Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Car accident - Which is better? Settle by cash or go through insurance for $1000 ?
Find answers to your legal question.

Car accident - Which is better? Settle by cash or go through insurance for $1000 ?

I had a car accident and it was my fault- no points. I had no damages but the other car had which are worth $1700. I have a deductible of $500. Never had an accident before

I'm sure my premium would jack up if I report through insurance but DON"T KNOW by HOW MUCH. Is it a good choice to go through insurance for a net difference of $1200 ? What's the total impact of going through insurance, pls advise.. Thanks

justsinginrain87
Rating
The best thing to do is to talk to your insurance agent and be frank with him. Ask him how much your insurance will go up and he'll be more than willing to help. Simply mentioning it to him does not mean he will file the claim. Since the damages are greater than $1000, it's quite possible it will be less expensive for you to go through insurance, especially if this is your first accident. After my first accident, my insurance only went up $8 per month and I'm in a high risk age group.

Lori E
Rating
If you could afford to pay the bill and get the other guys car fixed, do it. Save yourself the heartache of jacked up insurance rates. If it's not affordable, go through the insurance, but I'd try and avoid it if I could.

mrphaka
Rating
pay without insurance and drive careful in future!

pinkyismygirlfriendniluvhur
if you can agree whose fault it was and just pay cash then your policies will probly both stay low and save you both a ton of money

amandafofanda66
Bad idea. Always go though insurance to C.Y.A.

Eleanor Roosevelt
If you do a cash settlement right now they can still hit you with a civil suit later on in order to max out your insurance policy.

CALI GIRL
Rating
If you have the money pay it off because it will also be on your record and you your monthly payments will go up sorry i dont know how much at least it wasnt serious that sounds pretty cheap now a days for an accident .

gomanyes562
I would say go with cash, but make sure you get the other party to sign a statement saying they waive their right to sue you in the future.

Richard T
It's wildly different depending on your insurance company, but odds are you're better off settling for cash. Your premium will probably go up by more than $300/year, for more than 4 years.

If you have an agent, ask him/her. Your agent can also give you standard release forms for the other driver to sign, so you don't get sued down the road. If you're with a company that insures directly, call them, describe your situation but don't give them your name, and they'll tell you.

Shadowstrike
I say don't go with insurance even if its your first accident because you can pay it off. If you go with your insurance, next time you have an accident, they will nail you hard so i say pay yourself.

PJH
Rating
Let me tell you with the deductible being 500.00 your better off settling in cash then to turn into your insurance co. I will tell you your Insurance will go quite a bit and then you carry that accident for three years on your insurance. I'm saying for the State of Pennsylvania , I not sure where you are located but check into your insurance laws for your state. Best of luck to you!

thereeferstudpuppydangles
I just went through this kind of crap myself...except in my case the other guy was at fault...& I still passionately believe that it's far better to settle rather than go to the courts...the law is quick to hurt you but slow as h*ll to help you, courts only complicate matters and make expenses skyrocket! Anything the government can do you can do better! Or, you can choose to ignore me and be a good little conformist and do what your uncle sam wants & take your chances with him, but when it goes bad for you- and it will...please just remember me and remember "I told you so!"

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Hi, My parents are coming to oz for 3 months and are struggling to get travel insurance(both 75)?

Do week long intensive driving lessons work?
or are they just a waste of money?...

I have to go to court for a ticket, it's not my fault though...?
I was pulled over for driving without registration and for no insurance.

I had insurance but did not have the current card in the vehicle.
I also found out that even though I had ...

If I got my License taken away, can I still drive with my temps ?
I got it taken for 45 days due to a crash, then another 90 days due to the fact that my father is an idiot and thought he insured me when he really didn't. I live in Ohio....

Getting what i deserver from auto accident?
I was hit a week ago in my car which i have only had for 4 months. I paid 15400 then for the car and the person who hit me insurance is offering 11400 for car, it was toteled. THey say they just ...

My friend got in a car accident and wasnt sposed to have a friend in the car so she lied to the insurance co?
She got in a little fender bender (even though her car has quite a bit of damage) but no one was hurt. she had a friend in the car but wasnt supposed to and the friend left and the cop got the friend&...

Should I pay insurance on a car that I can't drive?
I'm very frustrated with this car & I won't be able to pay to get it fixed until September. Some people are telling me to still pay insurance on it, & others are telling me that it ...

How can i total my vehicle?
What is some things that could happen to my vehicle and it be totaled with out doing too much to it?...

Do your insurance rates go up as soon as you get a driver's license?
I'm about to turn 16. I want to get my driver's license, but my parent's are wondering if the insurance rate's are going to go up right away as soon as I get my driver's ...

How can I find out who someone is with just their license plate no?
Really need to know!!
Additional Details
Online would be ...

I just bought a 2007 mustang GT500 and I need to know where I can find the best deal on insurance.?
I'm temporarily using my existing insurance and I know the insurance for this car is going to be a little higher so I'm looking into other companys. I'm 32 and have never had a ticket ...

I had a minor fender bender in a car that wasnt mine,but was insured, can the other person make a claim still?
there wasnt much damage, it was mostly in the car i was in, to the bumper. we traded info, and i'm not sure if he'll call the owner's insurance, even tho he said he'd call me ...

I got an s on my reportcard is that good?

Does the color of your car effect your insurance rate? is it a myth or true??
I want to buy a car but i've heard so many diff. myths about the color effecting your insurance rate. Just wondering...
Additional Details
thanks you guys! You all have certainly ...

Want cars can i drive on a full motorbike licence?

Additional Details
ok.. for those of u that have replied sensabliy.. thank you. rather then those idiots who relplied none or a platic one or some other crap. I have actually found the ...

An employee stole a work truck and hit another car and got a dui, are we responsible for this?
The Boom truck was behind locked doors in our shop. Which our employee had a key to. It was 2 am. He has no liscense and no permission to drive any vehicle. The only person who drives that truck ...

Who is responsible?
This ALMOST happened to me.

Let's say I'm driving on the freeway and my lane is going quickly, but the lane next to me is slow, and someone from that lane changes into my lane ...

If my car needs to be scrapped, could I terminate the insurance and get the money back like road tax?

Do you think that we are responsible enoguh to get a job a 16 we should be able to get our license at 16?
Respond.give me your opinion.i will repect what you have to say. and again..im doing a debate project....so if you have any other points plz let me know...
Additional Details
Respond....

Do you think we'll be dropped by our insurance?
My sister was hit by a drunk driver last night (he was taken away in cuffs immediately). She was driving my husband's new car. We have reason to suspect the driver that hit our car does not have ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links