Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If i drive someone elses car with permission and wreck it whos insurance pays?
Find answers to your legal question.

If i drive someone elses car with permission and wreck it whos insurance pays?

oklatom
Rating
To those of you insisting the driver's insurance will cover it, please talk to your agent and find out the truth, and quit spreading misinformation. Again, pay attention now....insurance follows the vehicle, not the driver. That's why there is a make, year, model and VIN on your insurance card, to show what CAR, not what driver, is covered. If you are driving someones vehicle, with permission, you are under the insurance for that vehicle, not your own insurance policy for your car.

If you have an at fault accident, the insurance in force on the car will pay for damages to other property. If you aren't at fault, then the owner of the vehicle you borrowed -- not you -- gets to collect damages from the other insurance company.

If the vehicle is stolen, and reported stolen before the accident that would be a different story of course.

cat.tuck
remind me NOT to let anyone named stanley borrow the car.

patti duke
Rating
The insurance is on the vehicle not the driver so the owner of the car will be on the hook for coverage. Their premiums will also be the one affected.

CowboyBill
Rating
Insurance follows the CAR not the driver. If the car has collision coverage then that is the insurance company that will pay (hopefully).

stacie_yst
Rating
Depends who caused the crash, if it is you then your friends insurance would pay if you are covered.

bundysmom
It depends on 1) the state you live in and 2) the type of auto policy you have and 3) the type of auto policy the car has.

Most states "rule" is THE INSURANCE FOLLOWS THE CAR. There are a few states however, where insurance follows the DRIVER. Which one are you?

If you're in a state where the insurance follows the car, the PRIMARY insurance is the one that currently insures the vehicle, the actual drivers insurance would be SECONDARY.

If coverage is denied for whatever reason by the primary carrier, then the insurance of the DRIVER will become PRIMARY. (This applies for ALL COVERAGES, collision/liability, medpay, liability.)

If your're in a state where the insurance follows the driver, then the driver's insurance carrier is PRIMARY.

bj_north
To be honest it completely depends on the state in which the accident happened. Most states say that the insurance follows the car, but not all states hold this law of liability. It is also up to the owner of the vehicle, they can chose to file the claim or to let you file the claim under your insurance, however depending on how bad the accident was, both may have to pay out as well.

∞infiniti∞
Your insurance, you wrecked it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What are the general fines for driving a friend's car uninsured in the UK for a first time offense?
I drove my friend's car uninsured. He's insured and was drunk in the passenger's seat. The police pulled me over for a broken light and a breath test (which I passed) and wish for me ...

Anyone knowledgeable about car insurance?
Scenario: Wife has a non-owner SR22 policy. Acquires a vehicle,but does not obtain coverage for the car,so essentially,the car is uninsured. Her husband,who is without insurance,is driving the car.A...

My bros car was totaled and the car station whatever people won't release it can they do that?
We called the car people and they told us they won't realese it. we have to pay them for every day they have it, but they won't give it back
Additional Details
it was totaled, ...

I'm buying a 're-mapped' Smart car. Should I declare it to the insurance company?
i didn't want a remapped car but this one came along and I wondered whether I could risk not declaring it as it means £362 as opposed to £241! Any pointers welcome!...

3rd party fire and theft can I change it to fully Comprehensive after???
Lets say for example I insured a car 3rd party fire and theft and after 1 month/2 months etc decided I want fully comprehensive, will my insurance company change it????????????? or do I have to ...

Cheap car insurance for a 29yr old female living in republic of Ireland. where is best?
First time insurance and hold a provisional....

If your car is insured in one state and you live in another, is that insurance fraud?

Car wreck other driver has no insurance?
I was in a car accident NOT MY FAULT other person was issued a ticket for failure to yeild . police gave me her insurance company name and policy # . insurance called me and said her policy was ...

Hi who is at fault..when backing out of a driveway and a passing car hits your back corner of bumper? thanks?
the car was pulling back with its behind at night..with all lights on. and the other car hit the back bumper on its two doors while it was speeding in a scraping motion. this was on a residential ...

Hit by out of state trucker. Won't cooperate. Any help?
I was hit by an out of state truck driver. I have my health insurance and the hospital on my back to pay the bills. The trucking firm that owns the rig won't even return my phone calls now. All I...

How can I help my girlfriend get cheaper insurance? She is 20 years old.?
My girlfriend just got a new Cobalt lt. The insurance is in her fathers name, and she is listed as a driver. The car is in her name. Her father has a good driving record, yet the insurance is around $...

I've been secretly driving my dad's car for a few months what will happen if I tell him?
Im 6ft 3inches tall
200 lbs....and im 13 yrs old
I look like I'm 20 so the neighbors approve of me
Additional Details
I've been driving it in the parking lot ...

Guess the insurance price?
796cc engine, 2002 reg. plate

male driver of 18
Additional Details
Scotland, out in the sticks. Near Stranraer.

Third party only

sorry :P...

Who's Auto Insurance takes priority?
Assuming that both you and your friend have car insurance and you let your friend drive your car who causes an accident, who's insurance takes priority? Your insurance because you let him drive ...

Cheap car insurance for new driver (19yo)?
does anyone know what the cheapest insurance company is? or is there any new drivers that could tell me how much insurance would be about?...

How can I determine the length/weight of my car for registration?
To transfer the title and register the car, I need to provide the length and weight of the car. How can I find this? The car is a 02 toyota solara coupe.
Additional Details
It didn'...

What is the cheapest car insurance agency???

Where can I get a driver's license if I don't have a social security number?

Being sued by a car insurance company, what do I do?
At first, I settled with an insurance company, gave them a lump sum. An year later they contact me again wanting more money. They later send the matter to collection, and I refused to pay them, ...

Why dont you have drivers licence and who does the driving for you?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links