Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My accident was considered a hit and run. Insurance wont cover damages to my car. What are my options?
Find answers to your legal question.

My accident was considered a hit and run. Insurance wont cover damages to my car. What are my options?

My parked vehicle was hit by a motorcyclist who was cut off by another motorist who fled the scene. The motorcyclist had insurance, but the police report said it was a hit and run, so the motorcyclist's insurance wont pay for my cars damage. This does not seem fair. My car was parked and I was at work. My car has been estimated to have between 2100-4500 in body damage. I dont have the money to fix it, so I am having to drive around my mashed up car. I have no idea what my legal options are. Should I write the motorcyclist and ask him to pay for the damages personally? Should I contact a lawyer?
Additional Details
My vehicle is paid off and gets good gas milage. im kicking myself now, but only had liability on my car. When it first happened, the motorcyclists insurance said they were going to give us so much money.. then all of a sudden it changed they are not going to pay at all. Keep in mind I was inside at work when the accident happened.. This is def not my fault!! In a traffic accident, if someone hits you and you fly into the car in front of you, and so on and so on, you are reliable for the car you hit. Even if the person that hit you took off.. This should be the same situation. The motorcyclist was cut off... NOT hit, and there for ran into my car. It just doesnt seem fair at all.. :(


Luna & Lawnboy
It does not sound as if the motorcyclist is liable for your damages. The hit and run motorist was the proximate cause of the accident. Just because the motorcyclist struck your vehicle does not make him automatically liable for your damages. You need to prove he was negligent. Perhaps you can recover a portion of your damages. If you sue the motorcyclist, he will refer the matter over to his insurance company. They will continue to defend him.

Sorry, you are out of luck since you do not have Collision Coverage

The cycle driver is legally liable for the damages to your vehicle. Get an estimate of the damages from a body shop you like. You should then send a "demand letter" to the cyclist, by certified mail, letting him know that if he doesn't pay that amount within a reasonable time - say 30 days - you will take him to court. Start a file on this with a copy of the demand letter, the police report, etc. If the cyclist is being prosecuted for the hit-and-run, you may not need a lawyer to sue him. The benefits of legal representation in a case like this is that it makes it most likely that you will be able to collect. Good luck!

Munya Says: DUH!
Why wont YOUR insurance cover the damage to your own car?
The same thing happened to me. My insurance took care of the damages on my car, and then they pursued the other people's insurance. I even got a loaner car while my car was fixed.
And, btw, it wasnt "hit and run" unless the motorcycle that hit your car "hit and run"---there's no such thing as "hit and run" when someone is cut off and they smash into your vehicle if they stop and exhange information. You are the injured party. Demand that your insurance cover the damage, and also that they pursue the other driver's policy as well.

The motorcyclist who hit your car has to pay for your car... He hit it with his car motorcycle and you will win no matter what...there are always reasons and eXcuse why a driver hits another driver, but they still have to pay.. all accidents are accidents, but he is still responsible.. That mans insurance company is responsible for finding the man he did the hit and run and if he cant they end up being responsible... his car hit your car, thats all there is to it.. why, how, where, and when dont matter, he is RESPONSIBLE.. and like the guy said above, your insurance will do the fighting for you, even if you just have liability

Your Insurance company will take care of this. You call them and tell them about the accident and give them the motorcyclist information. This is what insurace is here for; to do the fighting for us. If you don't have insurance then you have to press charges against this person and settle the matter in court.

The fact that the other driver fled the scene does not mitigate the motorcyclists responsibility. Your insurance company needs to abrogate the damages to the motorcyclists insurance company. I assume you do not have collision insurance, because if you did, then you would be covered regardless.
You should begin by calling your insurance company, and asking why the debt was not abrogated to the motorcyclists insurance.
Do not take no for an answer. Eventually you will wear them down.

#2 in the oven
Do you have uninsured/underinsured coverage? Might pursue coverage there unless you don't have that.

Even though you have only liability insurance, I think you should start with your own Insurance company for help and advice. Then you may want to try your states, Insurance commissioners office and or the office of consumer protection to see what the laws are........If that all fails, then you may want to hire a lawyer. Don't "dally" doing any/all of this. Time is important here.

Mr. Right
Your insurance should take care of the legal issues. You do have insurance do you?

Brown Pit named Blue
If you have collision coverage or uninsured motorists on your veh, you should file a claim w/ your insurance carrier.

You cannot go after the motorcyclist, because he was not at fault. Any court will see that.

Otherwise, you will have to pay out of pocket to get your car repaired.

Explain your situation to a lawyer. They can give the best advice at this moment. Look in your phonebook for lawyers that help with car accidents.

If you have uninsured motorists insurance on your car, then your insurance will pay for the damage less your deductible. The motorcyclist is actually the one at fault since he is the one that struck your car. That he chose to make an unsafe reaction to the threat to him is of no consequence.

The motorcyclists insurance company may "tell" you they aren't liable but it is up to you to make a "claim" and if they won't pay, then you sue the motorcyclist for the damage.

If an insurance company can convince you they aren't liable long enough for you to not make a claim, they get to keep the motorcyclists premiums and your damage money as well.

Old Fart
Lawyer is your only way to get a dime.

You should contact a lawyer.


The Wife

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Can an uninsured driver use another persons car if that person has fully comp. insurance?
My partner is convinced he can drive my sons car. My partner has not owned a car for 6 years and therefore has no insurance of his own. He is convinced he himself would not need insurance as long ...

 Do I need insurance?
I'm from New York, but I as of recently live year round in Massachusetts. If I buy a car and register it in the Greater Boston Area, is it required by law that I have Auto Insurance, or is that ...

 I was hit by a drunk driver. How much compensation should I ask for? Don't want to start to low. Whats average
The insurance company wants me to start the negotations with a figure. However I don't want to start to low. I sustained a sprained ankle and sore neck. My car is totaled. What is the average ...

 How many points can you recieve on your driving lience in thefirst 2 years of driving?

 Can please someone suggest the cheapest and yet good car insurance company?

 How much time do you have to get car insurance after buying a car?
I'm considering buying a car insurance, I've been driving for years but none of the cars have actually been in my name and my mom has me on her plan. If I buy a car I'll need ...

 Does anyone know how to find out the name of the registered owner of a vehicle?

 Are they responsible to pay?
I have been working in a school, I have been parking my car in th carpark, when I went to leave today the passenger window has been smashed. I only have 3rd party on my insurance so I am not covered ...

 They're trying to "Salvage" my vehicle!?
I hope you can give me some advice on this! I live in California. My vehicles interior was vandalized, and while I know exactly who did it, I have no proof, and cannot take them to civil court to ...

 I'm a 20 year old girl who has just passed my driving test,whats the best small car for insurance,as I dont kn
The car will be roughly 5 or 6 years old it goes by insurance band levels WHICH i AM LOST WITH...

 What is the best but cheapest car insurance for 23yr old guy in Florida?
im looking to buy a new car in the coming month but wasn't sure what insurance would help me save money and also provided great coverage just in case of an accident?...

 If your in an accident and it's not your fault does your insurance go up any?

 How long do points for speeding stay on your licence?

 What do I do when the other partys insurance wants me to pay more than book value for a car I damaged?
I was recently in a car accident. Unfortunately, I had no insurance. Therefore I am responsible for the damages. BUT the other partys insurance is trying to get me to pay more than her car is worth. I...

 Car insurance wont pay up!?
Right dilema. was involved in car accident, i tried to avoid a child who was playing chicken in the road, i hit this child and collided into a wall, my car is now a complete write off! Churchill wont ...

 My california driver's license just got suspended. Can I still drive in Texas?
My CA driver's license was suspended for over speeding. I feel really bad about it and don't plan to drive like this again. I am planning to visit Texas for a week and was hoping to get ...

 Who is the best for car insurance?

 Can you get car insurance with out a licence?? if so..how so?
i just bought a car for my mom...who is without a licence.
but she needs a car to take her drivers test in. (this is tecnically my frist car)
can i get the car registered without insurence?...

 Do you need to be on the auto insurance to drive a car you borrowed from someone?
my girl friend keeps yelling at me because she thinks its illegal that i borrowed my dads car for one night but im not on his insurance....

 I hired a van and scratched the bumber. They want £500 excess. Do I pay?
I only had £100 on me and the guy in the office said the damage wouldn't come to that. He took the money and said they would refund the difference so I would only pay the actual cost. Now I'...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, February 12, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links