Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If you are married, do you have to cover your spouse on your car insurance?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you are married, do you have to cover your spouse on your car insurance?

My husband is covered as a driver under his company and drives his company truck everywhere. He NEVER drives my car, but the insurance company says he has to be listed because he's my spouse. Is this true? I have a perfect driving record, but my husband not so hot, so our policy is ridiculously high.

Laci N
Rating
For auto insurance the quick way to get a free quote is do a auto policy comparison. If you choose the same coverage amounts, you can get an fast quote to compare against others. Use the same coverage area, auto make/model, mileage and driving history to make sure you get an apples to apples comparison. To get fast auto quotes, go to http://www.autoadviceonline.com/Auto-Insurance-Quote.html and you can compare the major auto insurance companies.

xfilefan17
You can have them put an exclusion on him for your policy. That way he isn't covered by the policy and you don't have to pay for him.

Kristiane-Cubical ninja
They have a form you can sign that states he will NEVER drive your vehicle. Understand though you are totally liable if he does.
Personally, we are on each others just in case.

Scott H
Rating
Yes. Otherwise you may be able to exclude him, but he can never drive the car because he won't be insured.

Bryce K
This varies from state to state. In CA you do not have to have to carry coverage on him (as a driver for your car), but if he gets in an accident, he will not be covered and you will be personally liable for any damage.
This might,however, be an issue if he does not have his own car, and the only vehicle in the household is yours. The company he works for or any company truck is not relevent to your personal insurance issue. That is that company's liability issue.
I would suggest getting an old car for him, and listing him as the primary driver on that vehicle. Run that idea by your insurance agent.

Scuba Steve JW
If you live with him and he has a driver's license and IF the insurance company says so, then the answer is yes.

It is possible that the laws, regulations or insurance company rules may vary from state to state and from one insurance company to another.

timothy p
Rating
insurance usually requires all licensed drivers in a household to be listed as potential drivers.

George A
Rating
All licensed drivers that live in the same household is required by law (in most states) to be listed on the auto insurance policy for the household- BUT!

You should be able to include him as an EXCLUDED driver on your policy. That is telling your insurance that he is NOT authorized to drive ANY vehicle, for any reason, that is insured under your policy & will not drive any vehicles you have insured for any reason..

That law may vary from state to state, but I believe that most states do have that option available to the policy holders. And hopefully, it will reduce your premiums some if you can add him as an excluded driver.

RedSeal
Rating
Yes its true , it under the assumption that anybody living in the household with a drivers license can and will one day drive your car, they are only trying to protect you, and it doesn't affect your premiums, so there's no harm..............Red

mbrcatz
Commercial insurance doesn't work that way.

On a commercial policy, if he doesn't have a special coverage called "drive other car" coverage (which is NOT automatic, and NOT built in, and NOT available with all companies), HE is not covered. If he rents a car or borrows a car, he is not covered.

Yes, on a personal auto policy, your spouse must either be a listed driver, OR, completely excluded from coverage. Most insurance companies won't agree to exclude a spouse, as in my experience, the spouses still drive the cars. Especially the men. They don't want their wives driving them, it's a macho thing.

XcelR8_2_Greatness!
Rating
Yes it is wise to do so. Something may come up and he may need your car for something. Since you are legally married to him, you have to cover him under your insurance, but you can list him as a part time driver and how many miles he drives your car. And you can explain to them that he drives his company vehicle. Sorry his history makes your insurance go up. Hopefully in time he will accumulate a good driving record and your insurance will go down.

melfred_20
if your husband was driving your car and got into a accident you would not be covered. Thats all it means.

thisiscrazy70605
the only time your spouse does not need to be covered on your insurance is when your spouse does not know how to drive.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do I need a new drivers licence?
I have an automatic drivers licence and want to learn manual. Do I need to get another provisional licence or can I use my full automatic one?...

I was in an accident, need help.?
The other's person insurance has already took blame and I was wondering how to go about cost and amounts? Like for pain and suffering? Medical bills? And I'm going to lose my part time job ...

Personalized auto tag?
Please help me, think of a spelling. I am getting a personalize car tag with Always late. I spelled it different ways but alot of them are taken. Here are some I've tried, ALWYZL8 , ALWSLA8,AWYSL...

My Wife died in a car wreck coming home from church?
It was totally her fault. I am really afraid the insurance will not pay for the new car and funeral costs. How do I find out?...

Just turned 18 and already have my 3rd ticket!!What should i do?!?
I just received my 3rd speeding ticket and don't want my parents to find out about it...my last ticket i hired an attorney on my own to get it off my record and they never found out. I dont have ...

I broke my arm in a car accident in Los Ageles. How much compensation I get and how soon if I sue?

I can't remember when my MOT is due for my car, how can I find out as I cant find my old MOT certificate?

Do I have to accept my car back from the insurance company even though it isn't right?
My car was involved in a low speed crash over a month ago and it has just come back. When it happened I could see the chassis was twisted, the pedals and steering column pushed back, the drivers door ...

Is it suicidal to make a car insurance claim if you were driving whilst uninsured?
Firstly I live in the UK. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I was hit from behind by a motorbike the other day as I was turning right off a main road. He kind of admitted liability as he ...

Is the driving age going up to age 18 next year in the U.K?
My birthday is at the end of december and i will be 17 will i be able to drive?...

Do I need to have my driving license to insure a car?
I've just passed my test and in their wisdom the dvla have sent it to my old address,
It will take 10 days for an investigation so they can find out why they ignored the change of address ...

How much does it cost for a MOT test for a car please?

I'm nervous about my driving test!?
Im taking my driving test two weeks from now and i dont feel like im ready! I told my mom not to make an appointment but she did it anyways. Im scared i might fail though because i havent gotten much ...

WA I was hit and it was not my fault. I don't have insurance, can I still get their insurance company to pay.?
Will their insurance company contact DOL? Thanks, L...

Are car designers a big cause of high insurance prices?
In the name of style, many cars today don't even have bumpers - just painted bodywork, often made of plastic that easily cracks.

The slightest knock often needs a respray and maybe ...

Can I drive my moms's (insured) car without me being on the policy.?
I do not have any insurance either....

Dented My Car. Kinda Lied about it all. Insurance Examiner..what will happen now?
Okay so parked my car in an overflow car park, when i was going into it there are these barriers. I stupidly hit one of them and gained a nice big dent on the side of my car. Since it was a new car i ...

If my car is stolen and in an accident, can a claim be made on my insurance?
Can victims of an accident caused by my car claim against my insurance even if the car had been stolen from me?
Additional Details
Just wanted to add that this is a hypothetical ...

If I have an accident in my car that costs less to repair than my excess do I have to pay the full amount?
I had an accident in my car and drove into the back of someone, my insurance excess is £900 but as the damage is minor and the cars are still drivable the repairs won't cost that much will I ...

My doctor wants £150 to fill in my medicall form ( for pcv licence ),is the amount he is asking is right?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links