Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Is a car that I previously owed still mine if the buyer didn't change the title information?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is a car that I previously owed still mine if the buyer didn't change the title information?

Just recently got a renewal form for a car that i got rid of a LONG time ago...it's still in my name. Does this mean i can still legally get it back? There aren't even proffs of it being bought from me. PLEASE HELP!


the bad seed
if you were paid for it ..it is no longer your car

Fred C
If the person paid you for the car, and has a bill of sale, no you cannot get it back. A surprising number of people buy vehicles and do not establish legal ownership because they aren't driving it yet, but a bill of sale shows they bought it. What renewal did you get? Insurance? Cancel it. Registration? Cancel it.

to my knowledge if the other party signed the title along with your signature as you being the seller no you cant get it back since you signed a legal document bearing witness to your sale with your signature. pretty hard to beat in a court of law however your state migh have a time limit (statue) concerning the amount of time somebody has to transfer that title.
call your motor vechicle agancy and ask.

No, but it does mean, if that person gets in a wreck, you'll be sued as the registered owner of record. Anything bad that can happen, you will be charged and held responsible. When you sold the car, you should have filed a Seller's Report, this would save you from litigation. By just saying there is no proof of sale, doesn't hold up in court. You cannot legally get it back, why not be responsible and hold up your end of the deal, if you don't,lawsuits could be served on you at any time, wages can be garnished for not paying fines, fees, or liens for this vehicle. You'll spend more time trying to prove you did sell it, if any of these come your way. And it can happen, you are still by law, the registered owner. Oh another thing, what happens if this car is involved in a robbery, and they ditch it somewhere, guess who'll need to explain where they were, and prove you had nothing to do with it. You better start protecting yourself, apparently the buyer doesn't care if they can purchase tabs or not, they will drive without them. And the car, impounded, who gets to pay the costs, you.

Pedro S
no the title is what makes ownership...registration is nothing...if its still registered in your name look out...you could be sued in an accident

Meria S
If the buyer didn't do a title transfer it is still legally yours in most states. All the responsibilities too. Go to this web site and then your state for information on registration and titling.


I Think so if he never changed the title over that depends on your states laws I'd ask a lawyer he'd know more then I would

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 If i send my provisional licence off to the dvla to change my address can i still drive?

 Can a cop impound my parked car because it has an expired insurance card (but it is fully insured)?
The car was parked in an assigned lot where I live on a college campus. It was legally parked. My car was vandalized and therefore a cop was called. Apparently my insurance card was 7 days expired, ...

 How much will my insurance increase after I got a DUI?
I'm an 19 y/o male. I already know I made a bunch of big mistakes in my life, I just want to know how much this portion will cost.
Additional Details
yes, got a ticket for minor ...

 Ihave heard people talking about progressive insurance firm?
i am trying to insure my sons morocrosser bike, do you have an email address or anything for this progressive insurance firm ?...

 Traffic accident?
I bought a new car 2 weeks ago and i had full insurance. After 2 weeks later somebody hit my car. she was at fault and i have 14k damage and lady said to cops that she insured from progressive but ...

 Can i apply for a provisional licence 3 months before i am 16 in the u.k?
can i apply for a provisional licence 3 months before i am 16 in the u....

 Repossessing car I made payments on and ex girlfriend has?
I bought a car with a girl friend a few years ago it's about paid off I made all but one of the payments. Both our names are on the title and loan, I do have the title she has the car. I have ...

 What do I do with my old license plate?
I received a new one in the mail and now do not know what I should do with my old one. I don't want to throw it out because then someone can take it and use it (in not so honorable ways). Are ...

 Have you ever met a remotely nice person working at the DMV?

 How to retry for cdl - A, after failing drug test?
What if any steps can be taking to retry for a CDL - A if the pre-enrollment drug test came back positive? It's been 1 1/2 years since going to truck driver school. I called them to ask when ...

 Should I write letters of apology after a car wreck?
I had a car wreck recently which was my fault. I was issued a ticket and it's pretty much black and white that I am liable. The lady I hit was a little hurt, her airbag deployed and she had a ...

 How can I get dents out of my car?
Isn't there a device to buy that pulls them out? How much is it and where can I buy it?


 My C drive has become full?
My C drive has become full! I have a External Hard drive but the tutorials from Windows does not explain how to change the C drive commands so that I can change all command i.e Boot up commands plus ...

 Do you have to pay...?
...to change the photo on your driving license? Because mine looks nothing like me!

Thankss :)
Additional Details
lol, I do drive carefully! But it's mainly for ID!...

 I was hit in a car accident. my insurance company refuses to help. what do i do?
i was in an accident, not my fault. my car is damaged and i had to go to a hospital. police got the other woman's info and said i should give my insurance the report number and they'd sort ...

 Insurance company offered me 300 dollar settlement is that not ridiculous?
a car ran a stop sign and hit me i have 9000 worth of car damage 1200.00 dollars worth of doctors bill and they have been paying for my rental car.. Insurance company offered me a check for 1500.00 ...

 If you have a car accident but don't loose your NCD because you paid for NCD-protection, is your NCD then ...
... normally transferrable in full to another insurer?
Presumably you still have to declair the accident - it's not as if it didn't happen?...

 What is a cheap auto insurance company?
Please be specific....

 Can I sell my Car?
What a bind I have gotten myself into. I was convicted of a DUI so I lost my job and I am unable to keep up with the bills therefore I lost my insurance. Without insurance my vehicle registration was ...

 What is the cheapest insurance if you have a DWI?
Transfering from Missouri where I have American Family. I am moving to Louisiana and American Family doesn't write there. I've only looked at progressive and they were pretty expensive, ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, February 12, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links