Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

How do I find out who this car belongs to?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do I find out who this car belongs to?

If someone went into the side of me, and my car is damaged. He does not want to go through insurance, says it wasn't his car it was a courtesy car. He is willing to pay a garage to get the work sorted, but I have found out that this work he is on about it not the right thing. Also, he expects me to book it in (by the way, I am not that stupid) Is there a way of finding out for FREE who this car actually belongs to.

Only genuine replies please.

Urgent

ta.
Additional Details
Hey, thanks for all your replies.

OK, real situation. My step son - just passed test, got car, parked in Petrol station, guy reverses into the passenger door. OK his car is not perfect, but hey he has just passed his test, well about 5 months ago.
I know the registration number, I know the guys name, I know where he works.

Obviously with my step son being younger this guy thinks he can walk all over him.

We didn't contact the police at the time.

Help

Dreaming Dead
Rating
If he refuses to give you his policy number for his insurance, call the police straight away. He probably hasn't got insurance or a driving licence.

Call your insurance company, and they'll handle it for you as long as you have his reg plate number.

Here's a site to try and track down the owner....

http://www.searchandlookup.com/driving/

Eva x

Uncle Red
Rating
Oh ya if you have been in an accident you NEED to have a police report so should this guy go funny he can be legally traced.
This guy may be on the up and up but hey TODAY I would make sure you butt is covered, You don't have to have the other car present for the police report, go to the local station for the area of the accident and if on a highway the state troopers, and have a report filed. It matter not who actually owns it, and then if the guy BS's you, then go to the rightful owner and say hey he was driving your car.
Get an estimate that YOU are happy with and get the car fixed where YOU want it fixed not the other guy who has a "SPECIAL DEAL" with his brothers uncles sister in laws husband...

gert
Rating
sounds very dodgy to me ..... contact your local police they will deal with it for you, if he is sooo keen to pay for the repairs himself I would say that there is a VERY good chance that he is driving around with NO insurance and possibly NO licence... its drivers like him that put all of us honest drivers premiums up ... the only thing you can do is REPORT HIM

Brian A
Rating
The police are free. File a report and contact your insurance company. You don't owe him any favors. Too many people get screwed over trying to be nice to somebody that just smashed up one of their most valuable possessions.

Gerry Atrix
Rating
In the USA see uncle Red's answer.

In UK report to the police and give them as much detail of the other car as possible.
They can check if he is insured etc, They may have some questions for the other driver

The Doctor
Rating
I doubt it.

Cheryl B
Have you thought of going to your local police station, they might be able to confirm if the details he has given you are correct.

happygirl
Did you get the drivers liscence of the car, and call the police when the accident happened. Hopefully there is a police report that has all the other guys car info as well as yours. If not the DMV can tell you if you have lisence plate no. who it is registered to. Good luck

UCANTCME
Rating
1. NO BY YOURSELF

2. YES IF YOU FILED A POLICE REPORT.

3. YES STILL IF YOU CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE AGENT.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If someone recks your car and is not on your insurance will the insurace pay for the car?
if it was a sibling that use your car to go to the store and wrecked the car totally and received a dwi what are the chances of your insurance paying for the car and will your insurance go up....

Fine for throwing Snowball?
I threw a snowball today at a passing car, and it didn't do any damage or cause an accident, but the guy backed up and asked my name, so i like an idiot, i told him my real name! so how much ...

Is someone else covered under my car insurance to drive MY car?
A guy I'm dating will ask to use my car from time to time because he has trouble with his, but I'm hesitant because even though he has his own car and own car insurance, I don't think ...

I lent someone my car, then someone else stole it and wrecked it!!?
What should I do? The cop has already filed the report but any ideas on how much insurance will cover? I have state farm.. Anyone been in a situation like this? I'm scared to tell my parents (I&#...

Driving test?
i'm going for my road test i drive pretty good i already failed two times because i get really nervous knowing that someone is testing me has anyone gone through this and how many times did you ...

Insurance & a totaled car?
My car was totaled about 2 weeks ago (my fault). I know that my finance company says that I'm required to have full coverage on the car at all times until it's paid off. Seeing as how my ...

Do I have to fix my car right away?
I recently made a claim for hail damage. I received a check for the damage minus the deductible. I currently do not have the money to cover the deductible. Do I have to fix my car right away? What ...

Does ordinary car insurance cover someone with only a provisional licence to drive,or does that require specia
special insurance?
Additional Details
Sorry, I didn't make my question clear enough-what I meant was if someone with a full licence has an 'any driver' policy,does that ...

I was in an auto accident and have to pay out of pocket as my insurance has lapsed.?
When there auto insurance company sends me a bill do they expect it in full or will they take payments? If I don't pay it all ASAP, will they send it straight to collections?

Thanks ...

Car Title Loan Question: How do i go about getting my car title back IF i gave it to the loan people who do?
car title loans for $300. But i never paid the $300 nor did they pick up my car yet. Its been 10 months and Im not sure what company I went to. I remember they told they send the title to Austin,Tx ( ...

What if you dont have car insurance and get into a car crash?
My father just got into a car accident today head on into 2 cars...
He is in the hosp. right now with a crushed leg all up and down, broken ribs, stitches 2 spots on face, and something with his ...

How do I find out if a recent traffic violation put points on my driving record?
I checked the DMV website but couldn't find any specific references to this information....

What should you ask for if a person hits your car in an accident?

Which car models have good insurance rates?
I'm asking this question for a friend and she's curious to know some car models with good insurance rates.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)...

How can i show proof of ID?? {PLEASEE}?
im 14, so i dont havea drivers licence, and i dont have a passport, i dont have a school ID, and my birth certificate is at my mothers house in Nebraska, [im in Main]. So wat can i use? and it has ...

Which auto insurance companies offer short term or monthly plans?
I'm just a college student returning home, so I'll only be in town for about a month. Searching for auto insurance online only gives lots of junk clone sites that ask you to put in ...

How are dogs similar to Man?
What is the cultureal significance of the vasonasal organ in men? when removed what happens to women?

Was hitler a pedophile? was it caused by him not haveing enough pets as a child?...

My car was hit and I... don't have Insurance?
A lady hit me in a parking lot 3 days after I bought my car. she wasn't even paying attention to the road. and my car was parked, but I was in it.

now my axle on my car is broken and ...

Alright so my friend is backing out of a friend's driveway and he hits a truck directly behind the driveway?
the guy left his truck by the curb the whole night and had plenty of driveway space.. could this situation get turned around onto the guy with the truck at al??...

Speeding fine on provisional licence moped 50cc ???
Hi, i need some info on speeding fines and what happens if you get caught speeding ona 50cc moped on just a provisional licence at 16 years old...also would like to know how this will affect you ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, July 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links