Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

I hit a deer with my car, will they make me pay a deductible when I turn it in to the insurance company?
Find answers to your legal question.

I hit a deer with my car, will they make me pay a deductible when I turn it in to the insurance company?

My brother-in-law has hit a few animals and he said that the insurance company considers them an act of God so he never had to pay deductibles, is this true?

DASH
Rating
this is very true, it depends on what state you reside in. IE in the state of south carolina, the state is liable if you hit a deer on a major highway in their state.

Chris
I've only seen what your brother in law is speaking of when the insured actually CHOSE coverage with no deductible for comprehensive. However, you have to check your policy to see if it provides a deductible waiver for hitting an animal, which by the way, is NOT an act of God.

CowboyBill
Read your policy. If you have a deductible under your comp. coverage then YES -- but you only have to PAY when the car is repaired. A deductible is an amount of money that is 'deducted' from the amount the insurance company pays for repairs or total loss settlement.

perplexed
Who does he have his ins. with?? I have never heard of this. They always make you pay deductibles.

bostonianinmo
It's true only if your policy says so.

Hitting an animal is covered under your comprehensive coverage, not collision. Comp often has a lower deductible than collision. Maybe your friend had no deductible on his comp coverage.

☆Happy Mom Of One☆
Rating
Yes, you have to pay the deductible. Sometimes it may be cheaper to not go through your insurance so your premium won't go up, but it depends on how much damage was done.

la428282
Rating
In the contract you sign with your insurance company it says you pay a deductible whenever you file a claim through them regardless of who's fault it is.

Now, sometimes this deductible will be waived as a courtesy when your insurance company knows they can get their money back from the at fault parties insurance through a process called subrogation (therefore not losing profit).

So, unless you hit a rich deer who is admitting fault for running into your car- the insurance company is not going to loss profit just to be "nice" to you .

klberry212
Rating
One nice insurance company and news to me. They don`t do anything for free.

Iknowthisone
I would think so. If it is not let us know who your insurance company is.

ezachowski
If your policy has a deductible then you will have to pay it unless they feel generous.

Loollea
yes, you will have to pay your comprehensive deductible for this
your B-I-L is full of it

AZmomm43
If you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle with a $0 deductible, then no, you won't have to pay one. I've never heard of an insurance company waiving a deductible for hitting a deer. Most people who have comp coverage on their vehicle have a deductible and most insurance companies will not list comp claims as "at fault" so they won't affect your premiums either.

ronb48146
Rating
my insurance co. made me pay my deductible.

Matt
There are ways around paying the deductable. The bad thing about hitting a deer is that it is considered to be "An Act Of God". If you do not have full coverage your insurance company WILL NOT pay for the damage. Most people only have liability so when a tree falls on their car or they hit a dear the insurance says it is an act of god so they dont have to cover it.

Alot of car repair/ body shops will cover a certain amount of the deductable. For example the total bill is 4,000 dollers and your deductable is 500. They will bill your insurance company 3,500 and then give you a 500 doller discount after they bill it. Call and check around and shop for the best price.

JUAN FRAN$$$
Rating
He most likely had it fixed on his comp. not collision.
And in some states you can make the Department of Wild life pay for it since they consider them their deer.

spaceman
Rating
.................... FOR ONCE WHY DON'T YOU THINK FOR THE ............... DEER ............. my dear ........

tonyswaney
Rating
yes you will pay the deductible however you don't have to look very far to get your body shop to add the deductible to the repair find the shop that will do that and have that shop give you courtesy bids for the other estimates

oklatom
If all you have is comprehensive insurance that covers you damaging someone elses property, they will pay you nothing.

If you have full coverage, including collision, they will pay, LESS the amount you chose for deductible.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How many points can you recieve on your driving lience in thefirst 2 years of driving?

Can please someone suggest the cheapest and yet good car insurance company?

How much time do you have to get car insurance after buying a car?
I'm considering buying a car insurance, I've been driving for years but none of the cars have actually been in my name and my mom has me on her plan. If I buy a car I'll need ...

Does anyone know how to find out the name of the registered owner of a vehicle?

Are they responsible to pay?
I have been working in a school, I have been parking my car in th carpark, when I went to leave today the passenger window has been smashed. I only have 3rd party on my insurance so I am not covered ...

They're trying to "Salvage" my vehicle!?
I hope you can give me some advice on this! I live in California. My vehicles interior was vandalized, and while I know exactly who did it, I have no proof, and cannot take them to civil court to ...

I'm a 20 year old girl who has just passed my driving test,whats the best small car for insurance,as I dont kn
The car will be roughly 5 or 6 years old it goes by insurance band levels WHICH i AM LOST WITH...

What is the best but cheapest car insurance for 23yr old guy in Florida?
im looking to buy a new car in the coming month but wasn't sure what insurance would help me save money and also provided great coverage just in case of an accident?...

If your in an accident and it's not your fault does your insurance go up any?

How long do points for speeding stay on your licence?

What do I do when the other partys insurance wants me to pay more than book value for a car I damaged?
I was recently in a car accident. Unfortunately, I had no insurance. Therefore I am responsible for the damages. BUT the other partys insurance is trying to get me to pay more than her car is worth. I...

Car insurance wont pay up!?
Right dilema. was involved in car accident, i tried to avoid a child who was playing chicken in the road, i hit this child and collided into a wall, my car is now a complete write off! Churchill wont ...

My california driver's license just got suspended. Can I still drive in Texas?
My CA driver's license was suspended for over speeding. I feel really bad about it and don't plan to drive like this again. I am planning to visit Texas for a week and was hoping to get ...

Who is the best for car insurance?

Can you get car insurance with out a licence?? if so..how so?
i just bought a car for my mom...who is without a licence.
but she needs a car to take her drivers test in. (this is tecnically my frist car)
can i get the car registered without insurence?...

Do you need to be on the auto insurance to drive a car you borrowed from someone?
my girl friend keeps yelling at me because she thinks its illegal that i borrowed my dads car for one night but im not on his insurance....

I hired a van and scratched the bumber. They want £500 excess. Do I pay?
I only had £100 on me and the guy in the office said the damage wouldn't come to that. He took the money and said they would refund the difference so I would only pay the actual cost. Now I'...

Driving on private roads without insurance ?
is this legal? also say if you havnt got a license (provisional or full) i have a provisonal but im just wondering the laws againest ...

My friend's car has been towed for not being taxed, how can he get it back? UK?
How much will it cost to get back and how dose he get it back it was taken away 1 week ago....

Son in law is military going to school in florida for 6 months, will hw have to relicense vehicles there?
plates have 7 months left from texas and will they have to get florida driver license also?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links