Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Car hit in the rear, who is at fault? and how to prove it?
Find answers to your legal question.

Car hit in the rear, who is at fault? and how to prove it?

I was travelling in my car at 8:00 PM in November on a 30mph street with clear weather. I stopped my car behind another car in the front at traffic lights. The traffic lights were red. After 1 or 2 seconds a car from behind hit in the rear of my car. The damage was right at the middle (center) of the rear bumper.

My car moved forward after the impact but did not hit the car in the front of me. The front car left as soon as the traffic light turned green. The driver of rear car immediately apologised to me. I tried to call the police at the scene but police did not come since no one was injured. There are no witnesses.

After a series of discussions, the driver finally agreed to get repaired my car from his own pocket without informing each others insurance company. I then sent the quote for repairs received from my mechanic the next day. The driver then tried to avoid me and did not answer the telephone calls for few days. Finally after two weeks he refused to repair the car from his pocket since the expenses were very high and instead advised me to report it to the insurance company.

After exchanging the insurance details, I informed my insurance company after 10 days.

The driver and his insurance company are now arguing the claim saying that since I have changed the lanes which reduced the braking distance of this driver that resulted in an accident, therefore his insurance company has offered to share the liability 50-50.

Can you please give your opinion based on your experience whether or not the theory presented by this driver is acceptable especially when he hit my car in the centre of the rear after I completely stopped at traffic light. How do I prove my case? Technically is it possible that if I was changing the lane and the car can hit at the centre portion of the rear when the speed is very low due to red traffic lights?

TC T
Rating
The Insurance company will have you at fault. That is their position on that situation even if you were already stopped and the car from behind you hit you and caused you to hit the car in front of you Insurance companies will still have you at fault. the best thing to do is to leave more space to protect you from a situation like this. You should always have the cops come even if no one is hurt and file a police report.

ThisGuy411
They are at fault. In any state if someone hits you from behind they are at fault.

kenbgray
Rating
Let your insurance co. fight it out. The person who did the hitting is at fault.

Sp100
If you're rear-ended then it's the other driver's fault, like the other answer said, 99% of the time. Of course the other insurance company will argue. Don't give in to 50%. Also, get more than one quote for the repairs! This is important. Get at least 3 quotes. You are very likely to find someone who will repair the car for whatever the insurance ends up agreeing to pay.

Atticus Finch
99% of the time cars that hit cars in the rear are at fault. Generally it is a driver control issue. Not much you can do but make sure your insurance company does not weenie out and settle at 50/50.

Neo
what ever the case may be, you just stick to your story. It's always the fault of the person who hit from the behind and I am telling you that because I am a lawyer and have argued such cases.
Just get a FIR lodged against the other car and its driver as soon as possible.

mamatops
Rating
Kudos to you for keeping a safe distance behind the car ahead of you. I agree the 99% comment completely. The law is clear. If you hit the vehicle in front of you, you are at fault! Even if it was caused by someone rear ending you. The changing lane excuse & 50-50 insurance offer is a standard 'last ditch' effort to intimidate you into settling for less. Even if you did change lanes, he still hit you from behind - he's still at fault. He has to prove his case - he hit you!
Who told you they're arguing the claim? If it was your carrier, they should have answered these questions. Read and understand what YOUR responsibility is if involved in an accident. It is clearly outlined on your policy (a contract you signed) and is on most insurance ID cards. Know what you signed before talking to your carrier again and you'll get the service you're paying for. Laws very depending on the State you're in, but general rules are; Exchange insurance & all ID contact info, notify your insurance agent within time limit shown, take photos at scene if possible (most suggest keeping a disposible camera in glove box), look for possible witnesses & ask for contact #'s, write down every detail and describe how it happened (as you did here) have a list of all conversations including who with, dates & time regarding the accident like a written journal. Don't worry if you didn't do what you agreed to. Go back and get photos of location where accident happened from different view points and get photos of your car from all sides with close shots of damage in the back. The more photos the better your odds. If you provide your agent with the photos, repair estimates, documented conversations & your written description of event, they will do there job.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you have to have 2 License plates or just one?
I only have one license plate and its on the back Someone told me that as long as you have one on the back you are okay but someone else told me that you need one on front and back Which one is it Oh ...

After an accident how do I make sure I'm not getting ripped off?
A friend of mine was in an accident last month. It was listed as a "no fault" accident. The officer said that if the damages were under 1000 then no police report needs to be filed, and ...

Is there away to get cheaper car insurence?
hi there

im 17 and wanting to no if there is a wat to get my insurence cheaper..?

i drive a 2003 ford explorer

my dad owns his own construction bussness

Admiral car insurance and the case of the missing points.?
I've been with Admiral car insurance since 2004. Each year i've pretty much let my insurance automatically renew. In 2006 i got 3 points on licence for a speeding offence (my 1st and only)...

Insurance on a lifted truck?
My insurance company suddenly want's a picture of my truck. It's 1995 F-150 riding on 37's with 9 inches of lift. I'm assuming this may be a problem but perhaps I'm wrong. W...

How Do I Get My Drivers License.?!?
Im Turning 16 In 2 Months

How Many Questions Are There On The Test To Get My Permit?!?

An After I Get My Permit DO I Have To Wait To Get My License?!?

If So How Long?!...

I got a ticket that says current dmv tabs not displayed. What does it mean?
I got a ticket on this car which says current dmv tabs not displayed. It is a used car I bought off a friend a couple of days ago. What does this mean and how do I solve it?...

Settlement for back injury?
back with 3 herinated disc. hit with forklift. what is a good settlement....

How much would an average 16 year old boy pay for car insurance as a start?

Additional Details
For 240sx or Honda Prelude ??

like years 92 to 99...

How can I get my registration papers for my car , other then from the previous owner?

How old to get a driver's license (CA)?
I am 17 years old and I live in California (if it matters) and I want to know how old I need to be in order to get a driver's license.
Or can I get one already.

Thanks....

Car accident. Can they sue me ?
I got into a car accident. My insurance company found me not guilty. Now I get a letter from their lawyer suing me . Can they sue me or they have to go to my insuarance agency ?...

Learner's permit help?
Hi, I am about to turn 16 on friday, and I have a few questions regarding the permit test. I live in New York

1) What do I need to take the test (social security, adult, etc)
2) How ...

My friend got hit in my vehicle and I dont have insurance what happens now?
I live in the state of Texas, my friend was driving my car and was rear ended as he was approaching to change lane.
When all of a sudden was hit the entire bumper and back was destroyed, myself ...

I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent. Should I have Collision and Comprehensive on it?
I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent. I think its Kbb value is around $4000. The car is paid off. I live in Upstate NY which has a lot of snow in winter, and in the hills. Comprehensive (with a $1000 ...

Insurance?..Trampoline smacked into car!?
Hope that caught your attention. Here is the story. Last night we had up to 95 mph winds near my home in Pittsburgh. At 8 pm. at night the police knocked at my door asking if I owned a trampoline ...

How will we cope without cars?
Any hints and tips welcome. Diesel is at a £1 a litre, it was £1.30 a few weeks ago and it will be again. Insurance is going through the roof. Its only going to get worse so how will we cope....

I let a friend drive my car,he dose not in insurance &i hold my full license less than 3 years.what is the fin?

Additional Details
theye just take our details and said we have to wait up to 6months to recived a letter from the court and theye did not give us any thing that time....

Which one teh best way to shipping all over the world a collection coin?Ground, flat rate, priority or express?
And could ou explain to me the diference among Assured, registered and signature mail? Thank you for the help!!!...

Driving Theory Test: I have forgotten my licence and my test is at 4! What should I do?
There is no way I can get home to retrieve my licence and I have my test at 4! I have already visited the test CENTRE to try and get it postponed but there was no one present and it was all locked up....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, September 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links