Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My parked car was hit and totaled. Advice please? Serious answers only.?
Find answers to your legal question.

My parked car was hit and totaled. Advice please? Serious answers only.?

I have on street parking. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, my car AND my husband's car were parked, one right behind the other on our street.
A theif driving a stolen car T-boned us, ripping off the back of my husband's car, and totally wrecking the front of mine. His can be repaired, but mine was totaled.
My insurance will pay my lein holder the value of my car, but I still owe a good $2000 +change for the car. Because it was used and I could not have GAP insurance, I'm responsible for the difference.
I received a letter in the mail yesterday from the insurance company of the OWNER of the stolen vehichle stating that they received my claim, but that the car has not been insured since 12/2007. So where does this leave me? Can someone give me some insight?
Additional Details
The police never caught the thief.

Luna & Lawnboy
Good luck suing the driver of the stolen vehicle. Don't bother going that route as recommended by another answerer.

Even if the owner's policy was in effect on the date of the loss, the insurance company would not pay you for the damage to your vehicle. The vehicle was stolen. The owner was not legally liable for the damage to your vehicle. Most policies, if not all, clearly state they will not pay property damage if the vehicle is stolen.

Anyway, as you already know, you are entitled to the Actual Cash Value of your vehicle only. If you have not already done so, contact the claims rep, and ask for a breakdown of how they determined the ACV.

Make sure that they included all of your options and have the correct mileage. What condition did they run the value through as? Excellent, Good, Fair or Poor? Did they deduct any old damage?

If you are still not happy with the offer, check your policy to see if you have an arbitration clause that allows you and your insurance company to participate in arbitration. An arbitrator can decide what the ACV should be.

Insuranceman
Had there BEEN insurance on the car that the thief was driving - it probably would not have done you any good due to certain exclusions on standard auto policies - not a permissive driver, committing a crime while driving, etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like you are stuck for this one. YOUR insurance company is only going to pay the ACV (Actual Cash Value) of YOUR car - irregardless of what you OWE on the car.

You might get some relief by going to your lien-holder and asking what the "loan payoff amount" is - as they should discount some interest. If not, perhaps they will roll the amount owed into another car loan - this will put you "upside down" in your new note, but, it might buy you some time to pay off the balance on the original loan.

Call a LOCAL independent agent for insurance. Sometimes they offer GAP insurance on older cars - but, it won't help you THIS time.

Good luck with your problem and I hope this helps!

shjf47
Rating
Lawn Boy & Luna have the correct answer.

ed
Rating
A thief, stolen car, huh?

This is where the phrase fits.
Up the creek without a paddle.

If the thief is not habitual and a judge decides not to jail him, the thief may be required to pay for damages.

I once had a burglary and this happenend. But, good luck, the burgler made a couple payments and never saw him again.

Mad Jack
You can sue the gut that hit you for the difference. But unfortunately, this guy is most likely going to prison and probably isn't going to be able to pay.

But it is not the lien holder's fault either and they deserve to be paid.

Unfortunately, you may be the loser here.

Sorry

IWIU
Rating
You should have uninsured motorist insurance, unless you chose not to have it, but it's very very cheap, and most people have it

then since he didn't have insurance, your company should pay for it.

but in the case of a stolen car, I'm not sure how that works

loonatic72
Your going to have to sue the guy that hit you for the difference

Jenna
I'm assuming you are in the States? In Canada we have a government fund that provides money for accidents like that were the one at fault has no insurance.

If that isn't an option the only thing I can think of is small claims court in which you would sue the thief directly for the amount you owe.

Try and get a free consultation from a lawyer and see what they think about your case.

koma
Rating
you car sue the thief and the cars owner, he's suppose to be insured....good luck

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Thought I was co-signing on son's car loan, but now realize I am the primary..?
Three years ago my son wanted a truck and asked me if I would consider co-signing for it. Unfortunately, I went ahead and did it. I was told I was only co-signing, but after calling the bank which ...

How do I start the process of getting my permit?

Additional Details
I live in North Texas....

I hit a car. The driver sent me estimates. Should I pay her or get my insurance to?
I wanted to keep the insurance company out of it because I thought it would be less expensive than it is (a dent on the door), but the estimate she got from two reputable shops are at or more than ...

Can a car with no mot be driven to a mot station ?
what about with no mot or tax ? im sure either way driver must have ...

Report hit and run?
if i reported a car registration number that grazed the side of my car while passing and drove away, how long will it take for my insurance people or the police to find them.

would help if ...

Do i need insurance?
ok im 19 and with a license ..im afraid to go driving because i dont know if i need individual insurance? if that even makes sense..the car is insured tho..do i need to get insurance for myself or ...

In Britain, why are the front vehicle registration plates white but the back ones yellow?
Somehing to do with lights maybe? I dont know!...

Allstate totalled my car!?
I am the victim, but I drive a beater and now they want to give me 15 hundred and I can't get rolling for that little money. Should I threaten them with a lawer or something?...

I turn 21 on a saturday but the dmv is closed. can i still go out and celebrate that night with my old one?

When people have learnt to drive an automatic car how long has it taken them?
I am thinking about learning to drive an automatic instead of a manual so i am weighing up the pros and cons ....

Whats better: Confused.com or Compare the Market.com....?
For car I...

Personalised number plates?
my boyfriend wants one for xmas but i cant find one anywhere thats under £500
his name is adam wesson and he was born in 1990 if anyone knows of any
or has any ideas of where to find one<...

Whats your nickname?How did you get it?
Mine is either Bumper or Superwoman because one time I jumped up and tried to touch the dorrway roof and I ended up bumping into the door and fell backwards in front of my whole class.I gto S...

What is the cheapest car insurance for new a teen drive

Additional Details
I am 16 and live in F...

Drivers Licence?
I recently got married and want to change my name on my driver's licence. Will it cost anything to do this? I am in the UK. T...

Ive been given a producer from the police and when ive checked my insurance details its expired plz help?

Can a car be insured after it has been written off by the Insurers, but repaired by local repairers?
I bumped into the back of a 4x4 wheel on back door and the bonnet has buckled up and smashed the headlight drivers ...

Hey......mmmmm good?
is anyone eating cocoa puffs? omg..they are so good...especially since i'm a little tipsy...hehe..

gimmie some answers ...

I am 17 1/2 years old can I go and take the license test without permit and certificate of drivers training?
Also if I failed the test For example If i failed test NO.3 the next time i go to the DMV to take the test will i get Test NO. 4? like does it come in order or is it random???.... and also if i ...

Can you renew your driver's license with a warrent out for your arrest?
My b/f got a speeding ticket awhile back (not sure how long) and the things that their might be a warrent out for his arrest and his license expired. Will they issue him a license if he has a warrent ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links