Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

I let a friend borrow my backup car for a few weeks and it ran out of gas got stolen crashed and impounded?
Find answers to your legal question.

I let a friend borrow my backup car for a few weeks and it ran out of gas got stolen crashed and impounded?

loaned my car to a friend then it ran out of gas she left it in a des parking lot then when she went back to get it(2 days later) it was gone. when i called to report it stolen i found out that it had been involved in a hit and run. It was registered in my name insured in my friends name and i got the 3000 dollar medical bill for the other person in the wreck! NOW WHAT?

Dan B
Rating
My Evil Twin raises an excellent question. Car thieves are not going to waste time trying to steal a car that won't start. If they can't start it, they're going to look for an easier job. I think your friend had the accident and ran, didn't tell anyone. Since you gave her permission to use the car, you are liable. Turn the bill over to your / her insurance an see if they will pay. If not, SUE, but you probably won't win - you gave her permission to use the car.

Since it was a hit and run, did the police get prints off the steering wheel? Hit and run with an injury is a serious offense. Was the ignition switch damaged? Any indication the wiring was tampered with?

Sandy
Sue the hell out of your friend!

KansasCody
You're not responsible if your car was stolen.

janna
bad friend . do what every body else tell u to do!!!!!!!

asdfghjl
sue
sue
sue
sue
sue
sue
sue
sue

xxxlesaxxx
make your "friend" pay the bill!

kelly_f_1999
Rating
well i guess you now know you should never loan a car to anyone but only thing you can do is talk with a lawyer and try and prome it wasnt you who done it and that it was stolen ..

My Evil Twin
Sorry, but that all sounds like a very convoluted story that is highly improbable and hard to believe. Ran out of gas and then stolen for evil purposes by persons unknown? Sure. I'd contact an attorney if I were you.

lucky
Rating
lets see ran out of gas then stolen :involved in hit and run and impound

let friend use it for a few weeks but she had ins on it i dont know how it works were you are from but in ky the car has to be in your name before you can get ins on it

i think that i would have said car stolen used in hit and run then ran out of gas then inpounded

Nap
Rating
Unless the car was reported stolen BEFORE the accident/Hit & Run, Your S*** out of luck. Unfortunately the authorities everywhere kind of don't believe you and me or Joe Public very much. According to them WE lie alot. You gave a clue here and I hear this one very often My friend then It ran out of gas and when SHE went back. That kind of explains everything. But again, S*** out of luck or ( SOOL) Good Luck and you will need It

Best answer usually the simplest
Not your problem. I say this because GM or Ford have a lot of new cars on their lots. If one of them got stolen and involved in a hit and run....GM is not going to pay anybodies medical even though GM owns the car.
You own the vehicle. You were not in the vehicle. It was parked, dead on the road.
How it gets into an accident without gas and a driver with a key is a mystery would you not agree?
Somebody else put fuel in it and hotwired it and had an accident with it.
Do you have coverage for theft? That is all you are covered for, if you do otherwise you are out of pocket.

dr_layne
Rating
Let me get this straight. Someone stole a car that wouldn't run because it was out of gas. A thief is not going to take the time to put gas into a car so he can steal it. Sounds suspicious to me. I don't think your friend is telling you the truth.

Bett-ee
Make your "friend" pay. If she won't, sue her.

low_ministock_racin
First, If there's a police report on the vehicle theft, that will cover you in court for the medical bill.

Second, Because the car is still registered in your name the impound fees will fall on your shoulders. Most impound yards are around $200 tow-n-stash plus $25 or so per night in storage. If they don't get the money by the 30 day limit, they will auction your car and come after you for the total bill.

If you can proove the car was stolen in court, they may throw out the impound fees.

I really hope your friend reported it stolen. Having insurance on YOUR car just protects them in a case that THEY are involved in. Everything else is your responsibility.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If a motorcycle blocks you in and you hit them leaving who's fault is it?
My neighbour insists on parking his motorcycle in between parked cars that are parked along the street outside (ie not in marked bays), almost always this results in there being a tiny gap to ...

What happenes if you do not get your license renewed after the expiration date?

How many driving lessons to do b4 taking a test?

I have bought a car off a friend it now needs re taxing an the car is still not registered to me what can i do
the tax is due in two days been told to fill in a V62 form but this will take four weeks is there anything else i can ...

Whats the cheapest car insurance arround at the mo?
have had loads of different quotes...
Additional Details
i was asking in case anyone else new of a cheap insurance company...! some vary as much as 100.00 ... very confusing..why are ...

Had a car accident the air bags didnt come off, should i sue the car company?
i was hit in the back of my car a kia spectra 2007 then i hit the one in front of me. the front of my car was totally wrecked.
my air bag didnt come off, should i or can i sue kia?
A...

My driver, Michelle, has now had 3 incidents?
She has been my driver for 2 months and is 28 yrs old. These are the incidents:
1. She said the tree suddenly appeared from nowhere.
2. The car turned the wrong way at the road junction.

Car insurance void????
can i be prosecuted by the police if i am driving a car, of which the insurance policy was to be void if i was to have a crash? i havnt crashed so there for i am still insured and the insurance is ...

No insurance, spun out on highway during severe snow storm and was hit. Who is at fault?
The section of highway I was driving on was 2 lanes wide and straight for a mile. Traffic traveling the opposite direction was separated by about 100 feet of grass. The maximum speed limit is 65mph ...

I was recently hit from behind by another car and suffered a whiplash injury along with my two sons aged 10?
and 8. My baby daughter was also in the car but thankfully none of us were seriously injured which is the most important thing. After informing my insurance company i received a call from a personal ...

How can I get the title of my car......?
I bought a car from a guy a year ago and now that I need to change the registration sticker I don't have the title. How can I still renew that sticker without the title....

What is the law regarding being allowed to drive other peoples car if your on fully comprehensive insurance?

Can a cop tell from your license plate number that your license is suspended?

Is it a legal neccesity to insure a caravan ?

If you have a co signer for your car if something happens can they take the car from you?

Additional Details
if it was you fiance and we split up can he take the car from me???...

Can a car insurance claim be filed without a police report?

Do I need to maintain full coverage auto insurance for the life of my auto loan?
I was told by a coworker I can just get liability insurance after one year....

Can I get in trouble if someone is caught driving my vehicle without a license?
I live in Arizona
Additional Details
Thank you for all of your responses, conflicting as they may be. I' am bedridden and do not have many options but it is nice to be informed....

What happens if my mom got into a crash but doesn't report it to the DMV.?
The other lady got a scratch on her car but she may or may not report it. Thanks a lot.
Additional Details
The other lady got a scratch on her car but she may or may not report it. They ...

Car Accident! She's lying! Help!!?
I was in an accident gave my version to my insurance and the other party involved. She refussed to give her version to my insurance. I was in a right hand turning only lane. Se was in the only ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, April 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links