Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If I put my plates on someone elses car will my insurance cover it?
Find answers to your legal question.

If I put my plates on someone elses car will my insurance cover it?

My brother is a dealer and I will be borrowing a car for a day or two and I am wondering if I take off the dealer plates and put one of my own cars plates and carry my insurance card, will my insurance cover any accidents or damages that may happen?

If I need to do anything else, let me know in detail what and any costs.

The Gooroo
Rating
No, insurance will not cover it. Insurance covers the CAR, not the license plate. Do not even bother trying this -- not worth it.

oklatom
Rating
No. Insurance goes with the car, not with the plates. Now suppose for a minute you get stopped. You are driving a 2007 Lincoln but the plate and the insurance card comes back to a 1988 Ford Focus. Do you think the officer is going to go "Okay, just slow down" and let you go, or are alarms bells and red lights likely to go off?

You can do it providing you aren't stopped. If you are, you're going to be arrested and the car towed. And if you aren't stopped, it's providing you don't have any accidents, since insurance won't cover you. Or to put it in easy to understand terms. NO.

Katelyn
Rating
If you do get in a wreck, or happen to get pulled over..you can get in very VERY big trouble for driving a car with liscence plates that are registered on another vehicle.

LB xoxo
no it wont. the insurance covers the car that has been registered withthat particular license plate. so if u have a red honda with license plate number 0000000 and u put it on a black suburban or something, it is illegal and if you get pulled over you could get fined, revoked license, and ticketed. and to register ur brothers car on ur insurance, you have to show proof of ownership. since you dont own the vehicle, you cant do that either.

Boogers
Rating
i don't think you need to switch the plates. they can still tell it isn't the car on the insurance. you just need to find out if your brothers insurance covers other people and what your insurance covers.

jumbobret
That's illegal. Insurance goes by vin.

Kizzy
Rating
That fraud and no your insurance coverage has nothing to do with the license plates, so not only would you be committing fraud, you'll be driving uninsured.

kdj85
Rating
Are you serious? No.

Lapband Man
Rating
If you are borrowing a car from a dealer, there should be dealer plates on it. PERIOD!

If you are borrowing a car from someone else, that has no plates, I would check with Motor vehicles before driving it.

What ever you do, do not take your plates and put it on any other car.

You insurance will cover you for your vehicle only, unless there is a waiver signed by you!

hbouhl@ymail.com
Rating
Taking dealer plates and putting them on anything that is not a dealer vehicle is FRAUD! Putting your plates on a vehicle that the plates are not registered to, is going to get you into trouble.

lj1
Insurance goes with the car, not the tag. Besides, what you are thinking about doing would be illegal. Not only would your insurance refuse to cover the other car, you would also get a hefty fine (maybe worse) for having your tag on the wrong vehicle.

entidtil
You would be violating the law if you do that. Insurance won't cover and you could be fined or even go to jail

Gambit
Rating
Only if you have a bill of sale saying you've just purchased the vehicle. Your insurance will cover a newly acquired vehicle for a certain number of days with the same coverages as your current vehicle has. However you cannot just put your plates on the vehicle. The plates would have to be transferred to the new vehicle.

Rumisha R
Rating
I don't think your insurance will cover it. Those plates are assigned to that 1 car. I would as your insurance agent. I would think too, you may could get a ticket.

Scott H
Probably not. Sounds like a form of fraud to me.

Insuranceman
Rating
If you put YOUR clothes on your brother, would he be covered??

No.....I didn't think so.

Same answer would apply for the car.

If your brother is a car dealer - why not just drive the car with HIS plates and let his dealer's insurance cover you??

Check your policy - it might provide temporary coverage as a temporary substitute.

When in doubt.....call your insurance agent.

Good luck, drive RESPONSIBLY and I hope this helps!

lakeside463
Rating
Hi...yes, you need to call your insurance company about ANY car you want covered even if it's one day. I am pretty sure they will give you a prorated charge for a few days coverage, however.

The only other option is just taking your chances and having no coverage, of course driving around with the plates and card will appear to cover it...but if something DID happen...you wouldn't be.

I know it stinks that you would have to pay for a day or two's coverage, but pretty sure there will be some charge.

Hope this helped :)

SSG D
Rating
Just call your insurance company and add the car for a couple of days , should be no additional cost unless its a sport car of something out of norm. if you just put the plate on your not covered , since you report the vehicle with VIN number in a accident especially when there is injury involved. Cover your butt and not the plates

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If you get a dui, facing a suspended drivers licence can you still get a motorcycle's license?
Or any other transportation license?...

Whats the cheapest way to get car insurance for a 17 year old male?
im a 17 year old boy learning to drive whats teh best car for me to get and cheapest way to insure it
cheapest companies
best cars for my age to insure

My accident was considered a hit and run. Insurance wont cover damages to my car. What are my options?
My parked vehicle was hit by a motorcyclist who was cut off by another motorist who fled the scene. The motorcyclist had insurance, but the police report said it was a hit and run, so the ...

Do you know if State Farm is a good place to be insured?
My insurance on my Jeep liberty is very high. My son who is 21 yrs old is on the policy. Can State Farm tell if I have been shopping around for other insurance by checking my credit rating? I have ...

Somebody pulled out of a side road into my son's car. She had a give way sign against her Now she blames him
~At the time she said she had not seen him and she was sorry. Later that night her husband rang to say it was my son's fault for going too fast along the main road and that they were not at ...

I hit a deer with my car, will they make me pay a deductible when I turn it in to the insurance company?
My brother-in-law has hit a few animals and he said that the insurance company considers them an act of God so he never had to pay deductibles, is this true?...

Cop pulls me over. Asks to see license but not auto reg or Insurance card?
gives me a no seaat belt ticket. Can I use the fact that I wasn't asked for Auto Reg or Insurance card to have it thrown out in court?
Additional Details
Thanks for all your input. I...

I'll be 18 in September. I'm in Driver's Ed right now. Is it cheaper to skip D.E. and just get my license?
I have Test Anxiety so i find my Online Driver's Education course very difficult. I've been working on it for over a year now. I've had my permit for a year and a half (yes i renewed ...

Aren't the gas prices awesome?
Does anyone else love it when gas prices keep going up?!?!?! I don't have to pay it because I live in New York and I can just take the subway and buses everywhere and I don't even drive my ...

Should i still be paying my car insurance after its been stolen? even though the insurance has paid me out?
hi i had my car stolen about 2 months ago, the police still hav'nt found it but my insurance paid me out, the problem i have is that they still want monthly payments and im finding it hard to ...

My friend was stopped by police whilst driving my car.?(banned driver)?
before giving him the car i asked to see his insurance policy , which he did. i didn't see his licence though. i've been given a £200 fine plus points. Can i contest this since i was not ...

If a tree branch falls on my car, who is responsible for repairing it?
the car was parked in front of my house and the branch is near the sidewalk.
Additional Details
I thought maybe the city is responsible, I have asked them before to fix my sidewalk ...

Car Insurance due for renewal any recommendations? (uk)?

Additional Details
Confuse.com is working out double my own quote of 600....

Can an uninsured driver use another persons car if that person has fully comp. insurance?
My partner is convinced he can drive my sons car. My partner has not owned a car for 6 years and therefore has no insurance of his own. He is convinced he himself would not need insurance as long ...

Do I need insurance?
I'm from New York, but I as of recently live year round in Massachusetts. If I buy a car and register it in the Greater Boston Area, is it required by law that I have Auto Insurance, or is that ...

I was hit by a drunk driver. How much compensation should I ask for? Don't want to start to low. Whats average
The insurance company wants me to start the negotations with a figure. However I don't want to start to low. I sustained a sprained ankle and sore neck. My car is totaled. What is the average ...

How many points can you recieve on your driving lience in thefirst 2 years of driving?

Can please someone suggest the cheapest and yet good car insurance company?

How much time do you have to get car insurance after buying a car?
I'm considering buying a car insurance, I've been driving for years but none of the cars have actually been in my name and my mom has me on her plan. If I buy a car I'll need ...

Does anyone know how to find out the name of the registered owner of a vehicle?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, September 18, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links