Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

Must I have the car that I am driving insured and the title in my name?
Find answers to your legal question.

Must I have the car that I am driving insured and the title in my name?

The title is in my dad's name and he lives in Michigan. I live in Pittsburgh and the insurance is in my name.


No that is a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! PA is a VERY strict state to have your vehicles insured and registered!

#1 You cannot have a vehicle registered in Michigan and have it insured in PA... legally not allowed. You must have the vehicle titled AND registered in PA if it is insured in PA.

#2 You cannot insure a vehicle in your name if you do not own the vehicle and the "owner" resides in a different state

Here is the law to register a vh in PA:

-A valid title for all of the vehicles you want to register in Pennsylvania, issued in your name, from your previous state; and Proof of Pennsylvania insurance, such as a valid insurance identification card, declaration page of an insurance policy, a copy of a valid binder or a copy of an application for insurance to the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan for all of the vehicles you will be registering. These documents must indicate both effective and expiration dates.
-Completed Form MV-1. Note: Forms MV-1 and MV-4ST are not available online. These forms must be completed by an authorized agent of the Department. You will need to contact a notary or dealer for assistance with the completion of these forms.
-A tracing of the vehicle identification number (VIN) or the verification of the VIN by an inspection mechanic or notary public at a dealership or issuing agent.
-Appropriate title, lien, registration fees and sales tax (if applicable). Make checks or money orders payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Please do not send cash.

Please see the Penndot website :

I actually know someone who tried to have their vehicle registered in PA and their title from the state which they moved did NOT match his social secuity card nor did it match his drivers license, and he had to switch EVERYTHING into his legal birth name instead of the name which he had switched some stuff too. He had to get his social security card switched into his legal birth name, along with his drivers license AND his insurance just to get a car registered and titled in PA!!!!

If you have not already, you must get a PA drivers license, get the title switched from your dad's name in Michigan into your name, then transfer the title to PA in your name.

When you move to PA these are the correct steps to be taken to get everything switched over to PA:
#1 Get an insurance policy in PA
#2 Drivers License issued in PA
#3 Get your vehicle registered w/ tags and plates in PA

Yeah, that's a problem. As your dad doesn't own the car, he has no insurable interest, and the policy doesn't have to pay out, anything, to anyone.

Plus, in PA, you won't be able to get tags or inspection on a car where the insurance is in one name, and the title is in another. They're kinda fussy - no pa tags, unless the title is a PA title, and the name matches the one on the insurance.

Go Steelers.

David W
To avoid possible problems, have Dad sign the title over to you, then take it to the DMV and get it registered in your name.

scott c
You are good. Where is the vehicle registered ? You may run into a problem with that if stopped by police. You usually have about 30 days to register the vehicle where you live. If you are a student or such there is ways around it. But the titled owner does not affect who drives the vehicle. You may want a notarized letter from him stating you are the legal operator of his vehicle in case he ever gets mad and reports it stolen. Also is the vehicle insured as being in Pittsburgh ? You are fine if not , but if an accident occurs and the Ins. Co. finds out the car is parked full time in Pa. when they thought it was in Mi. they might give you some grief over coverage.

summer lovex3
I'm in the same situation. The car is mine, I'm the only one who drives it, but since my mom makes the payments it was easier for her to just put the title in her name. I do have the insurance to the car in my name as well. I've been pulled over a few times, yeah I know, and they've never said anything after reviewing my license and registration and everything. So I don't think it's a problem. I hope that helps. (:

Well then you are fine. You are legal. As long as it is titled and registered with plates and you have insurance that covers you. It doesnt need to be titled to you if it is your dads car and you are driving it or if you are buying it from him, etc. Just make sure you are covered and have insurance. There is jail time if caught after your second offense, some times on your first offense. And they are never too leniant at least around here they arent. Take care.

Well if its your car it should be in YOUR name

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Driving test books ??
I need a few tips on passing my driving test?? any ideas??...

 Anyone has serious info on buying genuine EU/UK driver licence?Thanks?

 Is a car that I previously owed still mine if the buyer didn't change the title information?
Just recently got a renewal form for a car that i got rid of a LONG time ago...it's still in my name. Does this mean i can still legally get it back? There aren't even proffs of it being ...

 I need help with car accident info?
Okay, first off I don't know what to do, I am stupid I know, please don't rub it in. Okay here's the deal;
Yesterday I was driving in Washington, I was in an accident. I rear ...

 I have failed my driving test 5 times. And have experienced 1 terminated test. I have another test in 2 weeks ?
I am really scared. Everytime i fail it makes me think i cant drive.
Additional Details
the trouble is i cant practise in anybody elses car as it is an auto....

 Can you get auto insurance with policy dated back a couple days?
I got a ticket for 5 over, I have a clean record but no insurance, can I buy insurance that will back up that date. It was sat the 14th
Additional Details
Stangeman, have heard all ...

 Penalty for driving without car insurance?
What would happen if i were to get caught driving without insurance in california?

I'm 17 years old. and a month.
Just got my license a few days ago.
My car is registered.<...

 Should I report the accident to car insurance?
My husband accidentally side swiped my friend's car when coming out of the driveway. Our deductable is $500. The estimates are ranging from 900-1200. The problem is, will our insurance go up a ...

 What should be my approach while talking to car insurance companies on phone?
Do i have to guarantee them that I'll buy theirs for them to start explaining everything to me? or can i say i'll come back and stuff? what should i exactly be doing, any help?


 In the UK can I buy a car from a dealer (arrange insurance, tax) if I don't have a driving license?
I am hoping to buy my daughter who is learning to drive, a car. She is under eighteen so I'd want to put the documents in my name. Can I do this if I don't have a driving license myself. A...

 Any one know where I can find an affordable car insurance on line?
In Monterey Park,...

 How do I drop my car insurance?
I have a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird that broke down on me. I only have liability and I'm insured with Farm Bureau....

 My car has been vandalised, apart from insurance claim can I claim some where else?
I have lost my no claims bonus and had to pay out the excess. Is there any agency similar to the one you can claim through for being attacked in the street, (criminal injuries)?...

 If i send my provisional licence off to the dvla to change my address can i still drive?

 Can a cop impound my parked car because it has an expired insurance card (but it is fully insured)?
The car was parked in an assigned lot where I live on a college campus. It was legally parked. My car was vandalized and therefore a cop was called. Apparently my insurance card was 7 days expired, ...

 How much will my insurance increase after I got a DUI?
I'm an 19 y/o male. I already know I made a bunch of big mistakes in my life, I just want to know how much this portion will cost.
Additional Details
yes, got a ticket for minor ...

 Ihave heard people talking about progressive insurance firm?
i am trying to insure my sons morocrosser bike, do you have an email address or anything for this progressive insurance firm ?...

 Traffic accident?
I bought a new car 2 weeks ago and i had full insurance. After 2 weeks later somebody hit my car. she was at fault and i have 14k damage and lady said to cops that she insured from progressive but ...

 Can i apply for a provisional licence 3 months before i am 16 in the u.k?
can i apply for a provisional licence 3 months before i am 16 in the u....

 Repossessing car I made payments on and ex girlfriend has?
I bought a car with a girl friend a few years ago it's about paid off I made all but one of the payments. Both our names are on the title and loan, I do have the title she has the car. I have ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links