Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

How do i tax my car in the post office?
Find answers to your legal question.

How do i tax my car in the post office?

i have passed my test this morning! (yay). I have a car with no tax, insurance or MOT. I know how to insure the car and MOT it, but what do i need to take to the post office to tax it? I dont want to do it online

thankyou

photog
You will need your registration document. your insurance certificate, and mot certificate.
There should be forms in the post office (ask at the counter for one if they are not on display.
Fill in the details and take it to the counter with a cheque or cash and bob's your auntie.

ASHLEY
Rating
First you need a valid insurance and MOT certificate, they will not issue a tax disc without either of these.

Do not even move your car without insurance.
Once you have insurance, you can drive without an MOT only if you are driving to or from an MOT test centre.

Kerry K
Rating
the car needs to be insured and have a valid MOT certificate before you can tax it

Bardic
Congratulations!

You need to insure it first, then book an MoT. You can drive untaxed to the MoT appointment. Then, you can tax in person at any Post Office branch that issues tax discs or by post to a selected Post Office branch or DVLA local office.

Take or send:

*Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement.

*completed V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’.

*insurance certificate or cover note – must be valid when the tax disc comes into force.

*valid MOT certificate - if the car or motorcycle is over three years old - must be valid when the tax disc comes into force.

*the payment.

The New Keeper Supplement can only be used for taxing for two months from the date you bought your vehicle. If it’s out of date, you’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name.

Jacq F
My advice would be better to take your MOT certificate and Insurance certificate along with your car registration document to your local DVLA office and they will take care of it while you wait.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/search.aspx?keywords=local+office

You can find your nearest local office by searching this link

Dr_Luvtoys
Dunno m8... But Congrats on passing.. :)

Srithar S
Rating
ok

postie272000
Rating
To tax it at a post office you do not need to fill in any forms. you need to first insure the vehicle then make an appointment for an MOT and get it tested, if it passes you then take the following to a vehicle licencing post office.

1 Registration Document or new keeper suplement (if less than 2 months old) or the renewal notice.

2 Certificate of insurance or cover note

3 MOT certificate

4 Payment (can be cash, cheque or debit card)

They will then issue a tax disc then and there.

Kyle
Rating
dunno0

ღஜღKarma♡Tsering♡ღஜღ
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
You need to insure the car and get an M.O.T
When you have these documents,take them to the post office and they will fill in the form for you to get tax.
You need to take the M.O.T and insurance docs with you.
Well Done

Daz
you just need to take your insurance certificate, and your mot certificate. youll prob have to fill a form in, i think its a V10 form. but they will tell at the po. you cant do it online until they send youa renewell form, then its so much easier

Glentoran_FC
you cant do it at the post office unless you have a renewal notice,

you need proof of insurance, proof of MOT, and your tax renewal letter

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How to not die form a car accident?
Say your driving and get in a car accident
How can you survive?...

Car accident - Which is better? Settle by cash or go through insurance for $1000 ?
I had a car accident and it was my fault- no points. I had no damages but the other car had which are worth $1700. I have a deductible of $500. Never had an accident before

I'm ...

Who is the cheapest car insurance company for a young driver?(19 yrs old male)?

Can driver claim whiplash if not at fault?
if it is a single car accident on slippery road and hit the lamppost and claim on your own car insurance because you can not claim whiplash on your own car ...

With a provisional license (UK)?
can you drive with an insured driver,

e.g. learn with them even though YOU are uninsured

(Yes they have had there license and insurance many many years)...

Is there any insurance coverage if I got into an accident the same day I purchased a brand new car?
It did not occur to me until I had this dream last night where I bought a new lexus and an hour later got into an accident and totaled the new car.

If there is coverage, what is the ...

Will I have to pay for damages in an accident where I was liable but the other driver had a suspended license?
I was liable for an accident, but the other driver was driving on a suspended license in her ex-boyfriends car, which she was not insured on. Will I have to pay for her damages?...

Car Taxing Help!!!!!!!!!!!?
I need to retax my car, but cannot find the log book anywhere, i need it for tomoz to get to work! I cannot not go to work as I have an important meeting, I have the renewal form, and my drivers ...

I need to know if i should file on my insurance ran into a curb and dented my rim?
I WANT TO FILE THE CLAIM FOR THE INSURANCE TO PAY FOR MY RIM BECAUSE I DENTED THE RIM ----ALSO CAN I GET THE 2500 FROM PIP FROM MY INSURANCE SINCE I'M GOING TO FILE THE CLAIM...

Does anyone know of any insurance companies who will insure a new driver (18 years old) for a reasonable price?

My car was stolen and audi have told the insurance?
that the model is impossible to steal... it's a new tt. What do i do? How can i go up against a big company like Audi when its clear they dont want the publicity. :(
Additional Details

Driving licence back with in a week...is this a record or what???
I posted my application for a new driving licence last friday expecting to wait for ages like with my passport (that took nearly 4 weeks to come)
Got home from work tonight and here it is!

Hi, My parents are coming to oz for 3 months and are struggling to get travel insurance(both 75)?

Do week long intensive driving lessons work?
or are they just a waste of money?...

I have to go to court for a ticket, it's not my fault though...?
I was pulled over for driving without registration and for no insurance.

I had insurance but did not have the current card in the vehicle.
I also found out that even though I had ...

If I got my License taken away, can I still drive with my temps ?
I got it taken for 45 days due to a crash, then another 90 days due to the fact that my father is an idiot and thought he insured me when he really didn't. I live in Ohio....

Getting what i deserver from auto accident?
I was hit a week ago in my car which i have only had for 4 months. I paid 15400 then for the car and the person who hit me insurance is offering 11400 for car, it was toteled. THey say they just ...

My friend got in a car accident and wasnt sposed to have a friend in the car so she lied to the insurance co?
She got in a little fender bender (even though her car has quite a bit of damage) but no one was hurt. she had a friend in the car but wasnt supposed to and the friend left and the cop got the friend&...

Should I pay insurance on a car that I can't drive?
I'm very frustrated with this car & I won't be able to pay to get it fixed until September. Some people are telling me to still pay insurance on it, & others are telling me that it ...

How can i total my vehicle?
What is some things that could happen to my vehicle and it be totaled with out doing too much to it?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, December 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links