Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My friend used my car and had a wreck, who pays for damages?
Find answers to your legal question.

My friend used my car and had a wreck, who pays for damages?

My insurance will not cover the damages, who pays for damages.

bayareart1
go see judge judy

Jason O
if your friend uses your car then it is hid responsibility to return it to you in the same condition in which he borrowed it. The onus is on him to repair the damage or (if it was the other car's fault) pursue the insurance company for the money. You should not have to do anything at all.

oklatom
Rating
Interesting choice of words after the fact. "My friend used my car..." instead of the truth, "I loaned my car to a friend..."

Anyone driving your vehicle with your permission is covered under your insurance. Since your insurance has said no to covering damages, that tells me you didn't have collision coverage, and it was your friend's fault.

So, you pay if you want your car fixed. You can ask your friend to pay you back, and probably have an ex-friend as a result--unless that has already happened.

You can take friend to small claims to get it back if you are so moved. That's assuming he or she has any assets.

Big C
Rating
Your friend should pay otherwise you may have to take him to small claims court to get the money from him.

mei-lin
Many policies would cover this type of situation if you gave your friend permission. Some policies cover only drivers listed on the policy. You don't really say why your claim was denied.

You are ultimately responsible because the car is in your name, however, your friend morally should step up and pay damages. If your friend won't, you need a new friend.

Neil H
Rating
if this person is on your insurance then legally its your problem, but if where driving it on there insurance they legally its there problem.

bez
Rating
If your insurance doesnt cover it does your friends? I mean with my insurance I am insured to drive any other car with the owners persmission otherwise your friend should pay for it out of his/her own pocket you were good enough to lend it to them in the first place. This happened to my parents they lent a friend's son their car and he wrote it off so his parents bought the car from parents which was fair enough.

?
Rating
If your car is insured, I'd think that your insurance company would pay for it, if your friend was at fault.

I was in an accident last year. The other driver was at fault and she was driving someone else's car. The owner's insurance wound up paying for repairs to my van.

WelshLad
Should be your friend but if they don't, then not much of a friend.

Mariza M
first of all: who's fault was it; your friend or the other person
second of all: if it was your friend, technically you should pay for the damages because it's your car, BUT, he should be paying you back in a timely fashion because it was his responcibility to get the car back to you --accident free

nirvanalive88
well...it depends whether it's a guy frend or girl frend...u've posted ur problem here so it must be a quite terrible wreck.....same opinion as the previous ...morally ur frend should be steady lor and pay......

Columbo
Rating
If your friend is over 25 and fully comp he can claim under his insurance.

If he had your permision, then technically all responsability relies with you. If you dont want to be there friend anymore, go to the police and say they took it without permision, and get them arrested for a laugh

arethusa_lad
This thing should be sorted before letting a friend drive away in your transport. It is your vehical so it is your bill, you can then ask or sue your ex friend for the cash involved... Makes me muse on things like locking stables after horses have wandered off.

Amberlyn4
Rating
Legally its your car and you loaned it so its your bill but morally your friend should pay-why dont you guys split the bill that way its fairer for both of you.

April P
You are responsible for your own vehicle. However, if you want your friend to pay and they wont, you can take them to small claims (if it is under a certain dollar amount). You can also ask if your friend has coverage for things they drive, you may be able to turn it in on their policy. It just depends on how they are written. Its still worth trying.

Question? Was there a police report filed? That would give an accurate account of who was driving, therefore giving you plenty of ammunition for a case.

Nate W
Rating
Oklatom is right, but we need more information to give an accurate answer.
Whose fault was the accident?-If it was the other driver's their insurance should cover your damages.

Was the other car damaged or driver hurt?-If it was your friend's fault, your insurance and his should cover this.

Do you have Collision coverage?-Again, if you have this coverage, and it was your friends fault, then this will cover your damages. If not, which it sounds like you don't, then you are held responsible for your car. If he's willing to help with the repair costs then great, but ultimately your the one that allowed him to drive your car.

Joann
your friends pays!!

lynxd67
Rating
Quite a complex question really. First of all was he insured under your insurance to drive it? If not, did you advise him before he drove it and asked if he had his own insurance? If so, can you prove that? The simple answer (if there is such) is that it is your car and so the repairs are your responsibility but if your friend had indicated that he had other insurance and you were satisfied with his reply then he is liable. Was there a third party involved? The position here is complicated and the only answer is to contact a lawyer. Expensive though lawyers are the outcome (especially if someone was injured in the other car) could be horrendously expensive although possibly covered by the State scheme.

Morally, if your friend didn't know he wasn't insured, he is liable but does your friendship go that far? Most friendships stop when money is involved. But legally the problem is yours. Furthermore, there could be a prosecution if he believed he was insured by you and wasn't.

I suggest, if there was a third party involved, that you contact someone for advice. If not, you may have an ex friend if he doesn't want to pay because you can't force him.

Munki nutz
Rating
Your friends insurance will pay for damages they caused to any third party. As long as their insurance covers them for the use of other peoples vehicles.

This means that they were not covered for any damage they caused to you car.

kbags417
Rating
The friends insurance should cover the damages...

Angel
My adult (22 year-old) son has a driver's license but no car, so therefore no insurance of his own. He was driving his friend's car to do a favor for her. He backed into a pole and broke her car's tail light, scraped the bumper and scratched the paint on the back quarter panel. Turns out she has no collision insurance, so she wants him to pay 100% to fix it. He was willing to pay for the damage, but the estimate she got was for $3500 damages (including a TOTAL paint job.) The blue book value on the car is only $3000. My son says she has a lot of crazy friends, and she might have them hurt him if he doesn't pay her. Any suggestions???

armos
if i lend my car to my half sister she takes it over 400 kilometers and then notices the temp rising however she keeps driving and causes the motor to stop full stop no longer can run who pays for the damage

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Does any body know of ways to reduce car insurance?
i have been told of a few like adding an older more exeprience parent on it and doin pass plus but what is the best y as im 17 andhave realized hw big expensive it is oging to ...

What is the grace period of a car tax disc? (uk)?
if your car tax disc runs out what is the grace period period after, before they start chasing you for no car tax?...

Does anyone know if i have to take a theory test to have UK drivers licence?
i have a foriegn licence (not uk or eu) and i can use it for a year in the uk and then i have to get a uk licence. i know that i have to take a driving test to get one but does anyone know if i have ...

Car crash?
what would happen if i was at a traffic lights or something, and a car bumped into me or crashed and then drove off? if i didnt have the reg plate, how would they get done for it? would i have tp pay ...

Is an untaxed car being driven on the road illegal?
If so, who do you report it to and does it being untaxed mean that the insurance is invalid? Do you know what sort of penalty this would inccur?...

What do you have to do to get your driving permit?
i know how old you have to be......

Can my mother rent a car without a license but I can use mine at the age of 20?

Can they get away with this??
In April my younger brother bumped into a police car whilst waiting at some traffic lights. They were both stationary and he took his foot off the brake and rolled into them. The copper went mad at ...

Cheapest Car Insurance in the UK ?
WHere can i find the cheapest car insurance in the UK for a 25 yr Old lad, with Zero NCD, Mondeo 2.0TDCI LX yr 2002/02. Living in the Coventry A...

Which car insurence is better, allstate or state farm?

If your car is sitting on the road with mot and tax does it need to be insured even though it isnt being used?
my car was writing off by a drink driver whilst it was at the roadside,i had just bought it and it was mot'd and taxed,my insurance company says my insurance was nul and void as i hadnt passed ...

Is it illegal to leave your keys in your car, hoping sombody will steal it so it gets paid off?
are there any legal ramafacations if u leave ur keys in your vehical hoping some thief will take it and ur insurance company will pay it off?...

What if a 16 year old without a drivers license does a minor hit and run and crashes into a electrical box?
the 16 year old boy has a permit but not a drivers license, and he scratched the vehicle to the right slightly but hesistated and turned right on the street and turned again and crashed into a ...

My 10 year old son pulled out onto the road on his bike and hit an oncoming car, do i have to pay for damage?
my son pulled into the road without looking, the car was going slow and fortunately my son wasn't hurt. the driver says it was his fault and wants me to pay her insurance excess. where do i ...

Acutal Cash Value of the vehicle?
It's a 2006 Mazda Tribute I, with 25,000 miles, excellent condition....

I don't have car insurance, and someone hit me, do I have the right to request that their insurance pay damage

How can I lower my car insurance?
I dont know why my car insurance is so high compared to my friends. I own a 2005 suzuki Forenza, I'm married, have no tickets and its still $176.00 per month, while my unmarried friends with ...

If youve misedplace your drivers liscence can you get a replacement via online or do you have to go to the dmv

I got 6 points driving a car without insurance and now i want to insure my motor bike, do i have to tell the?
i got 6 points driving a car without insurance and now i want to insure my motor bike, do i have to tell the insurance company that i got 6 points driving. which will increase the policy. or r they ...

I was rear-ended - what now?
Yesterday my 2003 Kia Rio hatchback was rear-ended by a Verizon phone-company truck. No injuries, thank God, but our car is almost certainly totalled - the tailgate was *twisted* and it looks like ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links