Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If my husband owns our car and he dies will it automatically go to me? We still owe $ on it?
Find answers to your legal question.

If my husband owns our car and he dies will it automatically go to me? We still owe $ on it?

St♥rmy Skye
Rating
Yes, it will be yours, but if not paid off, you will still owe $ on it.

roady42
Rating
Did you get CREDIT LIFE insurance on him?

If yes, the car may be paid off in the event of his death. Sometimes this insurance pays if you are disabled and not able to work.

Had it on a loan long ago and it paid our payments for a year while my back was messed up.

oklatom
The normal first statement of a will is "All assets go to my wife if she is still living at the time of my death" so unless he has modified that to "And my car goes to Nephew George Smith, who asked me for it several times" it becomes yours. The next statement will be "I direct all legitimate debts, public and private be paid from the assets of the estate" which means you will have the pleasure of paying for it even if George gets it.

RB
it will NOT automatically go to you.
even if it is willed to you, it will still change hands to "the estate of..." until the will is executed.

as to whether you owe money or it or not will depend on whether you got life insurance on the loan.

Snickle Beast
Yup. The debt becomes yours usually.

Doug H
Rating
Only if he has Credit Life insurance on the car.

mj
well, you'd have to make the payments of it would go back to the bank.

Angie
Rating
Does your husband have a will? Thats the deciding factor. Is there a death benefit on the car loan? This would be something you should discuss with the loan company. When I worked for the repo man, we took many cars from wives who thought the car would be theirs. Call the loan company to verify.

eddie_baller
damn, why are you thinking about your husband's death???

timo_10
Rating
Should we watch for your story on Forensic Files?

Isabella T
Rating
Oh God! What a question.

Country Boy
If he purchased it with a tiny insurance policy at the time of purchase with the lending institution it's yours scott free!

angel
Rating
You will get stuck with the payments, yes. However, there is insurance that you can purchase normally at the dealership that will protect you from this. These are some of the ones available, but not offered in all states:

Credit Life and Disability Insurance will help you manage financial obligations in the event of illness, disability or death. This insurance is low cost, available with most of our loan products and best of all will give you peace of mind.

Funeral benefits coverage is sometimes a part of your auto insurance policy's Personal Injury Protection or First Party Benefits plans. If a covered individual dies from accident-related injuries, this auto insurance coverage pays for a portion of funeral expenses, regardless of who is at fault in an accident.

Covered costs are subject to the limits you choose when you buy your auto insurance policy.

Indiana
If your in his will not only will the car be yours but, so will the bill.

Fantasy
Rating
Nope, if no disability insurance was taken out on the car, his estate will become responsible for payments, otherwise, you can still pay on it and keep......but you're still not considered the owner legally, and the bank can repo if not paid.

DJ Unknown
Yes it will go automatically to you and if you have payments or something like that, then you would still need to pay it off.

mrs.new_major_07
Rating
It would go to you and you would have to pay on it. That is why you need to get life insurance. However much debt that you have, that is how much you should have in life insurance.

biggimpin
Rating
You want that car real bad huh?

lovepets
Rating
sure

DB
Rating
If I say yes are you going to kill him?

I have 32 characters 2 work with
Rating
It goes to whoever is in his will, and they still owe money

anna_lynn711
Rating
it should go to you, however, when i bought a car in january, i was only going to put my name on the title, but the car dealer said that if i were to die and my hubby wasn't on the title as well, it would have to go to probate court and it could take months before he got it. i would make sure that it's in the will!

Maegan G
Rating
You can sell it or something if he dies, but unless he has something about it in his will, it will go to you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What will the court do to me?
Yesterday, I got pulled over for nothing. But the cop said that I passed a stop sign. More so, I didnt have license or insurance. If I get my license and insurance before the court date, what will ...

Does car insurance rate depend on a car's make and model?
I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 1999 toyota camry or a 2003 honda accord and i'd like to know if it makes a difference on the rate depending on year. I also recently got into a car ...

Paying more insurance for a red car?
Is it true you pay more insurance if your car is red as oppose to any other color....

Can i drive to the mot with no tax,mot or insurance?

Someone crashed into my parked car. What now?
Someone hit another car which then caused the second car to go into my parked car. I witnessed it all as I had just crossed the street.

What happens now? I have never been involved in any ...

Can i have passengers in the back of my car while im learning to drive?

Speeding in a 60mph area...?
If one got caught doing 100mph in a 60mph area and was stopped for dangerous driving (late for work one day, 1st ever offence in 13years, have no claims on insurance). Told could be 10 points or, at ...

What will happen if I did not appear in court when I'm prosecuted?

Whats the shortest amount of time you can get car insurance for?
Ive got a provisional license and i want to get insured on my mums car so i can do some practicing.

One of my friends told me that she got insured on her mums car for a month.
Im not ...

What is likely to happen to me if i drive without a license?
my test is in 3 weeks?(UK)...

Do i need insurance to drive my car to a mot?

Can you purchace a car without having a driving license ??

If a tree falls (due to wind) and lands on your car?
and its not your property... who pays for that repair??...

Stolen????
What have you stolen in the past, lol?...

Whose fault? Cars coming in opposite directions make turns onto same st, one hits other in left most lane.?
They turn onto a street with two lanes but the car turning right does not turn into the right most lane but instead turns into the left most lane. Meanwhile the car turning left form the opposite ...

I am an international student in california and i am caught driving without license and insur and car not mine
i have only learning permit but i was not carying that with me and the car is also not mine and it has been only 4 months me in US and i have a court hearing next month ...plz help me with your ...

Is my insurance company abit harsh?
I just got my new car insurance cover and fortunately I had a bump in my car a month later. I bought the policy online and could'nt see the part that say is you car modified. My car is ...

Can someone initially claim off my car insurance following an accident if I don't accept liability?
Involved in an accident whereby pulled off from opposite side of road into single line of queueing traffic at a roundabout. The gap I was going to go into the other driver decided did not want to let ...

Car accident - car hit from behind. driver that hit me blames me?
I was traveling down a road and was slowing down to turn into a turning lane and another car hit my car from behind. He has told his insurance company that i cut him off when i didnt. What happends ...

I accidentally ran over my laptop after leaning it against the car. Is this covered by auto insurance?
I leaned the laptop bag against the car as I was struggling to get my daughter into her car-seat and forgot about it as I backed out of my driveway. I am wondering if, since it was an accident ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, October 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links