?
I am looking for a car insurance company in georgia that will not break my pockets each month. I have a lot of tickets and two claims from an accident that I was in. Does anyone have a recommendation ...

Annoying dilemma about factoring "age" into car insurance rates?
Okay this is annoying me. My car insurance policy is up for renewal very soon. It is a 6-mo policy. I am currently 24 yrs old but turning 25 literally 7 days after my policy renews. As you might ...

Can the color of a car affect insurance rates?

Is there any way to transfer a title for a vehicle into another person's name without transferring the loan ?
car is a gift to daughter(1/2 paid off)would like to put in her name but keep payments in mine....

If i had a car accident that was someone elses fault do still have to pay my excess?
my friend had a car accident which was the other persons fault and her insurance company is making her pay her own excess.Is that right?...

I have a drink driving on my license who is cheapest for car insurance the offence was 4 years ago?

Can they find a warrant in another state when getting a drivers license?

Victim of hit-and-run?... License plate number enough?
Yesterday, my two-month-old new car was hit from the side at an intersection (luckily no one was hurt). The driver came out to access her damages (She said a few things like: 'I have to get to ...

Can i open a bank account if my drivers license is expired?
my driver license is cut off at the top cuz i lost my updated ...

I almost got into a car accident someone please help me cope with it?
i had the green, but the moron decided to want to turn left as i go straight it is rainy outside so i swerved to the right, (there was a car turning right in that lane so i swerved to the left and i ...

Is it legal to drive a rental car and NOT take insurance from renting company AND NOT have own auto insurance?
Hello,

Here's the situation:
I don't have a car and consequently don't have auto insurance.
I'm renting a car from a well-known rental company.

My ...

How can they suspend my drivers license if i never had one?
i went to get my license for the first time and they told me that they have ben suspended three times already for getting arested do i really have to pay them 800 $ or should i get a lawyer ive never ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links