Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

If you have Fully Comprehensive car insurance, can you drive any car?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you have Fully Comprehensive car insurance, can you drive any car?

If you are fully comp, does that mean you are allowed to drive anyone's car? If so, could I get insured on a crap car for cheap at fully comp and then drive my parents BMW and still be covered if I crashed it?

brian_music_football
Read the small print on your insurance policy. It will only be covered "3rd party only" IF it allows you to drive any other car.

stacie_yst
Rating
It depends on your policy and if the car that you are driving is insured. I'm not sure but i think you are only covered for third party if it isnt your car.

lou
most fully comprehensive car insurance will cover you for third party only on another car and that must also be insured.it must state on your policy though that you can drive another car as not all insurance companies do it,so before you take a policy out ask them first if you can drive another vehicle.you may be better off going as a name driver on your parents policy as then if you do damage their car it will be covered fully comp and not just third party.

ElectronProbabilityCloud
Rating
Not necessarily, depends on your policy.

guernsey_donkey2
Rating
When you have fully comprehensive insurance on your car, you normally get third party insurance on most other vehicles you drive.

This means, when you smash your parents car, whatever you hit is covered by insurance but you, and Dad's car, aren't.

MIKE C
Rating
Only if it stats on your policy, and if the you have permission of course from the owner, it does not cover if the other car is on finance. You are only insured third party though, so I would not recommend it smashing it up.

big mama
Rating
If you are fully comprehensive you are only insured third party for driving any other car. That means if you cause an accident your insurance company will only pay for damage to any other vehicle but not your vehicle.

la428282
Rating
um, no. Nice try. You get insurance for a specific car.. and you will have comprehensive coverage on that car only. (btw... comprehensive coverage doesnt even cover accidents... comprehesive covers things such as fires/thefts/vandalism/damage from storms.) yikes.. you got some learning to do! may wanna contact an agent and have them explain car insurance!

Kanst
Rating
generally you would only be covered third party insurance whilst driving their car, the comprehensive part of your insurance would only be valid for the car that is insured. But you can drive any car - wish their permission.

fred405
Not necessarily

Fully comp does not automatically entitle you to drive other cars

So in answer to the second part of your question no to that as well

WelshLad
Rating
Check your policy and certificate of insurance. I am full comp and I cannot drive another car, it says on the certificate on the bottom - I'm 24

The Fat Controller
yes and no. yes you can drive any car but only with 3rd party cover so you will not be covered for theft or damage to your parents car, unless you ask for a specific policy to allow you to be covered for this

allen555
Rating
If you check the terms of your policy you will find that you are insured fully comp. on the vehicle you own but only third party basic on any other vehicle you drive. It is important to read the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. Good luck.

Kat G
Rating
No, Comprehensive means the car that is insured for fire, and theft coverage less the deductible. This has nothing to do with you being covered to drive any other car.

tony m
Hello,
it sounds to good to be true doesn't it, and it is! with your fully comprehensive insurance policy, you will get only third party cover for most other cars, NOT ALL CARS, they don't want you charging around all over the place in a Ferrari or a Lambourghini, or even your parents Beamer do they, so be careful, you could end up in an aweful financial mess. ALWAYS inform your insurance company, and remember they tell you that you may drive anoher car with the owners consent, so make sure the other cars owner has fully comprehensive insurance too. I hope this helps you out...............Tony M

CowboyBill
NO. Insurance follows the CAR, not the driver. The only way your policy would extend to your parents Bimmer would be if it had no coverage at all. Then your policy would take effect -- providing your company didn't discover you were a regular driver of said car and comitted fraud with your little game. Then that 2007 Benz you just slammed into and injuried three passengers would NOT be covered at all.
P.S. -- comprehensive coverage (in the U.S.) is just a small segment of an insurance policy and only covers theft, fire, flood, etc.

Gambit
Rating
First off I don't think your parents would appreciate you smashing up their vehicle. Secondly if you were to smash up their vehicle and you were at fault for the accident, then their policy would pay for the damages to their vehicle (assuming they have Collision coverage) and their rates would increase. The collision coverage on your policy cannot be used to pay for the damage you cause to another vehicle you are borrowing.

Nick K
Rating
I live in Texas and my car is under my dads name and they still linked my policy price to the most expensive car being mine and not my moms honda accord(the cheapest) which im fully covered to drive. So to be fully covered on your parents bmw they would probably link your coverage cost to that car and your parents would get the lower price on the junker you just bought

oklatom
Yes, providing there is insurance on your parent's BMW and you are driving with permission, THEIR insurance will cover it, not yours. Insurance goes with the car, not the driver.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do you need to make an appointment to take a written test at the DMV?

If i have points on my licence and insurance company dont know, and have a crash will they pay out?

Additional Details
its 5 points for speeding last april. crash was 2 weeks ago and total write off no other drivers involved. slid on black ice and hit a wall....

Does anybody know what I should do with old NYS license plates I found in my garage?
The plates are mine from an old car that I no longer have. It has been gone for about 10 uyears. Should I just throw the plates away, or should I return them to Motor Vehicle? Will I get in trouble ...

How many hours are you allowed to drive a car in a day?
Without a Rest?...

Do I need insurance to learn to drive with my mother?
As above.
Additional Details
I'm in the Uk, I have a provisional licence.
She is fully comp....

He's taking my car! What should I do?
I bought a car with my EX boyfriend and we put both of our names on the registration because I haven't had my license long enough so insurance would be high for me and he wanted to help me out ...

Issues with having no car insurance?
Briefly, a friend had a minor accident which wasn't their fault, they don't have any insurance and were hoping to avoid going through insurance but the other person have contacted their ...

Do you get points on your license if ur caught driving JUST without tax/mot so long as cars legal otherwise?
like if it's insured, in good roadworthy condition, you have the appropiate license to drive at and it's JUST the mot or JUST the tax u aint got on it. I know you get a fine but wondering ...

Does anyone know of any really cheap car insurance companies in the u.k?
Preferably ones that dont want a lot of money up ...

Do u have to have insurance if you are being taught by a parent?
My mum was going to take me out for a practice before i have my first driving lesson tomorrow and have got my provisional and i was wondering if I have to be put on to her insurance in order to drive ...

How can points be legally removed from a driving licence?

Can you drive a car if it has no MOT in the UK?
What if the driver has full 3rd party insurance?Are the passengers covered in an accident? Is the driver covered? What if there is full road tax, insurance and everything else?...

Can you please tell me the web sight on which, by typing the vehicle regestration number I can find the addres
I need the web sight on which I can by typing the vehicle regestration , I can find out on which address the vehicle is regestered....

How old does a car have to be to be eligable for classic car insurance? i have a 1991 celica gti and wondered.

If you have a crash but have no tax is your insurance invalid?

What is the best approach to dealing with a speeding ticket?
I got a speeding ticket last week. It's so angering, b/c I'm always a careful driver and I was only 7 months away from having a crystal-clean perfect driving record, which would have ...

I'm paying out of pocket for hitting someone's car, but they are charging way too much, what can I do?
I don't want my rates to go up, so I'm paying out of pocket for a 2 inch scratch on someone else's rear bumper. It's a 2004 sable and the body shop says they have to paint the ...

Why do some emergency vehicles have the word AMBULANCE written in reversed on the front?

I passed my driving test 3 weeks ago. I now want to buy a car, what are the essential things I need to do?
I have saved ...

I have lost my insurance documents. how can i tax my car?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links