Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My insurance is under my name, but car title and registration is under my mom's name?
Find answers to your legal question.

My insurance is under my name, but car title and registration is under my mom's name?

I didn't buy the car, the car is a gift. I paid insurance for this car, but my mom's name is on the title and registration.

Is it possible or easier to just switch the title and registration to my name or what?

jajadajade
Rating
nope

Bill M
Yeah, just get her to sign the papers.

Chris
Rating
It's very easy, just get her to sign the registration forms into your name then post them off to the DVLA (Or the American equivalent!)

stewiegriffin4president
If the vehicle is titled and registered in your mother's name, it should be insured in her name as well, or else your insurance is invalid.

She should be able to sign the title over to you, then you may register it in your name. Then everything will be correct and your insurance will be fine just as it is.

blb
Most companies will not insure a vehicle that is not titled in your name. You have to have a financial interest in the vehicle in order to insure it. Some companies don't care so you really need to check with your insurance company to find out. You could also add your mom to your policy if she doesn't want to sign the title over to you. The best thing is to have her sign over the title to you. In most states there is no tax on a vehicle that is a gift from parent to child. You will have to pay for a new title.

felicialuvsbilly
Rating
I don't know if it matters between states but where I live mine is the same way. My dad bought me a vehicle as a gift and I pay the insurance and it's in my name.. That shouldn't matter as long as you have insurance... A lot of people don't even have it!

Pedro S
just have her sign title and reg to you....[and pay the $] at the DMV or where ever you do yours.

expertless
Have your mothers name added to your insurance policy.

Sue
Rating
You need to have her sign the car over to you as soon as possible because you can't insure something you don't own. Your policy will not cover the car until this is done (unless you have Progessive = for some reason they don't care - but still, I would do it because I'm sure your mother won't want to be held liable for any accident you have). Have her sign the back of the title as the seller, you sign as the buyer (you may not have to pay tax on the car if it is a gift between relatives - check with your local DMV though to be sure - or you may have to put down a nominal purchase price) and take the title to the DMV with your proof of insurance & they will have a title & registration & plates put in your name. It may be right away, it may have to be mailed to you. If the plates have to be mailed to you, they will give you temporary plates.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How Long Is The Waiting List For The Practical Driving Test Roughly?
Just a rough guide because obviously i know it will be different in different places.

(i lives in surrey)...

How do I not get my license suspended for not having insurance?
Today I was in an accident and my parents usually pay my insurance bill but they forgot and it's been about 2 months, how do I go about not having my license suspended. ( Yes I am now insured, ...

Car accident?
we are covered by State Farm but my wife got involved in an accident..other drivers fault...two weeks prior to the accident we notified state farm we were switching our coverage to GEICO at the end ...

If i am caught today, for driving without insurance, will i fill it as a criminal offence that day, or untill ?
after the courts ...

How do i gain a C1 driving licence?
I have a standard driving licence and want to apply to be an ambulance care assistant but on the application form it states I must hold a C1 licence! Please ...

How much do teens pay for car insurance a month?
If i am 17 years old buying a brand new 2009 car sedan about how much will i pay monthly on insurance?...

Tax Disc Holder?
Is it okay not to use a tax disc holder? Will the disc actually damage the windscreen???...

My daughter let a friend drive her car and was in an accident.?
It was the friends fault. Who's insurance will cover? The driver or the owner of the car?...

I just got into a car accident and whats going to happen if i dont have insurance for that car?
Okay so on Monday, I was parked on one side of the street and because of street cleaning I uturned across the street into two other cars that were parked and some lady backed up trying to park in ...

The police are trying to give me 6 points because my flatmate was caught driving my car with 2 illegal tyres?
Can they do this?

Can I defend myself without landing my flatmate in it?

He is getting 6 points as well....

I'm using my parents insurance but....?
I'm using my parents insurance but my name isn't listed on their policy, not even as an occasional driver because it'll cost too much. Of course an insurance agent will tell you that ...

Would you buy a car that had 666 on the license plate?
I wouldn't....

Written driving test coming up...should I be nervous?
I'm really excited to get my permit soon...I'm just nervous for the test! I've been reviewing, I'm just scared I might not know some material that's in the test...it's ...

Full coverage or liability??
I purchased a new car last year and some unexpected financial came up this year and I can no longer afford my almost $200 full coverage insurance. Is it ok to just have liability for a car that I ...

I took over paymts on a friends car, he is the registered owner. If I crash will he be liable? What can we do?
I heard of a document "Release of liability" but how does that work? Could he do the "Notice of Transfer" through DMV even though he's gonna keep his name as the registered ...

My band wants to get an indoor trailer to haul our equipment to shows. Do you have to have insurance on it?
Were from PA...

Auto Insurance, Injury Claims?
My boyfriend was hit by a drunk driver while working. Any advice on the best way to collect for injury etc.? State of C...

I was hit by a kid who ran a red light, but the damage may not be enough to total my car.?
I was hit one week ago by a young kid who ran a red light. He was cited for running the red light. Although the damage to my 6 week old car appears severe, the preliminary assessment is that the ...

How do i get my car back from my mom?!?
Saturday night I went to my friends house because he was having a party. I told my mom while I was there that I wasn't coming home because I was drinking, which she's been perfectly fine ...

Should aunt give up driving?
We are concerned about our aunt who is 80 years old. She drives a small car every day (short distances) but recently had a accident where she drove into her gate post. Last month she had her ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links