Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My driver license expired last May. To renew it, do I have to take the driving test again?
Find answers to your legal question.

My driver license expired last May. To renew it, do I have to take the driving test again?

I tried to call DMV but the line is always busy. I can't find the info on their site. I'm in California by the way.

ca_surveyor
THere is a grace period, but I think it is only 6 months.

JUST in case it is 12 months, you should hustle and get down there. Even if you have to take the test, the process starts with the application and, if you are not prepared for the test you can come back later... at least you will have your answer AND your process restarted.

Call the DMV and make an appointment.. that is much easier then waiting..

Carl
I would say no. You just need to go to the DMV and update any changed information and get a new photo/card with the updated date.

oklatom
Rating
You'll have to go in and do it in person, the grace period is 60 days. You will have to take a written test, and depending on your driving record perhaps a driving test. They will tell you when you get there.

George A
Rating
I just looked there myself to verify my response & did not see anything specific either.

I believe from what I recall from reading somewhere, that for a non-commercial d/l, if you go more than 6 months without a valid d/l, that you are required to retest. For a CDL it is 2 years before you have to retest & that is posted in the website (what good that does you, huh?).

I've heard that it is hard to contact DMV there anymore. And they expect you to call to schedule an appointment, yet you can't get through to get an answer to a question.

You could do this, be prepared to take all applicable tests again, but hope that you don't have to.

u r s i
Rating
Most likely you'll have to take it all over again, written test as well as driving test.

Calling the local office generally gets one very little answers; I'd go there in person.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Car in Impound, cant get oof hold?
My car was impounded, and is on hold, because an officer needs to talk to the other guy that was with me... Now i have talked to this officer, and the other guy has ried... 3 times, we cant get a ...

How long does it take for your License to arrive in the mail in Massachusetts?
I passed the road exam today, and got my temp license. Just wondering when the real license will arrive in the mail....

I want to change the car papers of my deceased husband in my name. Please tell me the procedure for it.?
My deceased husband has left a hyundai santro car. The outstanding loan on it has been cleared and the hypothecation papers have also been released on my name. I am living in chennai but the car has ...

California Drivers Ed Final Questions 10 Points Best?
1) Driving in California is ________?

A privilege granted by the state.
A right all citizens are entitled to.
Guaranteed by the Constitution.

Do some of these Geico commercials......?
...make you want to put a bullet in your head?

They do me........

I was stopped by a cop with no explanation?
but was cited for no no insurance,registration and dead tags i was on my way to the body shop to get work done while my paper work and stuff was being done.....i wasnt given any explantion on why i ...

I got into an accident a month ago (the other person's fault) and ended up losing their insurance info. Help!!?
So I got into an accident, where it was most definitely his fault. I got his insurance info, and we parted ways. Now that he decided he doesn't have enough money to pay me cash up front, I have ...

What documents are needed o obtain a Learner's Permit in VA?
I need to know what to bring with me to the DMV to get my permit....

Question regarding car insurance age of first US licence?
Hi:...

How do i get my licenses back when the DMV suspended then due to uninsured motor accident? (it's not my fault)?
Hi, about a year ago a was in a car accident at a intersection, my light was green just going to yellow as i crossed the crosswalk when i noticed a car coming too fast to stop, coming from my left ...

Does anybody has the california dmv written questions in spanish.?
in word format

thank ...

What is the cheapest car insurance company for ireland?
320 D ...

Insurance question please. ASAP?
Hopefully some of you more skilled in car insurance can help me with a claims decision. Here's the scenario:

April 2nd @ 5:30 pm - Car accident - I get the ticket following to ...

When are people too old to drive in the State of Illinois?
My mother is 88 years old and she is vibrant and extremely healthy. She was wondering if there is a limit to the age of drivers here. I am, too. Thanks, guys. Also, I didn't know which ...

What should be a fair settlement for my car accident?
I was rear ended last November and made a claim against my insurance company, not the at-fault party's insurance. This is my first and I hope the last accident I am involved in and I have no ...

Making a 'SORN' - off road notification?
I bought a car yesterday and filled in a form to change keeper and get my registration certificate. The tax also ran out yesterday.
I won't be getting it retaxed for about a month or 2, so ...

Car Insurance Ford Mustang?
Hi,
How much would car insurance cost for a 2006 Ford Mustang v6 4.0 ltr.
Ill be 17 with a full UK license. No crashes / convictions.
T...

Car hard to start in morning revised?
ok.I have a 1991 olds calais quad 442, 5 speed manual. in the morning it acts like it is a old carb thats really cold and takes forever to start, and it always backfires. btw its fuel injection. when ...

Should I go for my permit or wait and get my license?
Alright, so here is the story, and question.

I'm 17 and turn 18 on may 16th.
Here in Oregon once you turn 18 you can take the driving test and get your license right then.
H...

Why has my insurance gone up by 145.99!? Now that I hold a Full license?
I have recently passed my driving test and so wish to change my insurance policy from 'Learner' to 'full Uk license'. I just got quoted 145.99 just to change this. I can't ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, July 28, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links