Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If a car title is in my name, but someone else paid for it; can they take the car away from me?
Find answers to your legal question.

If a car title is in my name, but someone else paid for it; can they take the car away from me?

Additional Details
The person who paid for it is my father. He paid with a credit card. There was no agreement that I had to pay him back, but now he wants the car from me because he's fighting with my mom (they are divorced).

Valerie P
Rating
Check with your State's Department of Motor Vehicles but in general if you are listed as the only owner and it is a "clear" title (no liens, no co-owners) then the car is legally yours. Some states are stringent about this (Texas) and others are pretty relaxed (California was for a long time?). *Other responders feel free to correct me. I am curious.

I agree with the person who talked about doing the right thing. If the man is taking it back to be mean then that's a different story. He does have a financial interest in the vehicle that make things a little sticky.

Good Luck. Things will work out. They always do!

mastermind
who is it
you are the legal owner but if you owe money they can take you to court
they cant just take it but they could win it in a settlement
the best thing to do is pay the money you owe them for it or transfer the title to them until you can pay it off the right thing to do

Kenneth S
they can not just take it...there is a procedure...but if you owe them let them have it,,,it's the right thing to do.

krbjmpr
Title may be in your name, but the other party may be able to, if they haven't already, put a lien on the title. If there is a contract that states you owe them money, then they can definitely take it from you.

LNSu
No unless their is a contractual agreement between the two of you, r u talking about ure parents if so follow their wishes. either way unless the other party is being vengeful u may wish to forgo the car rather that a relationship stuff is replaceable, people are not!

bcyouletme
Rating
Only if you were supposed to pay them back and you didn't, they may be able to take you to court and sue you. But generally, no, possession 9/10 of law.

irene k
Rating
I guess they'll have to prove that they paid for it first. Was this a car bought by them for you as a gift? How did they pay for it? It looks like they should have to take you to court to get the title. Did they buy from you? More info , please!

elisayn
This is more a question of conscience. Dad
did pay for the car. I cant seem to give an answer in good conscience. I have no idea if he didn't expect you would pay eventually. You have to decide for your own peace of mind. good luck.
bettyk

Thomas E
Rating
Who is "they".

sun_beam61
No they can't. It is legally yours! (Your name is on the title)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I drive a car that has just arrived in the UK (imported from USA) home on my own insurance policy?
A friend of mine has sent a car over from the states and wants me to pick it up from Southampton docks and drive it to my home in somerset. I understand you are allowed one journey befor you regester ...

I need to run a Licensee plate?
I have a vin # and License plate number. How can I get an address and owner name?...

Do you have to smog old trucks?

How old were you when you got your driving license?
POLL-Hold were you wen u got your drivers license
Additional Details
*how ...

Car Inusrance?
Can you get a liability insurance even though you are still paying for the car from the bank....

When by daughter moves out and goes away to college do I still have to keep her insured on my car?
My daughter will be going away to college (out-of-state) full-time and staying on-campus. She is currently insured full coverage on my automobile that she is the sole driver. Do I have to continue ...

I need help talking to him!?
my future husband is helping out a friend by letting him buy his car. His friend has no license and is currrently driving the car. My boyfriend has kept the car in his name, and the car is insured in ...

Car accident?
I got in a car accident and i was wonderin how the whole deductible thing goes. Im 19 and had a 92 honda accord. I paid 2000 for it, so if its totaled will they give me what i paid for the car or ...

What is an inexpensive auto insurance company for someone with a very bad driving record?
My driving record is amazingly bad, and when I say bad, I mean it. I live in CT if that makes a difference. Should I get an agent to look for me, or should I look on my own?? T...

My stationary car was hit by a bus driver - how will it affect my insurance if I make a claim?
The other driver drove off but I saw him do it & told the police who confirmed bus company, as a rule have fully comprehensive insurance so but Im concerned that if I make a claim it'll ...

Auto Insurance?
How should I decide whether to buy liability only or full coverage for my 11 year old Toyota Avalon? I've seen a formula for this sort of thing but now I can't find it.....

Permit/license thing?
I am wondering this, I know when you get your permit yuo have to drive withsomeone over 21 and their license. well I am 18 I am wondering if even being 18 with your permit if they have to be over 21 ...

Does anyone know a good car insurance company?
I am a 19 year old girl who lives in New Jersey and has been into 3 accidents since I got my license. Now my insurance company won't renew and I definitely can't afford something that is ...

How much would car insurance be?
Approx how much would it be monthly for a 16 y/o male driving for the first time (first car) '02 BMW?...

Can i apply for an irish driving licence while i live in n.ireland.?

What will the auto insurance pay if your car is deemed as a total loss?

Additional Details
if they go by the blue book value of the car is it the retail value or the private party ...

Will my car Insurance cover my accident???
To top of my bad night at work on my way home i hit a deer. yes, i killed it. I feel so bad. I started crying right when it happened. But it messed up my hood my plates fell off the front. theres a ...

I'm thinking about applying for my provisional licence...?
And on the application, it says to get a signature from a 'professional' person such as a doctor who's known you for 2 or more years. Would a dentist be allowed to do this? Thank Y...

Someone hit my car while it was parked, Their insureance is trying to offer me a low offer!?
What are my options? i HAD a 2000 Honda civic DX salvage tittle. They claim the car is worth only 2800 - 600 because i have to buy the car back.. i paid 4k two years ago. i have ins but its only lib. ...

When is it okay to sign a release to the insurance company for damages?
The insurance adjuster wants me to sign a release for $700,that's fair considering that I didn't have any medical bills.The thing is,my car is still in the repair shop and I don't want ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links