Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If i hit a car in a car park can the other person make me pay for the damage?
Find answers to your legal question.

If i hit a car in a car park can the other person make me pay for the damage?

Citizen DeCat
You should pay, if it was your fault, be it personally or through your insurance company (depending on your level of cover).

It's the decent thing to do.

nickthesurfer
Errr ..... Yes! You could also get done for leaving the scene of an accident if you failed to stop and give your details to the other party ....... even with a static vehicle!

What makes you think you wouldn't have to pay for the damage?

JAYFIRE
Rating
If someone came into your house and smashed it up what would you do?

Pops
Rating
Of course. IF it was your fault. Good luck. Pops

?
Rating
Well yes, if they can catch you. I can't tell you how many times I have been hit in carparks, on the street I park on and various other places. My van is like a sculpture ... but at least no one wants to nick it!

Oh, it's illegal not to admit to causing damage if it was in a public place. Private land is different.

spidoing n
Rating
yes duh

hallam_blue
Yes: why would you think otherwise?

zgzig
Rating
There is usually no jurisdiction in a parking lot.. meaning the police can't enforce or make comment on the damage done.

But you did hit the car, .... Karma ... pay for what you did.

Tink
Rating
Of course, why wouldn't you pay for something you did, I bet you`d expect them to pay if they hit your car!!!

appallyon
Rating
you are liable for the damages depending on who is in the wrong.

lizziebeth
Erm, let's think again! YES...you caused the damage....you pay or were you one of these people who hoped nobody saw you and move quickly to another bay? A lot of car parks have cameras now and could therefore show you're at fault!

iain
Rating
Yes he can, if there was any damage. However be cautious
since some folk will take the opportunity to say that you did
some damage that was already there. Check it out.

Ian G
Rating
They cannot go through your insurance as a car park is private property and not a public highway, however they can file for a civil damages claim from you and make you pay yourself for the damage caused plus costs etc. check with you insurance that you have legal cover as you will need it

crazynamug1
Rating
yes of course because it is still their car and u hit it.

Cliff E
Rating
if they didnt see it ..... drive away fast !

cfcturner
Rating
Of course they can its criminal damage.

lre1979
Rating
depends on if they seen you do it

c.j.davies
Rating
Just go through the insurance

D.L.
yes, you would be at fault

louby loo
yes

Mr Sceptic
Rating
Yes, they might have to go to court to enforce it, but then you'll be hit with their costs and the court costs too.

If it was your fault, just pay up and stop looking for loopholes.

problematic
yes,if you left the scene the police would class this as a hit n run incident,so you can put the accident on your insurance and lose no claims or pay up without involving insurance

richard_dargan
yes, i don't believe you even asked this question, if i hit your car n the car park, who would you expect to pay?????????????

amyirmanmamansoaam
Rating
Yes

KEN YAD
Rating
yes he can, if you hit him, it's your fault. if you fail to pay or disclose insurance details, he can take you to a small claims court and sue you for damages.

?
Rating
Assuming that the car park is not subject to the road traffic act and therefor also not a public highway (most aren't) then your (and the other persons') insurance may not apply. They may have to resort to a claim through the courts. However, if you hit their car doesn't the moral obligation apply?

thekray
Rating
yes and no because your not on the public highway and on private land you don't have to claim on your insurance.so its not like on the highway just a motoring thing.but is could be classed as criminal damage to their property which you could be arrested for and made to pay and fined. or the other party could take you to a small claims court to recover damages.so do the right thing if its your fault and pay for what you've done you could end up a lot worse off.

LISA T
yes sure you do

TOG
Rating
I have been hit twice in a car park and not been left name & address...........Now I take the Reg number of the car in front and each side. also the make and colour, so it happens again my insurance .company gets all the owners numbers

tracey
YES !!!!!! but this person, parked in the middle of the car park behind me, and not in a parking bay. THIS is not a park stop....... THAT'S so people who park in a bay can get out.....

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was caught doing 40 on a 30, is there any way i can avoid points on my licence as i am a new driver?
i pay £120 on insurance already, extra cash on that will force me to stop driving till i am older....

What is cheaper for insurance a red car or a black car?

The camera flashed once on the front of my car, will it have caught me? Its been 13 days since this happened?

Your opinions on this car accident scenario please?
A car scrapes along the side of another car whilst overtaking on the left hand side, it fails to stop and drives on.
The scraped car follows the offending car in order to get reg plate details, ...

They're is a car parked outside my house, been there for 4 days, not moved what can i do?
i have only had my car a few weeks, and was enjoying parking it outside my house, where it is safe, but got home one night to find this car there, with all the rest of the street to spare, it hasn...

Name an expensive purchase other than a house or a car?
its not these i tried ---> boat-- wedding--vacation--insurance--condo--chi... eduction--hotel--...

I'm on my way to buy a car! If i do buy it, do I have to insure it straight away?
I'd hate to go home and insure the car only and then go back to pick it up. Can i just drive it home after i buy it and then insure it?...

Should old people be able to drive?
i need ...

Can you drive legally with no car insurance if?
you have full drive ...

Cheap car insurance 22yr old just passed test but have been banned for drink driving?
hi all i've been banned from driving and now i've passed my test i need cheap car insurance but everywhere i go is way to high for me. any advice please?
Additional Details
i�...

What is the full form of www?

What's a good first car for a teenager to drive?

If someone crashes into my car (whilst its parked) and fails to supply their insurance details were do I stand
Ok this is the weirdest scenario ever!
My car was parked outside my house (all declared on my insurance as parked on the road) and my neighbour crashed into it. They contacted a local dealer ...

What are the penalties for driving without insurance?

Do you still drink and drive?
I did years ago but not now....

Im picking up my new car today. Should i sort out the insurance when i get back or do i need to do it now so?
im covered for the journey home?...

What happens if I drive without being insured on my dads car?

My car was hit by a cow on a public highway - is the farmer liable for damage caused?

Who , like me is 23 or over and dosen't have his/her driving license ??

Car accident driver wont give me details .?
I had a car accident friday at the time the other driver addmited liability as he hit me up the rear he wanted to do it priveately and the quote came to £1000 when i rang him with this he denied ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, October 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links