Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If i roll back on someone at a stop light (on an incline) is that my fault or their fault?
Find answers to your legal question.

If i roll back on someone at a stop light (on an incline) is that my fault or their fault?

i was stopped at a stop light on an incline and some idiot pulled like a foot off my back bumper. so i pull up a foot or two, and what do they do? they pull up even closer! so i pull up one more time (they have to be able to see that im driving a manual transmission) and they get even CLOSER! now if i had rolled back on them, whose fault would that have been?
Additional Details
-i need a new clutch-

kablooie
Rating
I believe it would be your fault as you "backed" into them. I have never came accross a claim such as this, but usually when someone rearend you, they'are 99.9% always at fault, but when you're backing, you have the duty to ensure you are backing safely. Although you were'nt technically backing, you're vehicle did roll back into someone, even if they were close to you.

Jezebel
Obviously the person who was behind you is an idiot for not anticipating you rolling back since you were driving manual. If the idiot makes a claim thru your insurance, you can always tell them your version of the story so as not to assign 100% fault to you.

michr
Rating
police report?
contact insurance?
it very well could be considered following to closely
not necessarily your fault

Todd C
Rating
Legal liability miht change depending on the state but for a simple, who is at fault. I'd say about 90% yours and 10% theirs. They have a duty to maintain a safe distance. They clearly did not do this. But proving it would be another matter. If this were an actual claim, your insurance company might consider you 100% at fault but this would simply be an easy way to close the claim.

I mention states as if a contrubitory state it means if your 1% at fault you cannot collect from the other party.

I've handled a few claims like this and I've also had people on my butt when stopped. Bottom line, learn how to engauge the emergence brake and release it while your starting forward.

Maricel S
Unfortunately it would be your fault since you're the one who backed into them.

frank
your it

Fred C
Rating
You could argue they were at least partially at fault, but, if your clutch is worn, that goes straight out the window. Drive with faulty equipment, any accident that would have been avoided had the equipment not been faulty is your fault. Sorry.
You do realize the emergency brake can be used to virtually eliminate roll-back I presume?

david c
Its your fault.

gomanyes562
Rating
Whoever was moving at the moment the collision occurred is at fault. Whoever was stationary is not at fault.

Of course, proving this will be difficult.

keith d
Rating
It's your fault. BTW how would it be the other persons fault? For not moving out of the way?

UCANTCME
IT WOULD BE BY LAW YOUR FAULT BECAUSE YOU DID NOT HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR VEHICLE.

dodge man
Rating
your fault always,your suppose to know how to hold a car on a hill,it will always be considered your fault in a case like this,good luck.

♥ Uwish ♥
Rating
Why on earth would it be the other persons fault? You rolled backwards into their stopped vehicle? And unless you had a neon sign above your car that said "Manual transmission" how were they supposed to know your car MIGHT roll back?
What a moron.

mictamcody2000
Rating
Your fault

Just Wondering
What the hell do ya think.

"following too closely" - It's not their fault you don't know how to drive.

bob
why on earth doesn't anyone understand you have to be a car length behind the car in front of you? If it is a manual car there will always be a tiny bit of roll back. I'd say their fault depending on how far you let the damn car roll.

manual car driver
Those of you commenting that this guy doesn't know how to drive - you obviously don't drive manual. Bob is right - there can always be a tiny bit of roll back. Additionally, I can control my car on an incline without an e-brake, and I have seen numerous cars approach me from behind and when they seem like they're going to stop a bit close, I let myself roll back a bit to warn them that I'm in a manual car. Half of the time, I see the idiot behind me looking down at something or not paying attention to what is in front of them. They should be held liable for their ignorance, and they should be the ones going back to driving school.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Can I drive home the newly purchased used car with NO tax?
Hi,
I bought a car that has MOT but no tax and it's declared SORN.
I took insurance a while ago and asked the agent to email it to my email ID so that I can take a printout of it.

If a vehicle is my husband's, but in my name, am I liable if he wrecks?
We bought the pick up after we married, but due to his bad credit, the bank would not put it in his name, only mine. We are seperated, but not divorced, and he is drinking a lot. If he wrecks and ...

How much is insurance for a single male under 25 on a DODGE CHARGER?
??...

No Driving license?
who do i contact in the uk to report someone without a driving license or insurance?
Additional Details
For those who have asked its to do the right thing and report a waster alcoholic ...

What happens if you don't get car insurance?
I wrote a similar question and got jack-*** answers, if you feel the need to do that, don't answer at all....

Does having an out of date MOT invalidate insurance when making a claim?
I had an accident in my car in January and wrote it off, I am in the middle of claiming through my insurance company and have got to the stage where i have to send off all my documents. Ive just ...

What are the risk of putting a car in my name for some one else?
The car will be payed off, but i was wondering how it will affect my credit, insurance on my own car, ect. And if he gets a ticket will i be affected? What if drugs or something is found in the car?...

Does AAA cover deer accidents?

Car stolen off drive while back turned. Engine running. What should I say to the insurance co?
I know that I'm struggling because I left the car unattended with the engine running (and I told the police as much) which will probably invalidate the insurance but I want to give myself as ...

Why should I pay my car insurance this month?
My car is not on the road at the moment. I would have to pay a whopping amount to end the contract, which I don't have. I am skint and unemployed, so why should I continue to pay if I am not ...

Can i buy a car and buy insurance when i only have provisional licence?

Can a employer insist that their employees have a drivers license and auto insurance?

Does a uk provisional driving license work as proof of id?
Now ive always been told i look old for my age, im 16, and have got into 18s at the cinema before. so it was to my shock that an idiot in sainsburys wouldnt sell me a scratch card without id today. I ...

Will i get a driving ban?
i got pulled may this year for speeding, the police sed i was doing 60 mph in a 30mph zone however i dont believe i was goin that fast. i have now recieved a letter saying i have to go to court i ...

My car got totalled in an accident, insurance company wants to buy it. How much will they pay me?
I have a 1993 Nissan NX which was in a decent condition and never gave me any problems. Recently it got rear-ended. The other party's insurance took the responsibility and asked me to get an ...

My girlfriend crashed her car again!?
My girlfriend recently crashed into an ambulance with her car due to ice on the road. The car is not registered to either of us yet as we had just purchased short while ago. Most of the damage was ...

Could anyone tell me where i can get cheap insurance as im 17 an just passed my test?

If my 16 year old gets hit by someone in a car accident...?
and he doent have a license whos fault is it?...

Totaled car, pawned title, no insurance?
Okay. My title has been pawned for a few months now. My car has been giving me major troubles since April, so I stopped driving it, and canceled my insurance and all (BAD choice!!). Anyways......

If I have an accident and they say I caused it and now my car is totaled, does my Insurance have to pay for my
replacement value and also I was hurt in the accident does my Insurance pay for this also. I know my isurance will pay for her car and injuries..what about mine?? Thanks......

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links