Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

How do I get my car legal? please help.?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do I get my car legal? please help.?

I am 16 years old from Missouri,I am a new driver. I have a 95 ford taurus and I was wondering how do I get my insureance, tags, anything else I might need to get my car legal and how much does that stuff cost. Please help. thank you!

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
it differs by state, so it is best to go to Google and find the DMV for your state. The DMV website will have all of this info broken down for you.

Go to Google and type "Missouri department motor vehicles".

abebopmana
contact your state dmv office for tags, you can get quotes for insurance online or by phone (try geico, state farm, all state, etc.), also make sure you get state inspection and emissions done (you need a tag first)

calipink22
Rating
You parents have to register the vehicle for you and insure it. But you need to be listed as a driver on the insurance policy. Get a job so you can pay for the registration fees and insurance. Don't make your parents pay for it. But legally you cannot enter a contract until you're 18 so you cannot insure it or register it on your own. It shouldn't be expensive because it's an older car and you should just carry liability

Chad D
Going on how much it costs by where I live (chicago) you should plan on $200 for plates and registration and about $80-$100 a month for insurance. Insurance should be cheaper than that if you get on your parents insurance plan. If they'll let you.

big_trevor2000
Rates vary from state to state, but if you go through the phone book, there should be plenty of insurance companies listed, or you can look them up online. As far as getting it registered, you'll need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, or similar service in your state. Information on that could probably be found at www.missouri.gov

Michael
Rating
Im not sure what the prices would be for Missouri, you would need to go to your local DMV to handle most of it though.

First - I'm fairly certain you must be 18+ to get your own insurance. Your parent(s)/guardian(s) will need to take care of that for you and have you covered under their policy.

AFTER you get insurance (have them fax the insurance cards if your in a hurry), you'll need to take proof of insurance to the DMV and get the vehicle registered.

If your state does State Inspections you will have 10 days after registration to get an Inspection done.

In NY state Inspection is mandatory and about $20.00, Registration is $120.00 and Insurance will be dependant on your parents records, the car, car security, your age, etc. and most insurance you will need to pay the first 2 months up front. In FL state, no inspection is required, but we need to pay $225.00 for registration.

I have linked missouri's DMV web site for you.

DustinDawind
Here is a link to the Missouri DMV FAQ's page. You can probably find what you need there. http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/inquiries/index.htm

Bird
Rating
you cannot get insurance until you are 18

Larry Snider
Rating
go to the mvd and ask them

http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/

kriscarpenter1985
Rating
I think you are going to have to get the car registered in your parents name until your 18th b-day. Then they can get the insurance on the vehicle with you listed as a driver. Won't be cheap. Sorry.

K~*H*~S
by registering it

Shaija
u BUY a car, not boost... jk... register

The The's
Rating
mexico

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If someone hits my car while backing up in a parking lot, who's at fault?

I want to check a vechile registration but everywere i have tried is tryning to charge me can i get it free?

What do dead bodies look like after a car accident?
I know this is a strange question, but there was a bad wreck near my house today. A man died. It was a head-on collision and the Nissan he was in was literally torn into two pieces. Wonder what ...

What happens to a person who has a small accident and finds out thaat their insurance was cancelled about a ye
I recently backed out of a parking space. I did look both directions, I just took my foot off the break did not apply the gas, rolled about 4 feet and hit the left rear fender of a car that was ...

I'm17 and have not got my license yet but when i do how can i get cheap car insurance?
I have heard that if i buy a classic car, my insurance will be cheaper, is this true? And do you have any tips for getting it as low as ...

My friend got a speeding ticket driving my car who gets charged?
My friend got a speeding ticket driving my car. The registration and stuff was mine but the drivers license he took was the drivers which is my friend. Who gets charged? They have my plate number ...

Im 18, and going to get my license, do i have to take the driving test?
do i have to take the driving test? im 18 so i would not think i do

Dealership is holding my truck hostage! They didnt charge enough. there was no addition problems!!!!!?
I drove the truck of the lot after all the papers were signed including "I am taking delivery of this vehical" paper. I have keys, registration in my name, my own financing, all the papers.....

Why can't I insure myself to drive my mums car for a week or so?
Has anyone any ideas, I have my own fully comp policy and so does my mum but both her insurance company and mine say it can't be done. My car has broken down and thats the reason I want to do it ...

When driving a company vechicle with expired registration, would the ticket go to me or the company?
I drive a company truck each morning and the registration has been expired for months. I need the truck to do my job...i've contacted my boss several times to renew the registration but nothing ...

Hello is been 6th time that i fialt my driving test im fed up i dont know what to do i change my instracter is?
will but it cant help please give me same ...

Can the car insurance find out that I have been in a car accident?
I have just gotten a new job and I said I havent been in a car accident, but I did twice. Are they gonna find out about it when they add me in their car insurance?...

I need help to insure my car?
im 23 and have only been driving six months, i need to insure my car which is a mitsubishi fto but i cant find a quote cheaper than 2000 gbp so i was wondering if anyone knew any insurance companies ...

A real cliff hanger. Can I get car insurance.?
I live in an area that's falling into the sea. The surveyors say my garage will fall into the sea within the next 3 years. Do you think I need to declare this to my car insurer, and can ...

I was scuttling along a country lane one night, when a car?
came round the bend. I instinctively rolled into a protective ball, but I suffered multiple injuries, and spent the next six weeks, stuck to the tarmac, gradually drying out, and being pecked by C...

Whats the miniumum age can you apply for your?
Provisional liscence and your theory test for driving ???...

Is this true? you cannot make a claim for a car accident if its on private property?
ye jus as the question asks...is this true?
Additional Details
just asking because i was involved in a crash a good month or two ago and the insurance ppl havent contacted me yet saying ...

I got ticket for "not having lights on" while using wipers..i have auto running lights..can i plead not guilty
Was driving....i used wipers...cop turned around pulled me over.he told me i had to have lights on while using wipers..told him i had auto running lights..and he said "well i didnt see them"...

How long do you have to get your car tax when it runs out?

Car accident, whos fault?
I went with my mate to pick up his merc e190 cosworth and the guy warned him 2 or 3 times about the reverse gear being where 1st usually is, So hes like "yeahhh fine i get, ill be fine"

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links