Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

How long do you have to change your address on your drivers licence when you move?
Find answers to your legal question.

How long do you have to change your address on your drivers licence when you move?

I moved a few months ago and still haven't changed my address on my license. Neither has my husband. My husband got stopped for speeding last week, and the cop told him that if he saw him on that road again, he would stop him and give him a ticket if his license wasn't updated.
Additional Details
Thanks for the input! I'm in rural West Virginia, and can't find anywhere to do this online. But the DMV site had change of address forms in PDF - which I printed out and will send in for myself and my husband.

oklatom
Depends on the rules for the state you moved to. Some are 90 days, some are 20 days, the average seems to be 30 days. If you moved "a few months ago" you should already have that taken care of, also your registration changed and insurance in place. To quote Larry the cable guy, "Get 'er done!"

silkkmist
Rating
For most states its 10-30 days... but really who changes their drivers licenses that quick?

The DMV is the last place I ever want to go.

his woman giggling
Rating
you are supposed to change it within 6 weeks.

Amused Contestant
In Florida, you got 10 days to change the address on your drivers license.

Sandra
It varies sate to state. Here in WI you just have to fill out a form and mail it in ( or do it on the web.) Your physical licence doesn't change it's just that dmv and police records are updated.

Lavender
30 days

postie272000
In the UK you must send off your counterpart licence and your photocard on the day you change address. DVLA will return a new licence within six weeks but usualy faster.

Just Wiki it.
Rating
I think you only have 30 days to change it, but it might be different per state.

where is everybody?
they say within 30 days

hotdogseeksbun
Rating
In NJ 30 days.

Miah
Rating
30 days in my state, but you can do it online it takes a good 3 minutes.

Bigbilly147
Rating
Updated ASAP Even let them know u moved i live in adelaide and i dont know what it is for other places but u must change ur address info 14 day if not u have the risk of 2 years in jail or $3.000 fine

kschwartz90
30 days

mbrcatz
Rating
It varies by state, most of the time it's 30 days.

mcdannells
Rating
In our state it is six months I believe.

Pam H
Go to the same place you get your drivers license. It only takes a few minutes. They will change your address and issue a new license. I think you have 30 days.

infoman6617
really i moved from one state to another was gone two yrs came back moved again to another state moved back and move to three other places and i didnt change mind til they ran out ...... but you can do it online some cities or the dmv and no you will not get a ticket for a wrong adress.... 30 days is like a normal time for all of it you and the car its a money thing and since you have been warned

Secret Agent of God (BWR)
Well.. since you can do it online and absolutely free these days, there's simply no reason not to do it immediately.

I don't know the correct answer to your question. Sorry.

mike_stevens
as long as you want

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I got rear ended by an illegal alien w/o auto insurance today. Can I report him to INS if he doesn't pay up?
Can I get him deported if he doesn't pay up or throw him in jail? I'd rather not do this, but it's a dog eat dog world. I don't have time for this b/s....

Have we taken the fun out of driving?
As motorsport and cars in general continually advance in terms of assisted driving (YAW control, diff and gearbox settings, traction control). Have we lost the essence of motorsport and performance ...

If you have points on your driving licence does if affect you car insurance?

Where can I get the number plate "PEN1S" ?

I forgot to tell my insurance company about my 3 points- can i do it now and not get in trouble?
Hi,

I had 3 points for speeding about 15 months ago but completely forgot to tell my insurance company about this.

I have just changed addresses and when the new licence came ...

Cheapest car to insure for a 18 year old?

FRAUD? Uninsurable bad driver (friend) wants added to my perfect record insurance policy?
The worlds worst driver is no longer insurable by anyone and is demanding to be added to my 40 year accident free insurance policy. I say that is outright insurance fraud.
She says that it'...

I'm having my first ever driving lesson tomorrow...?
What can I expect, i'm really nervous i don't know anything about gears or anything else about driving in fact....

I have just bought a secondhand car, when should i tell the licensing authority of thr change of ownership?

Non-disabled drivers who use disabled badges...Cunning stunts or Stunning c*nts?
It really p*sses me off when non-disabled drivers use the blue badge..Ive just been watching a report on tv... What do you think of them?...

What do you think of this driving licence?
is it legal?

ive failed my driving test 3 times on petty little things, so was thinking of getting one of these,

is it legal or just a rip off scam?

http://www....

If a car has no mot is it ok to drive, got insurance and tax?

Additional Details
sorry i meant drive to the mot centre... been off ...

How old does a car have to be to classes as a classic?

My insurance said if I take my car to the garage where I want it to go they will only pay so much and I will?
have to pay the rest, I already have to pay £200 excess and can't afford to pay anymore so it's got to go to a garage of their choice, is this wright? When the engineer from the insurance ...

Can anyone reccomend a good car insurance company?

Cheap car insurance in uk?
i am looking for cheap car insurance, the problem being i am 25 past my test nearly 2 yrs ago, need to be fully comp, and own a citroen which is an 02. most insurance comps want £2000...

Im goign for my drivers test tomarrow?
i need hints, tips any thing u have for a written test thanks , like what was your experience with it and (if you can) what were the questions like? thanks.
Additional Details
lol (W...

Im 16 can i do my bike lience and have a car on it ?

Made 2 payments on a 5 year note on a car, was sent title today, can i stop paying on it?

If u where hit by an uninsured driver?
no lectures pls. basically my friend only just got this car and the change of ownership has only gone thru she hasn't gotten round to insuring it and last night she got hit and it was entirely ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, December 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links