Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Is it illegal to drive if you have left your license at home?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it illegal to drive if you have left your license at home?

I was watching something on TV which prompted this question... if you have a valid license and you leave it at home by mistake and have an accident are you in worse trouble if you don't have your license with you?

George A
Rating
Technically yes it is illegal. You must be able to produce your license upon request of any law enforcement official when asked.

But come on- it's the 21st century. Computers are everywhere & a lot of police dept's have in-car computers & can tell within seconds if you are a licensed driver or not & if your license is valid or not. Even if that dept doesn't have the in-car systems, dispatch will have one & can tell the officer within seconds if you do or don't have a license.

Then it is the officer's discretion to cite you, issue you a fix-it citation or do nothing at all & let you go with maybe nothing but a verbal reminder to have your license on you at all times when you are driving.

CB
Rating
Legally you are supposed to carry your license everytime you drive a vehicle. It may be your vehicle or a rental vehicle.

Even if you are not in accident and police just pulls over - he could site you for 'Driving Without a License' offense.

Im.about.a.dollar!!****.50.cent
yes it is illegal to drive without you license

tn_blu1
yes

angiea276
Rating
No, I've done this before and gotten stopped. What helped me was that I had my license number memorized. They can also give you a ticket for driving without a license, however, all you have to do is take a copy of your license to the courthouse and they will dismiss the ticket.

Static Drive
nothing is illegal... if u dont get cuaght lol

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Insurance costs when ban is over?
hello,iv been banned for 1 year for dangerous driving.iv been driving for 20 years and have only ever had 3 points before.my insurance cost £330 before the ban.has anyone any idea how much at a guess ...

Wreck without liability Insurance?
I was in a wreck last night, I have no liability insurance, I had the proof of Insurance that I gave to the officer, but he gave it back, I didnt get a ticket, what had happened was I was driving ...

What age do you have to be to get a drivers license in New Zealand?
My son wants to know as we may be moving there....

What vehicle did you go in for your year 12 formal?
Because my friends and i are still trying to figure it out, we have one in mind its the hummer stretch. but if its booked we want to know other vehicles :)...

What should I do with a new car that I totaled, with no insurance?
I totaled a car back in 06, I had it financed for 6 years (yea I know).

Problem is, when I totaled it, I let the insurance drop. I still owe a lot on it, my mom co-signed for me, so I ...

How much does your insurance go up after a DUI?
Also does old insurance let you back on or they kick you out? I think I was kicked off my dad's insurance... Is there a company I should look at that wouldn't be as expensive as others ...

What's the longest time you've driven without a license?
and not been pulled over?

days, months, or years?...

Do I Need Auto Insurance if I don't have a car?
Ok, well i just got my liscense [ i`m 16 ] ... i don't have a car, so do i need car insurance? i don't know if this is a dumb question, but people are telling me i need to be added to my ...

2 people reversing hit her car with the back of my car am i at fault?
I was reversing from a park and across the carpark another person was revering and my side rear end hit her side, whos at ...

What is the procedure for getting your temporary driving permit in Ohio ?
I can get mine now but don't know what to do....

Am I covered on my dad's insurance if I have my own?
My dad's ex-girlfriend is freaking out cause I am driving my dad's truck and she is saying his insurance doesn't cover me. My dad has a policy with her insurance. I have my own ...

How old do i have to be to start driving in Texas if i was born in 1995?
I heard the law changed in Texas, and that people who were born after 1993 December would have to wait till your 18 to get your license....

Car accident wt to do?
i don't have insurance and got hit by other car who have insureance, it is not my fault as he went pass red light and there is wittnesses in the car behind. So what can I do?
Additional D...

I have frozen my insurance on my old car?
now need tax for new car, do i have to wait for new cover note or is there any way of buying it without. policy number still the same....

Are Texas DPS offices open on memorial day?

DMV car registration?
California residents- My dad registered a car before I had my license. I have my license now, how much would it cost to get my name added to that car's registration?...

Accused of RTA but no contact?
On Wednesday I entered a mini roundabout as the only vehicle to the right was turning left. I was in slow moving traffic and established in the roundabout when a car flew out from my right looking to ...

How does car insurance work if you move a lot?
My friend and I are planning on becoming nomads of sorts; basically we'd be living mostly out of our van, camping, and in cheap motels... kind of like road tripping but not as a vacation, as a ...

What hair color do they put on a drivers license of a bald person?

I want to know if my car would be totaled?
I own a 2007 Honda civic SI. It was flooded in my garage a few days ago. the water came up to the bottom of my dash. Engine starts but sounds funny. I'm concerned that the warranty of the car is ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links