Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

I just sold my old car and bought a new one, cash, can i swap my insurance to the new one?
Find answers to your legal question.

I just sold my old car and bought a new one, cash, can i swap my insurance to the new one?

I just made this months payment on it ( the insurance) and i want to know if they can just switch it to the new one or do i have to start a new policy and give another down payment. Can they just credit me what I paid? Thanks.

PJ
Sure, just call your insurance company. They will adjust your premiums and send you a bill or a check - which ever is appropriate. They do not make you pay another down payment - they just switch the coverage and adjust the bill.

Heidi
Most insurance companies will quote the new coverage and update your policy. It's likely that your new payment will be higher than your old. My company simply distributes the gap across the remaining months of my six-month policy. I've never had to provide an additional downpayment.

everythingspeachy2000
Rating
Just tell them you got a new car and they will ask some questions and apply what you have sent in and take it from there! You might owe a couple more dollars or you might get some BACK depending on what you want.

David W
Rating
Sure, you can. In fact, the standard auto policy automatically covers newly acquired vehicles for at least 30 days, but don't put off calling the agent/company to add the new one; it's easy to forget to do it! When you register the new one at the DMV, just use your current company and policy number.

Hillbilly Locksmith
Rating
Should be able to transfer the insurance, but u may have to pay any difference in the premium if the new car is a newer/higher liability model.

SUSAN M
Rating
I'm not an expert on this,however I would suggest you take a tour here http://www.insuranceidea.info/free-insurance.htm ,there are expert's tips there.

Dan B
You'll cancel the insurance on the old car and receive a credit for your new car policy, if any. You'll be purchasing a new (6 mo or 1 yr) policy on the new vehicle and pay the difference. There's no one-for-one swapping.

Mike C
if it is liability, they should just swap it to the new vehicle. Full coverage may be another story.

Tell me WHY?
Yes, if they are a good insurance company they will transfer. You may be credited a difference or have to pay a difference. It shouldn't be as much as your initial down payment. Call them and ask! Good luck :)

teduardosportacus
will probably need a new policy as different cars get different rates.

Eat Funyuns.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Question(s) about personalized license plates?
When you go to pick up your custom, personalized license plates at the DMV, do you get two? And how do you transfer your tags? Do you get new tags to put on the new plates?
Additional Details

When is the best time to buy my car tax?
My tax runs out on my Ford KA on 30th September, when would be the best time to buy it online do you think?...

I was involved in a minor car accident and now Im having problems with the other party...?
i was in a parking lot. i went to pull out and this lady zipped up behind me. we knicked bumpers. i apologized for the inconvenience and gave her my info. she was like 'oh no big deal' and ...

People tell me i can get insurance of my own under18, is this true?
i want a vehicle but my father wont let me get one because hes scared that if i wreck than it makes his rates go higher. can i get my own insurance and not be on my parents?...

I registered a car for a friend in my name but they got a lot of tickets and 2 ins lapse on it should i keepit
the title is in my name. i have told them on several occassions to give me back my plates the refused and is currently driving around w/out ins on it should i just take the car she paid for it but it ...

I have a provisional driving licence and want to do my driving test but it has my old address is it now void?
Its not out of date still have ten years til i need a new one? I still live in same town just different house?...

Leasing VS Financing on insurance rates?
Just wondering, if leasing and financing have any difference on insurance rates? For example of the same person finances the exact same car or leases it(with gap coverage in the lease) would the ...

I have mislaid my car insurance tax and m.o.t. ?
how can i get my car tax that is due at end of the month
Additional Details
i have insurance i have car tax i have m.o.t. just mislaid them all, while moving home recently and car tax is ...

I'm 17 and just past my driving test does any body know where you can get cheap car insurance?

Should my boyfriend share in car expenses?
My boyfriend and I are living together. We have only one car. Me being the primary user. I pay for gas, insurance, etc. The insurance is only liability so it is very inexpensive. The catch 22 is ...

I was in a car accident 2 days ago and I am 9 weeks pregnant. How should I settle?
I was exactly 9 weeks pregnant when some idiot pulled out in front of me and another car on icy roads. He thought he could make it across but I NAILED his back end of his truck. I was going about 45 ...

Car Insurance Question?
I have a 96 Corsica (Chevy). If I traded it for a 2000 to 2004, would my car insurance go up? Thanks, SeminoleC...

Had accident and not in fault, should i still hav to pay excess?
cos they said the car that hit me was insured but the guy driving it wasnt the main driver i will still hav to pay the excess and will lose my no claim bonus. i didnt even do nothing wrong, the ...

Car Accident insurance fault?
On saturday night, sept.9, around 10pm, I was driving southbound on dranesville road,.

Anyway, we were turning left onto wiehle avenue from Dranesville, but the light was red so we stopped....

Should teenages get their driving lincese at the age of 15?
Teenage are starting to work now and instead of their parents taking them. They can drive their own ...

Can I drive my friends car without insurance?
I don't own a car. I don't have auto insurance. If I borrow a friends car, am I covered under his insurance?...

If someone does not have insurance?
if you get hit and you don't have insurance? can you still get money for the accident?...

What do you pay for your car insurence? Im 16 and what to have an idea?
I'm 16 and don't have a car yet and would just like to know what kind of car what year and stuff and your age and then how much you pay to get an idea what im going to be paying....

What questions can I expect if I want to get a car insurance?
Also how can I lower my insurance rate. Currently I have IP only (not the actual driver's license) but have recently purchased the car. I live in OH.
Additional Details
I'm ...

Cheapest car to insure for new driver aged 17?
I looked for a quote on a 1994 renault clio 1.4 RT, which came up as £1059 per year, and also for one of the older eary 90's golfs, which was even higher at over £2000, for a 17yr old driver.

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 1, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links