Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If i have points on my licence and insurance company dont know, and have a crash will they pay out?
Find answers to your legal question.

If i have points on my licence and insurance company dont know, and have a crash will they pay out?

Additional Details
its 5 points for speeding last april. crash was 2 weeks ago and total write off no other drivers involved. slid on black ice and hit a wall.

Ansell A
Rating
Depends entirely on the insurance company and what the points are for.

You should declare any convictions as soon as received or there is the possibility you insurance would be invalid.

maloneyb5
No they wont

Jere
Rating
No. Most insurance companies when quoting ask for accidents or penalties on licence. If you dont give the correct information to the company and then you have an accident, they do not have to pay out as you are in breach of contract. Legally they dont have to fulfill theirs to you. (ie pay out)

holiday1
If you give incorrect information they have a reason NOT TO PAY. In essence you are not only being misleading , you could also be accused of fraud. (Taking/paying a lower premium you are not entitled to).
An insured company may already be able to electrically find out if you have a clean licence or not, so be careful. Sorry if this all sounds a bit glum. It would be best to own up in the first place - pay any extra and be secure in the future.

SiD
Rating
No, not declaring something that may materially affect an insurance policy is fraud. The insurance company would have no duty to pay out on a fraudulently obtained policy and may also have a case to prosecute you depending on the severity of the fraud.

So you might be able to get away with a single speeding offence that you 'forgot' to declare as this may not have affected the policy anyway, but 11 points for dangerous driving or a previous drunk driving conviction might have meant that they wouldn't have insured you at all and that might lead to you being prosecuted and they certainly wouldn't pay out.

Matt M
Rating
They probably wont pay out. Basically, they will have the right to void your insurance cover (and keep all your money) and possibly even prosecute you for fraud.

Considering it's not in their interest to pay out on claims they will do everything they can to avoid paying.

You're also technically breaking the law, since you must have a VALID insurance policy covering the driver and the car in the case of a collision. Undeclared points invalidates your insurance and therefore can be deemed fraudulent.

You should call your broker straight away and inform them of any changes to the conditions of your insurance.

Rating
you have to inform your insurance company of any changes to your licence if you have points on your licence your insurance policy would go up, so basicly if you havnt informed them then no they wont pay out,

ihaveasexyhusband
Rating
Actually it can because in your fine print they do tell you that you have to inform them of any changes and if you put in a claim and they find out, they can and sometimes do say that you withheld information and therefore the insurance is no longer valid.

I know it's silly but in this day and age, many more people will be making claims whereas before they wouldn't have so the insurance companies are now being more thorough during their investigation and refusing payment where possible.

My mate gained a couple of points on his licence and failed to inform them despite being told to by his wife to and sure enough, when he had to make a claim they discovered his points and withdrew the insurance. So not only did he have to pay for the repairs to both cars but he was also done for driving with no insurance by the Police Officer who was investigating the incident.

Some companies don't want to know but call them and let them know, then if they do want to know you've informed them and if they don't want to know, you've lost nothing.

OriginalBubble
Rating
This happened to me. My insurance company at first said that they wouldnt pay out as it states in the policy that you have to notify them of any changes.
After much discussion they said they would pay out if I paid them the amount that my insurance would have gone up had I told them about the points.

WelshLad
Your insurance is invalid.

scuppo
I would have thought your insurance was nil and void as you have given them false information.

Bardic
Part of your contract with them is that you advise them of this, so you have broken the contract and they are therefore entitled to consider your insurance void. Whether they do or not is up to them

TIMOTHY W
make use of the SE like google or yahoo to get some ideas first if you want to get the massive information,however if you do not want to spend so much time,here http://www.insuranceidea.info/free-insurance.htm is a direct and good resource for your questions.

entidtil
Having points on a license has nothing to do with an insurance payout. If you have a policy and have not been canceled, you have coverage. Get too many points and the insurance may cancel you though

jojo
i dont think points on ur licence will efftect a pay out

paddy1
how far back can insurance companys go to see for convictions on your licence ie 3 or 5 years

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can you please tell me the web sight on which, by typing the vehicle regestration number I can find the addres
I need the web sight on which I can by typing the vehicle regestration , I can find out on which address the vehicle is regestered....

How old does a car have to be to be eligable for classic car insurance? i have a 1991 celica gti and wondered.

If you have a crash but have no tax is your insurance invalid?

What is the best approach to dealing with a speeding ticket?
I got a speeding ticket last week. It's so angering, b/c I'm always a careful driver and I was only 7 months away from having a crystal-clean perfect driving record, which would have ...

I'm paying out of pocket for hitting someone's car, but they are charging way too much, what can I do?
I don't want my rates to go up, so I'm paying out of pocket for a 2 inch scratch on someone else's rear bumper. It's a 2004 sable and the body shop says they have to paint the ...

Why do some emergency vehicles have the word AMBULANCE written in reversed on the front?

I passed my driving test 3 weeks ago. I now want to buy a car, what are the essential things I need to do?
I have saved ...

I have lost my insurance documents. how can i tax my car?

Can you legally drive without a driving licence?

Anyone know any good but cheep car insurance companies?

I'm 17 and have just passed my driving test.....?
my dad is 35 years old, holding full licence for 16 years up until now.
now, what i am not quite sure is should i get joined insurance with him or should i have my car insurance under his policy ...

Im 18 just passed my driving test would i be able to get insured on commercial insurance for a van?

If im driving with a dead body in the car will I be able to use the CARPOOL?

I've been driving legally for four years and have 30+ traffic tickets. Why am I suspended and not revoked?
I am 20 years old, and got my driver's license in the state of Oregon when I was 16. I now have 30+ traffic tickets and somewhere around $20,000 in traffic fines that are unpaid. The DMV website ...

What did you name your vehicle?

I pay for my sons car auto INS. He got a check from the INS for good grades He thinks it is his.Yes or no?

Need to find out what happens if someone is stopped for driving your car without license or insurance?
Need to find out what happens if someone is stopped for driving your car without license or insurance?
A friend of mine took my car keys and drove my car without my knowledge. They got pulled ...

Does vehicle liability insurance cover health costs?
I just got into a pretty bad accident and had to get 10 stitches on my face. I totalled my car and two others but I think they are okay. I was driving my father's van which had liability ...

What is the maximam penalty for driving in the UK without insurance?
Just wondering because if its less than what i've been quoted (£1400) it may be a good alternative....

Do you think that getting car insurance should be optional?
i think its pethetic that you are made to get car insurance what do you all think. also what do u think about the new toll tax law i thinks its discusting!!!
Additional Details
i neva ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, July 29, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links