Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My car is in my name, can my boyfriend register it and insure it without me on it for $ purposes?
Find answers to your legal question.

My car is in my name, can my boyfriend register it and insure it without me on it for $ purposes?

wizjp
Not as long as it is in your name. You have to register it as owner. Can do it with him in some states; but you'll have to sign on.

mbrcatz
Rating
Well, the problem with that is, then you don't have valid plates. The owner is one person, the insurance is someone else. He can't register it AT ALL unless you give him the car - and he retitles it in HIS name.

Lastly, if he registers it and insures it, and doesn't list you on it as a driver, that invalidates the insurance policy - it's called 'material misrepresentation', and the insurance company doesn't have to pay your claim.

Just sell the car, and get a bus pass, if you can't afford to drive insured.

adirolffun
Rating
If you make yourself the lein holder on the title and him as the owner, he can register it in his name, while protecting you in the event you break up, you can repossess the car as you hold a lein.

Rainy
Rating
as long as you don't plan on driving it . . .

cphill7406
Rating
Nope! When getting insurance, whosoever name in on title of the vehicle has to be on the insurance

stewiegriffin4president
The vehicle should be registered and insured the same way it is titled. Any other way is invalid.

oklatom
Rating
Yes, but only if you put it in his name, and never drive it. The minutes you are on it, even as a secondary driver, your information is on the insurance which drives up the price, assuming you have a bad driving record and that's why you're asking this question.

Then of course, in his name alone, if you break up, he takes the car with and there is nothing you can do about it.

Besides, the whole thing would be fraud really, do the right moral thing and be done with it.

blb
Rating
Not a chance!!!

Some companies will let you insure a vehicle that you don't own if you are the regular driver of that vehicle. In this case he would not be. There is a thing as misrepresentation with insurance. If you misrepresent yourself and there is a claim it could be denied. If you are living together the company can run a report that shows you are living together.

If you want to own a vehicle you have to be willing to pay the insurance premium

chrisisdifferent
If the car is in your name the other has to be to in the state of NC.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I damaged a car at work while on a forklift ,Should I pay even though shes claiming from the company insurance?
I have a certificate for the truck.
My boss says I need to admit liability so his insurance company will accept it.
If I have given all the correct info to the car owner and my boss has got ...

Should i carry on learning to drive?
hi i am 21years old and for my 21st birthday a few weeks ago my parents brought me a car. The thing is i have only had about 16 lessons and im still a total wreck when it comes to driving. It gets to ...

I hold a thrid party fire n theft insuarance and im over 25 yrs old can i drive any car with 3rd party insuar?

My husband got a DWI in a different state...does it affect his driving record in other states?
In 2004 my husband got a DWI, shortly after he moved to his home state, he never went to court on his offense and now he just paid it. But i am worried that it is going to affect our insurance rates, ...

Where can i find the cheapest car insurance?

How can u check to c if someone has a uk drivers licence or insurance without them knowing?

If you state on your insurance form your car does not have an immobiliser, then find out it does will it make?
a difference to the cost of insurance? (you are 2 months into it already)...

Problem with my car insurance company?
Just before new year, sitting stationary at a roundabout, old guy bashed into back of me. Exchanged details and went through the insurance. Nearly 4 months on...and my insurance company is still ...

Car insurance claim?
Someone reversed into the front of my son's car today. She admitted responsibility and gave her details. My son has contacted his insurance and they are contacting hers.
My question is;

Can I fix my own car AND collect insurance money?
If someone hits me and the insurance company cuts me a check. And then I fix the car myself is that legal?

I didn't know if that money was yours to do what you want with it or if you ...

Who is at fault???
I was driving at a junction , very slowly, max 15 mph, and the car in front breaked suddenly as we were turning right. I bumped into the back of her car, she had a tow bar on , so I got the most ...

Car Insurance for someone who has made a claim and has 3 points on thier licence?
I am looking for car insurance for my mum - she is 49 years old. She has 3 points on her licence (from going through an amber/red light 2 years ago and she recently made a claim after scraping the ...

Can i sue the guy that is at fault for hitting me in a car accident if he doesnt have insurance?
I was involved in a car accident and the person who hit me was determined at fault. After he hit me, he fled the scene to hide his car because he had drugs in his car. He begged me not to call the ...

After a car is declared a total loss by insurance,what happens to the vehicle?
can i get the check and the ...

How do i obtain a car title that is missing and the person that gave it to me passed away?
my aunt gave me a saturn..and im trying to get it switched over to my name but i cant with out the car title..my aunt passed away from cancer recently..we looked everywhere for the title..i cant find ...

Someone hit my car over a week ago now, said they'd pay in full, but now "paying 1/2." what should I do?
I was parked on their road and their 16 year old daughter backed into my car. They left a note saying to come talk to them, and I did. I went to their house with the phone in my hands to call the ...

If I barely scuffed a bumper while backing out, and there were no witnesses or police report?
There were no recorded witnesses, no police report, but he did get my insurance information. Is it true that he doesn't have enough to make me or my insurance pay unless I admit my fault? Also,...

What company do you use for auto insurance?
What kind of coverage do you have and is it cheap? I have Statefarm and I think they are ripping me off. On every one of my statements they list "policy changes" and charge around five ...

Do you have to have a insurence under YOUR name to drive your parents car once or twice a week?

What is the best car insurance for a teen driver?
I need to find insurance for myself, and wanted to know what other people use or think is the best place to get it from. I need to pay for it by myself with out help form my parents too so it can'...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, September 19, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links