Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Do you get a licences plate when you buy a new car?
Find answers to your legal question.

Do you get a licences plate when you buy a new car?

Let me elaborate from my subject question. I bought a new car and I recieved a temporary paper license on the back of my car which expires on 12/28/07. Now my question is, are you suppose to go to the secretary of state and get a permanent one or does the dealer mail you your plate. I asked this because I asked my brother and he said no the dealer will mail you your license. As you know its 12/24/07 now and I have no license plate from them and the SOS office is closed today and tomorrow due to Christmas and I work from 9-5 so its so hard to get in there when they close at 5. I went online to try to do a license renewal but i dont know my PIN number for my registration car. I have the vechile number and insurance policy but no PIN? (That or i can't find it on my paper work.) Whats going on here? I need help! Maybe i'm not suppose to go to the license renewal part since its not a renewal but actually NEW license, but i couldnt find that part on the SOS web page. HELP!!

The Eagle Keeper
Contact the dealer to see if the plates have been mailed to them. That's what happened to me this year (Feb 07). Rarely are plates sent through the mail in fear that they may get stolen. Many dealers here where I live, just take all their applications to the Sec of State office and buy them directly. Since you paid for them, it's nothing out of their pocket except time. I would call the dealer asap!

Lenny
The dealer should have your plates.Call on Wednesday they may bring it to you.Happy Holidays

big_deezy
Rating
well u pay for them when you buy the car, its included in the price and when i bought my car they mailed them to the dealership and i had to pick them up, it only takes a few weeks so you gotta call them and see if they got them yet

Uncle Red
Depends on the state, Missouri transfers the plate to the new car, however some states you do get new plates, you should get a call from the dealer or at least they should let you know the paperwork and title are in and ready to be picked up.

Call the Dealer, they do this everyday in your state....

nj2pa2nc
Rating
did you buy the car from a different state than one you reside in, I live in North Carolina but bought my car in Pa. I did not pay any state taxes and they put a temporary in-transit plate. I then went to the nc license bureau, paid the nc sales tax, fees and received my plate. If you bought it from the same state, then they are mailed to the dealer and the dealer should contact you to pick them up- I think you should call the dealer and ask where are they,

Lover not a Fighter
Call the dealer - or look on your purchase contract. If you see "registration" as one of the itemized list, then they should be doing the paper work for you.

But sometimes the new car dealer will NOT - especially if you are out of state buyer. But you may also fallen into some paper trail crack.

Call them and find out.

===

Good Luck.

L L
Rating
State laws may vary. I would contact the dealer and ask for help.

Pedro S
pick up phone call dealer..they will do all the work if you want...cost 10 to 20 dollars plus DMV cost...or call/go to DMV...

Cherrysdrip
Hi,
I always get my plates tranfered it is less of a problem. You have to go to the car dealership and pick up your plates, they should be there now. But to be on the safe side call to make sure.
Some driving license facilities are open on Saturdays, if you go you dont need the pin number. You really, really need to take time and take care of this.
Happy Holidays :)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What kind of insurance do I need to drive my friend's car ? I have only learning licence?
What kind of insurance do I need to drive my friend's car ? I have only learning licence but my friend has got full license and more then 4yrs old....

What happens when two people get into a car accident but neither of them has insurance?

What happens if you dont get a new license in 30 days after you move?

If my car is registered to me, can I still list my wife as the primary driver for an insurance policy?
I have a bad driving history. My wife's is crystal clean. Currently I am paying over $300 per month for car insurance....can we save money if I list my wife as the primary when asking about new ...

I need a school restricted licence?
I lost my licence for 9 months. my lawer gave me a form to fill out so i can drive to work, and school. i filled out petition and the college said that they will not exept the form that there is a ...

Does full coverage auto insurance cover theft of the car?

Question about SR-22 insurance.?
Does anyone have a guess on the price for high risk insurance on a toyota 4-runner and a honda accord. The insurance carrier is a 30 yr old female. I know it varies from state to state but I was just ...

If a car is in reposession, is it considered stolen if you still have it?

I need help on tracking someone by a license plate #? SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY...?
How can i track some one by their license plate #?
i need to know exactly how and what to do to track a car and person by just a license plate number.
PLEASE HELP A.S.A.P!

Do i have to diplay new driver plates?

What's the difference between...?
Full coverage auto insurance and liability auto insurance? My step daughter wrecked my car last night. We carry full coverage on our car. The accident was her fault. I don't know what kind of ...

What is the cHEAPEST car insurance???......?
4 a 17 year ...

Do you have to purchase insurance if you co sign for a vehicle. And your not driving the vehicle?

Additional Details
I'm helpping someone get a loan for a car but their name will be on the title. Do i still have to get insurance....

How do i find out the total amount that i owe in traffic tickets in detroit,michigan?

Insurance for a motor bike or scooter?
Hey there,

Im 19 years old and currently a student. I am looking to purchase a motorbike, but will probably buy a scooter instead since its cheaper and easier to get used to and ride.

How do i get owner information if i only got his lisence plate number?
I was traveling int eh middle lane and to the right of me another car made a uturn across 3 lanes and to avoid him, i had to swerve and i hit a tree and damaged property. There was a witness to this ...

Insurance company wants check back!!?
Some guys spare tire fell off his truck and hit my car. My Insurance sent me a check for $400 and his insurance paid for it. Now my Insurance wants the check back or they're threatening to ...

Must I have the car that I am driving insured and the title in my name?
The title is in my dad's name and he lives in Michigan. I live in Pittsburgh and the insurance is in my name....

Driving test in 7 days!! Please help.?
Ok so ive got my driving test on 23rd December at 10:14am
Ive been learning to drive the day i turned 17 im now 19 and im pretty confident about my driving and so is my driving instructor. Just ...

When I was pulling out of my school parking lot I hit a car what are my legal fixing obligations.?
I hit this guys car we decided to not include insurance how much do I have to pay him because I made a dent in his car and now he's telling me its going to cost 3grand because they have to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links