Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Late on renewing my tags-what is the penalty with the dmv?
Find answers to your legal question.

Late on renewing my tags-what is the penalty with the dmv?

the most bizzare thing happened today. on my way home from school, i was pulled over for expired tags, when i could have SWORN i got them renewed. i'm still at disbelief that i didn't. but the cop said he checked on the computer and i didnt. so i have a citation. i was supposed to get them before 5-12-08. does any one know what kind of late fee the dmv will probably stack on to get it renewed tomorrow? my only concern is i will end up spending hundreds of dollars on this...

Melody
HAHA. Nothing is gonna happen. You'll just pay for your tags as usual... plus whatever your citation is for. Just make sure you've corrected the problem before you go to court and they might even drop it for you or something.

James
I do this about every friggin year. They may hit you up for an extra 30 bucks, or they may not do anything, but be prepared to possibly pay a small fine.

Do NOT get pulled over before you make it there, it's about a $300 ticket....I have experience with this, trust me.

Chuck M
Usually about 10% of the tax amount.
But each state is different, just like the amount they charge you for a citation or ticket.

Emy
Rating
My mother had that happen;she was late two days.
It cost about 25$ extra and then the regular price for the tag.

disillusioned
Rating
Depends on the car, and its a daily rate. Mine was $15 a day and I drive a SUV. My husband's was $30 a day, he drives a double cab truck. Get those tags fixed asap.

pastrami00
If you are in Pa and you are 4 months overdue and pulled over, they will impound your car....this just happened to me 20 minutes ago. That is how I found your question.

Bandett
Rating
It wont be much, if anything.

Scott
No, it isn't that bad, but it probably varies with where you live.

I had that happen to me in California and it only cost me $10.

I don't know if you will have to do this, but the hardest part was that I had to find an officer to look at my car and have him confirm that I renewed it.

That was it for me.

bbbbbbb
what r u talking

Killer
Rating
Sorry dont know!

tlworkroom
Rating
Yeeeeoooooch!!!

Oh, yeah, maybe. May to November.....that's 6 months.

Usually they charge you a monthly fee for how long you're over.
So if it's a $50 penalty, then for 6 months, it'd be $300.
But that's just a usual thing.

Sometimes they might have special rates......so much for 30 days late., then so much for 2-4 months late, etc.

So you pay the late fee, and THEN still have to pay to register the car. Plus the traffic ticket, unless it was where you get off if you show you've registered it. But then, there's usually STILL court costs!!

It's not gonna be pretty.......

jareyn2002
You will not be charged late fees however, you will still have to pay the fine for the expired tags.

love-is-a-beautiful-thing
i don't think they'll charge you anything...

i'm pretty sure you just have to pay the citation the officer gave you

good luck!
hope you don't have to pay tons!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What car to get for a 17 year old?
Well, im nearly 17 and i will be getting my license soon. I personally want a good strong car like a 1998 skyline. Vauxhall calibra? Whats the insurance difference between a skyline and a corsa/punto ...

Whats the cheapest car insurance company for a 17 year old :s i can not find any reasonable qoutes.....?
also, are there any ways you can get around the insurance for example, go on dad's insurance... but i dont know all the "ins and outs" so general information will be appreciated!!! TYVM...

Hi all, does any 1 no where i can get multiple car insurance quotes instead of searching 1 by 1?
i would like 2 enter my details and have multiple companies offering insurance, instead of doing it 1 by 1 does any 1 no where i can search for multiple insurance quotes
thanx ...

Is driving hard!!!???

If someone hits your vehicle, can you get your car fixed anywhere you want?
My fiance had her brand new 4Runner hit by a co-worker in her work parking lot. No cops involved. I want the Toyota service center to fix it. Their estimate is higher then the preffered collision ...

Generally speaking if someone has a previous (recent) Drink Driving conviction?
Are they covered under another car owners 'any driver' insurance policy?...

Auto insurance. Do you think it is a rip-off?
I live in MI and auto insurance takes so much of my monthly income. I believe auto insurance should be a choice. Not mandatory....

I sold a car to a "friend" that won't pay...?
I know I'm stupid, so please hold back on letting me know that fact. Anyways, He lives about 800 miles away now and won't pay/return calls. I know where he works/lives, but what will I ...

Is this a reasonable offer?
hi was in a head on collasion, my car is of the road (rideoff) i am having terrible back nd next pain since the accident, his insurance company offered me £2800 but i have to pay my own med bills, ...

If a buy a car without tax, would I be able to buy insurance and then tax the same day?
Basically, I want to buy a car and it has no road tax. If I buy the car and get insurance the same day would I be able to buy road tax, surely insurance companies would e-mail you with the details ...

Are you responsible for paying an accident when someone else was driving your car without your knowledge?
I just received a letter from the dept of transportation regarding an accident a friend had in my car in Dec, 2006. At the time of the accident i was giving birth to my son and had no idea he had my ...

I just bought a car taxed until the end of September but it's Disabled Class tax. How do I change it...?
back please? I looked at the DVLA web site which said you can only change the taxation class on renewal.

Tried ringing by they're on strike!

Am I legal until the end of S...

How do i get my car registered in my name after buying the car from someone who was selling thier car?
the sticker expired in march 2007. i waited so long because the car broke down and i finally fixed it but now i want to drive it but the registration sticker is expired. i never put it in my name in ...

Why should my credit score have ANY bearing on my car insurace rates?
If I have no accidents and NO tickets in the past 15 years????...

Can i have a seperate insurance company from my parents?
i live in NY and just recently they (Allstate) sent a letter saying that they know that i have a permit and what not. the thing is that the reason y i can get a licence is b/c the poolicy is going to ...

I had no car insurance.....?
and my husband was in an accident.. His fault, he rear-ended her. We payed he deductible, and now her insurance company is trying to come after us for the damages. Can they do this? I thought ...

Driving test problem?
Hiya iv been told that you have to have a driving instructor to book a practical test, is that true?

Reason i ask is because i couldnt afford lessons and to pay for my insurance for my car ...

I was in an accident, i didnt have insurance,he plead guilty in court, now he wont contact me!!!!!?
In december i got in an accident made a police report (cops came), i didnt have insurance at the time and he didnt have proof, it was a DL plate (dealer) anyhow we had court on feb 5th, and he plead ...

I need some advice....?
I am a teenager and I got a ticket going 70 in a 45. This is my first speeding ticket, is there anything I can do to keep my insurance from going up?
Additional Details
I got a ticket ...

If u were to see a license plate that had DTH8MOI would u know what it was saying?

Additional Details
It suppose to mean Don't Hate Me!! I guess back to the drawing board!! What about DNTH8ME...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links