Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

How soon do I need to insure a new car.?
Find answers to your legal question.

How soon do I need to insure a new car.?

We are going to purchase a car next Sunday from a private party. How soon do I need to get coverage on it? I already have coverage on my other cars. I'm just worried if it gets stolen/damaged before I can get it covered. We aren't 100% sure we want the vehicle so I don't want to cover something that's not in our name yet. Would it still be covered by the previous owner for awhile? Thanks in Advance!

Mad Jack
Rating
This depends on your insurance company.

Whenever I buy a new car, I always call my insurance agent ahead of time and let him know my intentions. This way, I am covered as soon as I buy the car, even if his office is closed.

I then go to his office the first business day after I buy the car and fill out the paperwork.

fire4511
Rating
Contact your insurance company to see what they will require in order for you to be covered on your new purchase. You may be covered under a grace period, or they may require you to notify them before the coverage begins.

Some companies have 24/7 phone service, where you can make changes to your policy at any time. Some do not. Check with the company or your agent to see what is required.

♥~*Momma Bear*~♥
Rating
It depends on what state you live in. Here in Ohio your car is automatically covered as soon as you drive it off of the lot if you have an existing active policy. It's covered up to 30 days but after the first 30 days you have to add it to your policy.

Honky Kong
Rating
Provided that you're absolutely certain that you're going to purchase the vehicle, your best bet is to have it insured by the time you're paying for it. Be sure you get the VIN (vehicle identification number), the model, and year, and call your insurance company before you go to pick up the car. I'd suggest that you do this on the Friday or Saturday before purchasing the car, to make sure that you've got coverage.

Generally, the previous owner's insurance will not cover the car after it's been sold. Like most people, he'll probably drop it from his insurance plan as soon as possible to save money.

SmartA$$
Rating
It will not be covered by the previous owner at all. Check your current policy on your current vehicles to see what it says about when you buy a new car. Usually they cover any newly purchased vehicle for about a week with the same level of coverage you have on your other cars. You should call your insurance agent and ask how the process works with your policy.

john
Rating
normally since you have coveraged on you other cars, when you
purchase a vehicle, it blankets the new car you purchased until
you buy another coverage for the new one. check with your current
insurance company for validity.

alphadetectives
Rating
Legally speaking, the moment you exchange money for the vehicle and sign the V5, you have become the registered owner and keeper. Therefore you must have insurance to drive the vehicle away from the previous owners property.

If you need cover on multiple vehicles simultaeneously, contact your insurer, as they can add a vehicle on a temporary basis, subject to an additional premium usually.

Alternatively, you could get a "one day cover" type policy.

Jeff k
Rating
Most of the time It should be on the registration renewal of your car. Because they would not permit any registration that has no insurance.

sweetpea_86442
If it were me I would drive straight to my Insurance Company after purchasing and add it to my policy. I've done it before and it's real simple.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Driving test with a different car..?
I have failed my driving test twice now and i have been practising in a Vauxhall Corsa for the past year and a half. My parents might want to change to a different car company (I had BSM who charge ...

Can my daughter drive my car?
My daughter is 17 and lives with us in our CA home. She has her license and has been bugging me to let her drive my car. She says she does not need to be on our insurance because she is an occasional ...

Why is my insurance company deducting the excess from my payout?
I'm asking this on here because they're about as much use a chocolate fireguard if all you want is a straight, sensible answer.

My Pan Euro was hit while parked in Edinburgh and ...

My drivers license expired because of my birthday?
what happens if I'm pulled over?...

Wow, car insurance is like 3-4 times more expensive than car payments.?
I was looking to lease a new lexus is 250 which would cost me 369 a month but i went to get a quote from geico, it said that the insurance would cost about 1600 a month. I think that is pretty insane ...

If i have someones name how can i find there license plate number?

Wen caught commiting car offence, do points go on licence from date of offence or court date conviction?
was caught speeding during ist 2 years of passing test, was convicted an took over 6 points allowed, date of conviction was 2 months after 2 year thresh hold, was sent letter from DVLA stating i ...

Insurance For Small 3 Door car?
Hi, I was wondering if someone would be able to guide me to a good company to insure a Nissan Micra, 3 door. I currently have a South African drivers licence, but will change it soon to a UK drivers. ...

N reg Corsa stolen last night, it was found burnt out this morning. Is it worth claiming?
The excess on the insurance is £350 and so is it worth claiming or shall we just leave it? We've already rang the insurance company and they have moved it using a recovery vehicle. Can we all ...

How can i get my license if i dont have car insurance?
I'm new to texas so borrowing a car from someone is a no.....im trying to get my license for the first time but when applying for auto insurance they require a license...what can i do?
A...

What if someone had a valid drivers license?
If say your buying for yourself a car but you don't have a valid drivers license but do have someone who has one can you still buy one?...

Do provisioal driving lisences expire?

Can 15 min. really save you 15% on car insurance >?????

How do I convince the insurance adjuster that I truly AM in pain and have a long-term injury?
I was in a car accident 4 months ago. A young guy rear-ended my car while I was stopped and he was going about 40 MPH (his insurance company immediately admitted 100% fault). My car and his car ...

What happens when a car gets hit by lightining?

Uninsured motorsist wants my car.?
The uninsured motorist who ran the red light has agreed to the payment of $2310 for the total loss of my Honda Accord, but the thing is she is expecting that I sign my car over to her because she is ...

What will happen to a car if oil was mixed with sugar. my car was vandalized and they found some in my car?

Do I need a drivers licenses to insure and plate a car?

If your caught without your insurance card do you have a few days to produce the card?
or can you be cited immediately....

I just paid off my car loan- 11 yr old Subaru (140,000 miles) Should I drop the Comprehensive insurance?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links