Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Is car insurance denied if involved in accident while driving with a expired driver's license?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is car insurance denied if involved in accident while driving with a expired driver's license?

My wife just noticed her driver's license has expired. She has aready renewed it over the web but the new DL will only arrive in 15 to 20 days. As she needs to drive before the new DL arrives, what happens in case of an accident? Will or can the insurance company deny any claims based on the expired driver's license? We live in Houston, TX.

oklatom
Rating
Since she renewed over the web, the last step should have been a printable form that shows her renewal, which when carried with her license would cover it. Did she print that form?

Mr. Smartypants
if she has renewed it and paid the fee, then technically she does no longer have an expired license. however, she can be ticketed for not having her drivers license with her. almost the same as an insurance card. even though you are insured, you must carry the card with you at all times behind the wheel. as long as your insurance premium is paid to date and she is just simply waiting for the new license to arrive via usps, then they have no grounds to deny a claim. then again, if she is ticketed for not having a valid drivers license on her person at the time of an accident, she can be ticketed by the authorities and the insurance carrier can raise your rates because of that. good luck. my advice, don't drive without proper identification and insurance. protecting yourself for one, and everyone else around you.

curtisports2
Don't worry about it. It's the vehicle that's insured. You should have gotten a confirmation number after the online application was accepted. That will be helpful in proving to the police that she is licensed, should that be necessary, but insurance won't be a problem.

Marc
Rating
If she is stopped, the police would find out it has been renewed through the computer system. It should be no problem.

Queen B
Rating
She is covered...don't worry. Once she renewed with DMV online, it shows up online if the company runs her record for some reason.

Scott H
Rating
She is taking a huge chance. Yes, they can deny the claim. Yes, she can be cited for driving without a license. Where I live, that alone would get your car impounded for 30 days. It's not worth it. She should not drive until she has a valid license.

mbrcatz
As long as she's a listed operator on the policy, the actual license doesn't matter. The insurance company will cover it.

UCANTCME
I have seen this before and she will be covered but what I tell my customers is to print the renewal form that she filled out for her protection in the event that she should get stopped by the police.

john
I have full coverage and got in a car accident. When I went to get my insurance information I noticed my insurance had expired by about 3 weeks. My question, is there a state law in texas for a 30 day grace period?

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How can i find out a car owners identity, i have their license plate number?

I got in a car accident and I was not covered under my parent's insurance. What should i do?
I have not yet spoken with the other person's insurance company, nor have i admitted to being at fault. Should I just wait until the insurance company takes me to court like my mother says?
<...

Do you need a driver's license to buy a car?
I am in the process of getting my license, but in the mean time, I would like to buy a car with my tax return check. Can you legally buy a car without a license?...

I didn't pass my driving test today?
Please say something that will make me happy....

I am going to be getting my drivers license soon and Im 17.I mite get a BMW325i for my first car..thoughts?
What are your thoughts?I wanna get a black 325i Sedan possibly 06 model as my first car but I am not quite familiar with BMW...I also want to install 2 12" or 2 15" subwoofers with maybe 140...

Not a good night before Thanksgiving Who is going to be at fault for this?
Ok so here goes last night me and my friend were out and about with our two seperate cars going to pick up people to go out to Boston for the night. Unfortunately there was a incident. My friend and ...

Which car insurance should i go with?
i've been with mercury insurance for many years now. but since i've never had to file a claim, i don't know how good they are. i got two lower quotes from esurance and response ...

What is the basic amount to spend on a car, ex.. registering, plates, inspection, etc.........................

Additional Details
in new york ...

Does anyone know where I can find affordable auto insurance for a single parent of two?
I just purchased a 2006 Chevy cobalt four door and I need insurance that will work on a single parents income and I need it yesterday. Can someone help?...

Does anyone know if the state of TN have to get their cars inspected?

How can you find out your car's value if it is being totalled by the insurance company?
My 98 Mustang, was hit & totalled. The driver took off. I have full coverage ins. so it will be covered. I am out of a car & have no idea what value it has. I looked on KBB, but which value ...

Car Insurance?
I am just trying to get some quotes on maybe what my car insurance would be. I don't have the kind of car that I want yet but I was just trying to get an estimate and check and see what it would ...

Insurance let me pick a bodyshop, can I insist that they use original parts? can I ask insurance to total it?

I passed my test Monday can i drive?
i passed my test on monday and my examinar took my provisional to send in to get my full lisance am i aloud to drive although i haven't recived my full licance i have a test passed ...

How can I find out if a personalized license plate is available to me?

Auto insurance question?
i am 20 and will be driving a mitsubishi lancer, how much will my monthly insurance for full coverage be?...

Does my rate increase if I make a comprehensive claim?
While driving, my driver side door was damaged by an unidentified object. If I file a claim for this, will my rate increase?...

My son was driving my car and had an accident, he doesn't have a license.Will the insurance pay for it?

Additional Details
The police was involved on the accident and there was a report saying he does not have a license. If I tell the insurance company I did not know that he was driving, ...

I got my points on my driving licence 3 years ago,
back then the time to remove your points was 3 years but the rule was changed recently to 4 years, do I still apply to the old rules or do I have to wait for another year to get it off, anyone to ...

How to get around paying the over priced rate of car insurance for teenage drivers ?
Does anyone know of a reasonable insurance company for auto insurance ? We just added our teenage driver to our policy and it went up $400. She doesn't even have a car. I have a 2007 Dodge C...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, August 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links