Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Is a parking lot accident 50/50?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is a parking lot accident 50/50?

i live in Ontario
Additional Details
both cars where driving and the car that i collided with jammed the brakes at the last second.so i ended up hitting the side panel. very minor damage to the rear passenger door you could almost take a hammer and replace it themselves. dammage on a 2000-2004 grand am.

eric
I think parking lot accidents are not 50/50 at fault unless both parties are at fault and there are no witnesses. Basically, if you hit a car that was backing out of a parking spot, it's their fault. If you hit a car that stopped, such as to wait for someone to back out of a spot or for people to cross in front of him, and you hit them in the rear, it's your fault. Or if the other driver was stopped in the fire lane and you attempted to drive around them and they started moving as you were, then I'll think that'll be their fault or 50/50.

SLAYER
You mean your word against his/hers? Sometimes....

la428282
No- that is a myth.

Parking lot accidents are investigated like every other accident for liability.

Why if someone rearended someone else in a parking lot would they magically not be at fault?

Same rules pertain in parking lots as everywhere else.

MIGHTY MINNIE
NO...call a cop and get an accident report for your insurance co. (whether you're at fault or not).

Bonanza
It depends. . .were both cars being driven at the time of the accident?

OkieRoadhunter
Not if one car was backing out of a spot when the other hit it. It's always the fault of the person backing out, no matter how fast the person who hit them was driving.
You will not get a police officer to investigate an accident in a parking lot unless there was an injury involved. Officers do not have the jurisdiction to write traffic citations, including for accidents, on private property.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How much is insurance for a 04 Cadillac cts in nyc?
I'm 24 with good license record...
and while I'm asking are they reliable with good maintenance past the 80k mile run?...

What should i expect to get for my totaled car from the insurance company?
my husband and i were in a very bad head on collision this sunday, not typing with a capital because my wrist is sprained and i'm typing with one hand. i was rushed off to the hospital and my ...

How do i get auto if i have bad credit ?

How do you get a club registered under the American Motorcycle Association?
trying to start one......

Can you give me info.on why and explain procedure for below?
My mom lives in Omaha Ne. and boght a 2007 Ford Taurus that was licensed in Iowa so she needs to do legal stuff before getting license ...

I was passenger in a car wreck where my driver was at fault, can i sue the driver's insurance?
I was passenger in a car wreck where my driver was at fault. So can i sue the driver's insurance? And can you tell me how that works? i'm from Philadelphia PA.Please get to me ASAP. T...

I hit someone with my car and we both don't have collision on our insurance do I have to pay him?
He did not file a police report and he says the damage comes up to $1000.00 I do not believe him because my car is barely scratched but would I still have to pay him? He didn't file a police ...

How much does your insurance go up after you have caused an accident?
I was in a car accident on Jan. 16th (yes, my fault!) and my car was totalled. I am buying a new car and need to know by about how much my insurance will go up. It was $270 a month (full coverage) ...

Expired Registration and Inspection in Texas?
I got pulled over the other for expired registration and inspection. I looked and says I owe them $321. Does this get waived or lowered when I show up to mu court date and have everything already ...

In the state of Virginia do you have to have car insurence befor you get your permit?
I have been trying to figure this out for a while can somebody help me I would appreciate it....

Is t better to get a licsence in ca, before ur 18 or its better to wait.?

HELP! I didnt have car insurance when I got a speeding ticket, I have questions, help!!!!?
Ok, so I got a speeding ticket on Saturday for 5 over, I havenít gotten a ticket in almost 5 years, my driving record is almost perfect, Iím 25 years old. So, I havenít been too sure about my car ...

I didnt have car insurance when I got a speeding ticket, I have questions, help!!!!?
Ok, so I got a speeding ticket on Saturday for 5 over, I havenít gotten a ticket in almost 5 years, my driving record is almost perfect, Iím 25 years old. So, I havenít been too sure about my car ...

Do the new standard (nonvanity) california license plates only have 6 slots?

Car totaled. Can I ask them to use only private party comps?
Thanks.
Additional Details
Appreciate the responses. The insurance adjusters have been professional and responsive to the documentation we sent.

The database they subscribe ...

New car license plate?
I bought a new car two days ago. The dealer said the DMV will mail me the registration. What about the physical license plate? Do they mail that to my house or do I have to go to the DMV to pick it. D...

If i dont have the title to my car but i want to take it to the junkyard, will they ask me for the car title?
I moved to a new place and since i wasnt in charge of the move (my boss was) i have a feeling the movers lost it. This happened in November. Now im in need of a new car since the one i have is a ...

Who would be at fault for this accident if there was an accident?
I had a close accident today. There were 4-5 cars stopped at a red light and I was turning right at the intersection ahead. There is a right turn lane with pavement markings on the road, but since it ...

I lost my Drivers License, help please!?
I am going to go in to get a new one probably tomorrow or sometime this week, but in the meantime can I print something out online or can I do ANYTHING online to print out verifying that I have a ...

How can I register my truck in Nevada and live in California?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links