Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

I have Third party fire and Theft insurance, am I covered to drive another car not owned by me?
Find answers to your legal question.

I have Third party fire and Theft insurance, am I covered to drive another car not owned by me?

Anchor Cranker
Rating
No

beanco
Not on your Insurance you cant. Only if the other persons insurance covers any driver to drive with his/her permission and doesnt have named drivers will you be covered.

joe m
No, although if they are fully comp to enable others to drive then as long as they say you can then off you go

hong kong phooey
nope. only fully comprehensive covers u to drive another vehicle & even then the other vehicle is covered only by third party insurance when u drive it

x
Doubt it, but see what it says on your insurance certificate.

Mine is comprehensive and it says I can, but I read somewhere that insurance companies are stopping this due to abuse.

onukpa
Rating
nope. you take insurance to cover your interest in a particular car

Fred C
Rating
If you have a collision, you aren't covered, plain and simple.

Bandit600
Rating
Not likely. Phone your insurance company and ask.

c.j.davies
Rating
Look on your insurance certificate it normally says on that, and if you are not allowed it should say on the bottom.

Paul Sabre
Rating
No ,sorry . You get this privilege when you have fully comprehensive insurance

zitless
To all intents and purposes, you are only insured for third party cover which means that your insurance company will only pay out to the other party if you are found to be at fault, whereas, if they hit you, you will only be able to claim for damage to their vehicle, not yours ( think) I don't believe you will be able to drive someone elses car unless they are fully comprehensive, in which case their insurance MAY cover you in the event of an accident. There is no way I would let a 3rd party cover driver behind the wheel of my car.

abilityunknown
...i doubt it but check your policy...the insurance documents you have for your vehicle will tell you the status of it all...have fun...

tickled pink
in some cases and others you wouldnt be.. read you policy it will tell you all you need to know.

nenoneno
no u need fully comprehensive cover on your car to give you third party cover on other cars with owners permission but if there is a specific second vehicle you wish to drive u may find your insurance company will give u cover for a set time period at a price for that vehicle in addition to your normal premium

pigeon
Rating
only if its on fire

diddy o
yes

The Fat Controller
Rating
you will have to check your insurance document .I would expect however that unless you asked for this type of cover then answer is no. Some fully comp insurance does allow you to drive other cars but with limited third party cover

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can i drive immediately if i purchase my car tax online?
if i go on direct.gov.uk and buy my car tax online, can i drive immediately, or do i need to display my tax disk on the car before it's legal to drive?

If i roll back on someone at a stop light (on an incline) is that my fault or their fault?
i was stopped at a stop light on an incline and some idiot pulled like a foot off my back bumper. so i pull up a foot or two, and what do they do? they pull up even closer! so i pull up one more time ...

What is the cheapest insurance firm for new drivers?
i am 21, female, just passed test...does anyone know any ggod insurance firms to try?...

Hey i got a £60 fixed pentaly for speeding, i had 28 days to pay. im 3 days over that 28 days!? wt shud i do?

What usually happens to an uninsured driver if they have a car accident?
I understand insurance is a must-have if you own a car in case your car gets damaged, as repairs can be costly. If you have an accident you would claim from the other party.

However, if ...

A car hit my car and he gave me the wrong insurace info.?
can i file a hit n run police report? his insurance is not valid
Additional Details
this happened a week and 2 days ago but i just found out from my insurance. is it to late to file 1?...

What is the cheapest car to insure and with whom for a 17 year old boy t5hat just about to take his test?
lives around the croydon area suerry out skirts of ...

What if the cost to repair my car on an insurance claim is more than what the car is worth?

Can i drive my mates uninsured car..........?
I have a car which has messed up on me, my mate said I can use his car but its not insured. I am insured on my car (only third party fire and theft) so will I be covered to drive his car?...

I hit a car from behind.... who then hit the car in front of it from behind?
I know the car I hit was my fault, but should I have to pay to fix BOTH vehicles. the car i hit should have gotten a ticket for hitting THAT car from behind right? It was obviously tooo close as well....

I got my driver license today, can i drive without car insurance?
I mean my mom's car is covered by insurance but my name is not on the insurance, can i still drive the car? or should i wait until my name is put into the insurance?

Taking a pictue at the dmvfor my driving licence?
can i bring y own photo if so how big does it have to be???...

Can I drive home the newly purchased used car with NO tax?
Hi,
I bought a car that has MOT but no tax and it's declared SORN.
I took insurance a while ago and asked the agent to email it to my email ID so that I can take a printout of it.

If a vehicle is my husband's, but in my name, am I liable if he wrecks?
We bought the pick up after we married, but due to his bad credit, the bank would not put it in his name, only mine. We are seperated, but not divorced, and he is drinking a lot. If he wrecks and ...

How much is insurance for a single male under 25 on a DODGE CHARGER?
??...

No Driving license?
who do i contact in the uk to report someone without a driving license or insurance?
Additional Details
For those who have asked its to do the right thing and report a waster alcoholic ...

What happens if you don't get car insurance?
I wrote a similar question and got jack-*** answers, if you feel the need to do that, don't answer at all....

Does having an out of date MOT invalidate insurance when making a claim?
I had an accident in my car in January and wrote it off, I am in the middle of claiming through my insurance company and have got to the stage where i have to send off all my documents. Ive just ...

What are the risk of putting a car in my name for some one else?
The car will be payed off, but i was wondering how it will affect my credit, insurance on my own car, ect. And if he gets a ticket will i be affected? What if drugs or something is found in the car?...

Does AAA cover deer accidents?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, September 15, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links